Moving from San Jose, CA to New York: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Jose, CA to New York averages from $2,030 to $9,545 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from New York to San Jose, CA guide.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to New York. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best San Jose, CA to New York movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Jose to New York.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Jose, CA to New York car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 2,938 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Jose, CA to New York?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,593 - $6,717||$1,692 - $4,222||$1,874 - $3,637|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,755 - $9,545||$3,000 - $6,282||$2,030 - $4,329|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,945 - $14,791||$4,144 - $8,583||$2,566 - $5,315|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,938 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Jose, CA to New York will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Pick from the Best San Jose to New York Movers
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from San Jose, CA to New York?
To ship furniture from San Jose to New York with a mover will cost between $1,593 to $6,717. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Man Jose to NY will range from $4,755 to $9,545, and a large move from San Jose to New York will cost from $8,945 to $14,791.
How much are moving containers like PODS from San Jose, CA to New York?
Moving pods from San Jose to New York will cost you $1,692 to $4,222 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $3,000 to $6,282. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $4,144 to $8,583.
How much is a moving truck from San Jose, CA to New York?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,874 to $3,637. A larger move will cost $2,030 to $4,329, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Jose to New York costs from $2,566 to $5,315.
How to ship a car from San Jose, CA to New York?
If you're planning a move from San Jose to New York and need to ship your car, it's important to find a reputable car shipping company. Look for top-rated companies that specialize in San Jose to New York car shipping and compare quotes and services to find the right option for you.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from San Jose, CA to New York a good idea?
If you’re moving to New York from San Jose, CA, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: San Jose, CA vs New York
|San Jose, CA||New York|
|Average rent cost||$2,500||$1,280|
|Average home cost||$1,444,420||$381,335|
|Average income (per capita)||$75,709||$71,117|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
New York sources: World Population Review, US Census Bureau, US BLS, Tax Foundation
- Rent is about 81% less expensive in New York than in San Jose.
- Home prices are about 140.2% lower in New York than in San Jose.
- The average income is about 5.8% lower in New York than in San Jose.
- New York has a lower unemployment rate than San Jose by about 29.3%.
- Income taxes are 18.05% lower in New York than in San Jose.
How is life different in San Jose, CA from New York?
|San Jose, CA||New York|
|Political leaning||Democratic 73-25||Democratic 61-38|
New York sources: US Census Bureau, 270TOWIN, BestPlaces
- The population of New York is approximately 1,858% greater than the population of San Jose.
- In the last presidential election, New York voted Democratic and San Jose voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in New York is 81ºF and in San Jose, it’s 82ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, New York reaches the temperature of 16ºF and San Jose gets down to 42ºF.
- You can expect about 44 inches of annual rainfall in New York vs 17 inches of rainfall in San Jose.
- In New York, it snows about 62 inches annually vs 0 inches of snow in San Jose.
- New York has a lower crime rate than San Jose with a crime index of 28.18 vs 16.99.
Considerations for moving to New York
- Weather: The climate of New York state is generally has warm to hot summers and cold winters. In the farther southeastern portion of the state (New York City and Long Island area) hot and humid summers and cool to mild winters. Winter temperatures average below freezing during January and February in much of New York state, but several degrees above freezing along the Atlantic coastline, including New York City..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local San Jose movers?
|Silicon Valley Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
186 Barnard Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125
|All Reasons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
600 E Trimble Rd, San Jose, CA, 95131
|Lunardi Moving||Get A Quote||
1856 Almaden Road Unit 3, San Jose, CA, 95125
Visit our Best Movers in San Jose page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in New York?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in New York.
Museums in New York
- The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- The Strong National Museum of Play
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- New York State Museum
- Erie Canal Museum
- Brooklyn Museum
- Buffalo & Erie County Naval and Military Park
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center
- Boldt Castle and Yacht House
- USS Slater DE-766
- National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- New York State Capitol
- New York Transit Museum
- Phelps Mansion Museum
- Corning Museum of Glass
- Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum
- Hudson River Maritime Museum
- Dia Beacon
Parks in New York
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Central Park
- Flushing Meadows Corona Park
- Gantry Plaza State Park
- Robert Moses State Park
- Prospect Park
- Mohonk Preserve
- Caumsett State Park
- Cunningham Park
- Seneca Lake State Park
- Congress Park
- Otsiningo Park
- Pierson Park
- The High Line
- Opus 40
- Women's Rights National Historical Park
Sports Teams in New York
- Brooklyn Nets Basketball (NBA)
- Buffalo Bills (NFL)
- Buffalo Sabres (NHL)
- New York City FC (MLS)
- New York Islanders (NHL)
- New York Knicks (NBA)
- New York Liberty (WNBA)
- New York Mets (MLB)
- New York Rangers (NHL)
- New York Yankees (MLB)
- Westchester Knicks (NBA G League)
- Long Island Nets (NBA G League)
Universities in New York
- Cornell University
- Columbia University in the City of New York
- New York University
- University of Rochester
- University at Buffalo, State University of New York
- Syracuse University
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Fordham University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Stony Brook University
- The New School
- University at Albany, State University of New York
- Binghamton University, State University of New York
- Bard College
- Pace University
Where to move in New York
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Empire State," these are the best cities in New York to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in New York:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- California to New York
- San Jose to New York City
- San Jose to Buffalo
- San Jose to Yonkers
- San Jose to Rochester
- Chicago to New York
- Houston to New York
- Phoenix to New York
- Philadelphia to New York
- San Antonio to New York
- Dallas to New York
- Austin to New York
- Jacksonville to New York
- Fort Worth to New York
- Columbus to New York