Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 233 miles from Pennsylvania to New Jersey ranges from $518 to $685 and takes 1-4 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our New Jersey to Pennsylvania car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey
Because the distance between Pennsylvania to New Jersey is about 233 miles, it’ll take from 1 to 4 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Philadelphia, PA to New Jersey
- Philadelphia to Trenton: $233 to $400
- Philadelphia to Newark: $328 to $524
- Philadelphia to Jersey City: $352 to $546
- Philadelphia to Atlantic City: $268 to $451
- Philadelphia to Ocean City: $268 to $451
Cost to ship a car from Scranton, PA to New Jersey
- Scranton to Trenton: $412 to $595
- Scranton to Newark: $389 to $578
- Scranton to Jersey City: $389 to $578
- Scranton to Atlantic City: $478 to $633
- Scranton to Ocean City: $478 to $633
Cost to ship a car from Lancaster, PA to New Jersey
- Lancaster to Trenton: $328 to $524
- Lancaster to Newark: $417 to $594
- Lancaster to Jersey City: $417 to $594
- Lancaster to Atlantic City: $402 to $590
- Lancaster to Ocean City: $402 to $590
Cost to ship a car from Pittsburgh , PA to New Jersey
- Pittsburgh to Trenton: $581 to $793
- Pittsburgh to Newark: $639 to $873
- Pittsburgh to Jersey City: $639 to $873
- Pittsburgh to Atlantic City: $639 to $873
- Pittsburgh to Ocean City: $639 to $873
Cost to ship a car from Erie, PA to New Jersey
- Erie to Trenton: $704 to $965
- Erie to Newark: $685 to $938
- Erie to Jersey City: $704 to $965
- Erie to Atlantic City: $721 to $989
- Erie to Ocean City: $721 to $989
Shipping an SUV or Truck from Pennsylvania to New Jersey
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from Pennsylvania to New Jersey you should expect to pay between $648 and $856.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to New Jersey will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey should take between 1 and 4 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in Pennsylvania and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in New Jersey. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best Pennsylvania to New Jersey movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- Pennsylvania to New Jersey movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from Pennsylvania to New Jersey.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and Pennsylvania car shippers you should use.
The best Pennsylvania to New Jersey car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from Pennsylvania to New Jersey works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from Pennsylvania to New Jersey.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in Pennsylvania where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in New Jersey on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey?
- Car Insurance requirements: In New Jersey, the minimum required auto insurance coverage is $15,000 per person for bodily injury, with a maximum of $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for property damage in case of a covered accident.
- Vehicle Inspection: If you are planning to reside in New Jersey for a minimum of 6 months, it is mandatory to transfer the title of your vehicle, register it, and obtain a driver's license from the state. As a new resident, you have 60 days from the date of establishing your residency to register your vehicle. It is important to note that before registering your vehicle, you are required to have liability insurance coverage as per the New Jersey state laws.
- Driver’s License: As per the state laws of New Jersey, new residents are expected to transfer their driver's license and register their vehicles within 60 days of arriving in the state. However, during public health crises, this time frame may be extended to 120 days. It is important to note that there won't be any reminders for this, so it's recommended to keep a record of the date of your arrival in the state.
- Additional Taxes: New Jersey law requires residents to transfer their vehicle title and registration within 60 days of moving to the state. The transfer title fee is $60 for standard vehicle, $85 for financed vehicle with one lien, $110 for financed vehicle with two liens and registration fee and tax may apply unless you are eligible for a sales tax exemption.
Alternative ways to ship your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 233 miles on your car going from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in Pennsylvania and when dropping off my car in New Jersey?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in Pennsylvania and when dropping it off in New Jersey.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to New Jersey, which you should verify before loading your car in Pennsylvania.
How long does it take to ship a car from Pennsylvania to New Jersey?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from Pennsylvania to New Jersey being about 233 miles, that’s as fast as about 1 day. But most car transporting companies will take 1-4 days to go from Pennsylvania to New Jersey.