Moving from San Jose, CA to Florida: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Jose, CA to Florida averages from $1,760 to $8,221 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Florida to San Jose, CA guide.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Florida. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best San Jose, CA to Florida movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Jose to Florida.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Jose, CA to Florida car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 2,836 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Jose, CA to Florida?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,372 - $5,785||$1,481 - $3,691||$1,625 - $3,152|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,094 - $8,221||$2,626 - $5,490||$1,760 - $3,753|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,704 - $12,739||$3,624 - $7,492||$2,225 - $4,607|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,836 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Jose, CA to Florida will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Pick from the Best San Jose to Florida Movers
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from San Jose, CA to Florida?
To ship furniture from San Jose to Florida with a mover will cost between $1,372 to $5,785. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Man Jose to FL will range from $4,094 to $8,221, and a large move from San Jose to Florida will cost from $7,704 to $12,739.
How much are moving containers like PODS from San Jose, CA to Florida?
Moving pods from San Jose to Florida will cost you $1,481 to $3,691 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,626 to $5,490. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,624 to $7,492.
How much is a moving truck from San Jose, CA to Florida?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,625 to $3,152. A larger move will cost $1,760 to $3,753, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Jose to Florida costs from $2,225 to $4,607.
How to ship a car from San Jose, CA to Florida?
If you're planning a move from San Jose to Florida and need to ship your car, it's important to find a reputable car shipping company. Look for top-rated companies that specialize in San Jose to Florida car shipping and compare quotes and services to find the right option for you.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from San Jose, CA to Florida a good idea?
If you’re moving to Florida from San Jose, CA, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: San Jose, CA vs Florida
|San Jose, CA||Florida|
|Average rent cost||$2,500||$1,175|
|Average home cost||$1,444,420||$356,349|
|Average income (per capita)||$75,709||$57,703|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||0.0%|
Florida sources: World Population Review, US Census Bureau, US BLS, Tax Foundation
- Rent is about 88% less expensive in Florida than in San Jose.
- Home prices are about 143.5% lower in Florida than in San Jose.
- The average income is about 22.9% lower in Florida than in San Jose.
- Florida has a lower unemployment rate than San Jose by about 60.3%.
- Income taxes are 100.00% lower in Florida than in San Jose.
How is life different in San Jose, CA from Florida?
|San Jose, CA||Florida|
|Political leaning||Democratic 73-25||Republican 51-48|
Florida sources: US Census Bureau, 270TOWIN, BestPlaces
- The population of Florida is approximately 2,050% greater than the population of San Jose.
- In the last presidential election, Florida voted Republican and San Jose voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Florida is 91ºF and in San Jose, it’s 82ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Florida reaches the temperature of 49ºF and San Jose gets down to 42ºF.
- You can expect about 55 inches of annual rainfall in Florida vs 17 inches of rainfall in San Jose.
- In Florida, it snows about 0 inches annually vs 0 inches of snow in San Jose.
- Florida has a lower crime rate than San Jose with a crime index of 28.18 vs 21.73.
Considerations for moving to Florida
- Weather: Severe weather is a common occurrence in Florida, as Florida is the most hurricane-prone state in the US. June 1st and November 30 is the time when most hurricanes in Florida occur, the most severe dates lie between August - October. Be sure to check your local weather station before your move as Florida is known for its thunderstorms and high levels of precipitation. Perhaps plan for a Winter or Springtime move to ensure the safety of your belongings..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Individuals and companies engaging in for-profit local and intrastate moving within the Sunshine State must register each year with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Division of Consumer Services. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Florida moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Florida does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local San Jose movers?
|Silicon Valley Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
186 Barnard Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125
|All Reasons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
600 E Trimble Rd, San Jose, CA, 95131
|Lunardi Moving||Get A Quote||
1856 Almaden Road Unit 3, San Jose, CA, 95125
Visit our Best Movers in San Jose page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Florida?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Florida.
Museums in Florida
- Wynwood Halls
- The Ringling
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates
- The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum
- The Dali Museum
- NASA Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
- Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum
- Museum of the Everglades
- Revs Institute
- Navy Seal Museum
Parks in Florida
- Dry Tortugas National Park
- Everglades National Park
- De Soto National Memorial
- Fort Matanzas National Monument
- Ocala National Forest
- Ten Thousand Islands National Wildlife Refuge
- Homestead Trolley-Everglades National Park
- Maritime Hammock Sanctuary
- Canaveral National Seashore
- Key West Marine Park
Sports Teams in Florida
- Miami Heat (NBA)
- Orlando Magic (NBA)
- Miami Marlins (MLB)
- Tampa Bay Rays (MLB)
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)
- Miami Dolphins (NFL)
- Tamps Bay Buccaneers (NFL)
- Florida Panthers (NHL)
- Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
- Inter Miami CF (MLS)
- Orlando City SC (MLS)
Universities in Florida
- University of Florida
- Florida State University
- University of South Florida
- University of Central Florida
- Florida International University
- University of Miami
- Florida Atlantic University
- Nova Southeastern University
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- University of North Florida
- University of Florida
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Valencia College
- Stetson University
- Miami Dade College
- Florida Gulf Coast University
Where to move in Florida
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Sunshine State," these are the best cities in Florida to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Florida:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- California to Florida
- San Jose to Jacksonville
- San Jose to Pensacola
- San Jose to Miami
- San Jose to Tampa
- New York City to Florida
- Chicago to Florida
- Houston to Florida
- Phoenix to Florida
- Philadelphia to Florida
- San Antonio to Florida
- Dallas to Florida
- Austin to Florida
- Fort Worth to Florida
- Columbus to Florida