Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to San Diego, CA averages from $1,142 to $6,843 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to San Diego, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from San Diego to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to San Diego movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to San Diego.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to San Diego car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,623 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to San Diego?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,255 - $4,964||$1,314 - $2,429||$1,093 - $1,509|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,013 - $6,843||$2,442 - $3,650||$1,142 - $1,763|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,344 - $9,648||$3,273 - $4,573||$1,444 - $2,121|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,623 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to San Diego will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to San Diego Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to San Diego?
To ship furniture from New York City to San Diego with a mover will cost between $1,255 to $4,964. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,013 to $6,843, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to San Diego will cost from $5,344 to $9,648.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to San Diego?
Moving containers from New York City to San Diego will cost you $1,314 to $2,429 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,442 to $3,650. A larger home will cost $3,273 to $4,573.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to San Diego?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,093 to $1,509. A larger move will cost $1,142 to $1,763, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to San Diego costs from $1,444 to $2,121.
How to ship a car from New York City to San Diego
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to San Diego car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York City, NY to San Diego, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs San Diego
|New York City||San Diego|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$2,374|
|Average home value||$746,354||$944,228|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$66,995|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$1,028|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$3,686|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in San Diego, CA are 30% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in San Diego, CA are 26.5% higher than in New York City, NY.
- Income in San Diego, CA is 6.9% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in San Diego, CA is 24.6% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in San Diego, CA is 26.4% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in San Diego, CA is 37.50% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in San Diego, CA are 3.13% lower than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in San Diego, CA are 22.02% higher than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,261.0 in San Diego to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to San Diego, CA?
|San Diego||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||10|
|Bike friendliness score||43||69|
- San Diego’s population is about 84% less than New York City.
- San Diego’s public transportation is not as good as New York City with a score of 6 vs 10.
- San Diego is less walkable than New York City with a score of 53 vs 88.
- San Diego is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 43 vs 69.
- San Diego's crime rate is lower than New York City with a score of 21.98 compared to 25.8.
- San Diego is considered to be safer than New York City with a safety index of 62.95 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in San Diego is Moderate, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to San Diego, CA
- Weather: San Diego's climate is characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, with most of the annual precipitation falling between December and March. The city has a mild climate year-round..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to San Diego. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in San Diego, CA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "America's Finest City", these are the best neighborhoods in San Diego to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Gaslamp Quarter
- North Park
- Ocean Beach
- Pacific Beach
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Carmel Valley
- Del Mar Heights
- Loma Portal
- Rancho Bernardo
- Rancho Penasquitos
What to do in San Diego
Moving to The “America's Finest City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- San Diego Zoo
- The Botanical Building and the Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden (Balboa Park)
- SeaWorld San Diego
- USS Midway Museum
- Gaslamp Quarter
- Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
- La Jolla Cove and Seal Rock
- Sunset Cliffs Natural Park
- Coronado Island
- North Park
- Hang-gliding and Paragliding Tours
- Seaport Village
- Belmont Park
- Pacific Beach
- Liberty Public Market
- Cabrillo National Monument
- Mexican Food
- Mission San Diego de Alcala
- Museum of US (Balboa Park)
- UCSD Stuart Art Collection
- San Diego Central Library
- Torrey Pines State Reserve
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Grant Hill Park
Get your sports on!San Diego is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- San Diego Padres (MLB)
- San Diego Gulls (AHL)
- San Diego Loyal SC (USL Championship)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to San Diego
- Chicago to San Diego
- Houston to San Diego
- Phoenix to San Diego
- Philadelphia to San Diego
- San Antonio to San Diego
- Dallas to San Diego
- Austin to San Diego
- Jacksonville to San Diego
- Fort Worth to San Diego
Learn more about San Diego
- What Is The Cost To Move In San Diego?
- What Is The Cost To Move To California?
- Best Moving Companies in San Diego, CA
- Best Moving Companies in California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!