Quick Answer: The cost to move from Yonkers, NY to California averages from $2,308 to $8,780 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from California to Yonkers, NY guide.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to California. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best Yonkers, NY to California movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Yonkers to California.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Yonkers, NY to California car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 2,919 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Yonkers, NY to California?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,465 - $6,178||$2,151 - $3,710||$2,130 - $2,803|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,373 - $8,780||$3,811 - $5,796||$2,308 - $3,337|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,228 - $13,604||$5,268 - $7,470||$2,917 - $4,100|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,919 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Yonkers, NY to California will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Pick from the Best Yonkers to California Movers
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Yonkers, NY to California?
To ship furniture from Yonkers to California with a mover will cost between $1,465 to $6,178. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from The Central City to CA will range from $4,373 to $8,780, and a large move from Yonkers to California will cost from $8,228 to $13,604.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Yonkers, NY to California?
Moving pods from Yonkers to California will cost you $2,151 to $3,710 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $3,811 to $5,796. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $5,268 to $7,470.
How much is a moving truck from Yonkers, NY to California?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $2,130 to $2,803. A larger move will cost $2,308 to $3,337, and a 4+ bedroom move from Yonkers to California costs from $2,917 to $4,100.
How to ship a car from Yonkers, NY to California
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Yonkers to California car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Yonkers, NY to California a good idea?
If you’re moving to California from Yonkers, NY, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: Yonkers, NY vs California
|Average rent cost||$1,825||$1,503|
|Average home cost||$651,558||$758,360|
|Average income (per capita)||$72,713||$78,672|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent is about 25% less expensive in California than in Yonkers.
- Home prices are about 28.0% higher in California than in Yonkers.
- The average income is about 8.4% higher in California than in Yonkers.
- California has a lower unemployment rate than Yonkers by about 34.0%.
- Income taxes are 22.02% higher in California than in Yonkers.
How is life different in Yonkers, NY from California?
|Political leaning||Democratic 68-31||Democratic 63-34|
- The population of California is approximately 18,446% greater than the population of Yonkers.
- In the last presidential election, California voted Democratic and Yonkers voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in California is 87ºF and in Yonkers, it’s 83ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, California reaches the temperature of 59ºF and Yonkers gets down to 21ºF.
- You can expect about 22 inches of annual rainfall in California vs 50 inches of rainfall in Yonkers.
- In California, it snows about 7 inches annually vs 28 inches of snow in Yonkers.
- California has a lower crime rate than Yonkers with a crime index of 46.0 vs 25.7.
Considerations for moving to California
- Weather: California has a great Mediterranean climate throughout most of the state. In the Southeast, you may experience colder winters and hotter summers. The northern part of California experiences more rain than the rest of the state. Before your move be sure to check for rain or very hot days..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Yonkers movers?
|Triangle Movers Inc.||Get A Quote||
240 Dupont Ave., Newburgh, NY, 12550
|Your Hometown Mover||Get A Quote||
92 S Ohioville Rd, New Paltz, NY, 12561
|Oz Moving & Storage, Inc.||Get A Quote||
51 East 125th Street, 2nd FLR, New York, NY, 10035
Visit our Best Movers in Yonkers page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in California?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in California.
Museums in California
- The Getty Center
- USS Midway Museum
- Hess Persson Estates
- California State Railroad Museum
- The Getty Villa
- Griffith Observatory
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Norton Simon Museum
- Mission San Luis Rey
- Tallac Historic Site
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Original McDonald's Site and Museum
- Oakland Museum of California
- March Field Air Museum
- Donner Memorial State Park and Emigrant Trail Museum
Parks in California
- La Jolla Cove
- Heisler Park
- Sonoma Plaza
- Mount Rubidoux Park
- Redwood Regional Park
- MacKerricher State Park
- Tilden Regional Park
- Dinosaur Caves Park
- Greystone Mansion and Park
- Rancho San Antonio County Park
- Serra Cross Park
- Coyote Hills Regional Park
- Folsom Lake State Recreation Area
- Palisades Park
- Irvine Regional Park
Sports Teams in California
- Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
- Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Los Angeles Angels (MLB)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB)
- Oakland Athletics (MLB)
- San Diego Padres (MLB)
- San Francisco Giants (MLB)
- Los Angeles Chargers (NFL)
- Los Angeles Rams (NFL)
- San Francisco 49ers (NFL)
- Golden State Warriors (NBA)
- Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
- Sacramento Kings (NBA)
- LA Galaxy (MLS)
- Los Angeles FC (MLS)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
Universities in California
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
- University of California, San Diego
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Irvine
- California Institute of Technology
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of California, Riverside
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of California, San Francisco
- San Diego State University
- California State University, Northridge
Where to move in California
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Golden State," these are the best cities in California to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in California:
- Chula Vista
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles
- Moreno Valley
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
- Santa Clarita
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York to California
- Yonkers to Los Angeles
- Yonkers to San Diego
- Yonkers to San Jose
- Yonkers to San Francisco
- Chicago to California
- Houston to California
- Phoenix to California
- Philadelphia to California
- San Antonio to California
- Dallas to California
- Austin to California
- Jacksonville to California
- Fort Worth to California
- Columbus to California
Learn more about California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!