Quick Answer: The average cost to move from New York to Los Angeles, CA ranges from $1,200 to $7,048. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Los Angeles, CA. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Los Angeles, CA to New York guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best New York to Los Angeles, CA movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from New York to Los Angeles, CA.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York to Los Angeles, CA car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from New York to Los Angeles, CA?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,292 - $5,112||$1,469 - $2,401||$1,149 - $1,486|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,103 - $7,048||$2,492 - $3,797||$1,200 - $1,733|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,504 - $9,937||$3,453 - $4,894||$1,501 - $2,083|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,698 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York to Los Angeles, CA will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York to Los Angeles, CA Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from New York to Los Angeles, CA?
To ship furniture from New York to Los Angeles with a mover will cost between $1,292 to $5,112. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Los Angeles to CA will range from $3,103 to $7,048, and a large move from New York to Los Angeles will cost from $5,504 to $9,937.
How much are moving containers like PODS from New York to Los Angeles, CA?
Moving pods from New York to Los Angeles will cost you $1,469 to $2,401 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,492 to $3,797. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,453 to $4,894.
How much is a moving truck from New York to Los Angeles, CA?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,149 to $1,486. A larger move will cost $1,200 to $1,733, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York to Los Angeles costs from $1,501 to $2,083.
How to ship a car from New York to Los Angeles, CA
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable NY to Los Angeles, CA car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York to Los Angeles, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York vs Los Angeles, CA
|New York||Los Angeles|
|Average rent cost||$1,280||$2,306|
|Average home value||$381,335||$2,110,111|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,117||$68,632|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent is about 80% more expensive in Los Angeles than in New York.
- Home prices are about 453.3% higher in Los Angeles than in New York.
- The average income is about 3.5% lower in Los Angeles than in New York.
- Los Angeles has a higher unemployment rate than New York by about 107.5%.
- Income taxes are 22.02% higher in Los Angeles than in New York.
How is life different in Los Angeles from New York?
|Los Angeles||New York|
|Political leaning||Democratic 71-27||Democratic 61-38|
- The population of Los Angeles is approximately 51% lower than the population of New York.
- In the last presidential election, Los Angeles voted Democratic and New York voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Los Angeles is 84ºF and in New York, it’s 81ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Los Angeles reaches the temperature of 46ºF and New York gets down to 16ºF.
- You can expect about 16 inches of annual rainfall in Los Angeles vs 44 inches of rainfall in New York.
- In Los Angeles, it snows about 0 inches annually vs 62 inches of snow in New York.
- Los Angeles has a higher crime rate than New York with a crime index of 29.96 vs 16.99.
Considerations for moving to Los Angeles, CA
- Weather: The temperature in Los Angeles is known to be very comfortable. Los Angeles is subject to a phenomenon typical of a microclimate, causing variations in temperature. So be sure to check your weather report before your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to California. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local New York movers?
|Triangle Movers Inc.||Get A Quote||
240 Dupont Ave., Newburgh, NY, 12550
|Interior Moving Services Inc||Get A Quote||
157 La Grange Ave, Rochester, NY, 14613
|Mabey's Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
515 Third Avenue Extension, Rensselaer, NY, 12144
Visit our Best Movers in New York page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Need a local Los Angeles mover?
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
355 S Grand Ave Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA, 90071
|Move Central Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2466 E 16th St, Los Angeles, CA, 90021
|ABC Moving Systems||Get A Quote||
11301 W Olympic Blvd #727, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
Visit our Best Movers in Los Angeles page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Los Angeles?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Los Angeles.
Museums in Los Angeles
- The Getty Center
- Griffith Observatory
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Battleship USS Iowa Museum
- The Broad
- La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- The Nethercutt Collection
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- The Hollywood Museum
- Skirball Cultural Center
- Hollywood Bowl Museum
- Autry Museum of the American West
- Diorama-museum of Bhagavad-gita
Parks in Los Angeles
- Griffith Park
- Runyon Canyon Park
- Lake Hollywood Park
- Echo Park
- Venice Skatepark
- Exposition Park
- Lake Balboa Park
- Grand Park
- Point Fermin Park
- Lake Shrine Temple and Retreat
- Mildred Mathias Botanical Gardens
- Barnsdall Art Park
- MacArthur Park
- Elysian Park
- Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden
Sports Teams in Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB)
- Los Angeles FC (MLS)
- Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Rams (NFL)
- Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA)
Universities in Los Angeles
- California State University, Los Angeles
- California State University, Northridge
- University of California, Los Angeles
- American Film Institute Conservatory
- Alliant International University
- American Academy of Dramatic Arts (Los Angeles Campus)
- American Jewish University
- Abraham Lincoln University
- The American Musical and Dramatic Academy (Los Angeles Campus)
- Antioch University's Los Angeles Campus
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Colburn School
- Columbia College Hollywood
- Emerson College (Los Angeles Campus)
- Emperor's College
- Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising's (Los Angeles campus)
- Los Angeles Film School
- Loyola Marymount University
- Marymount College
- Mount St. Mary's College
- National University of California
- Occidental College
- Otis College of Art and Design
- Southern California Institute of Architecture
- Southwestern Law School
- University of Southern California
- Woodbury University
Where to move to in Los Angeles, CA?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "City of Angels," these are the best neighborhoods in Los Angeles to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Echo Park
- Los Feliz
- Playa Del Rey
- Silver Lake
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Eagle Rock
- Mar Vista
- Playa Vista
- Studio City
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Los Angeles
- Chicago to Los Angeles
- Houston to Los Angeles
- Phoenix to Los Angeles
- Philadelphia to Los Angeles
- San Antonio to Los Angeles
- Dallas to Los Angeles
- Austin to Los Angeles
- Jacksonville to Los Angeles
- Fort Worth to Los Angeles
Learn more about Los Angeles, CA
- What Is The Cost To Move In Los Angeles?
- What Is The Cost To Move To California?
- Best Moving Companies in California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!