Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Florida averages from $1,107 to $8,050 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Florida. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best New York City, NY to Florida movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Florida.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City, NY to Florida car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 1,301 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City, NY to Florida?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,477 - $5,840||$1,214 - $2,273||$1,056 - $1,459|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,545 - $8,050||$2,286 - $3,410||$1,107 - $1,706|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,288 - $11,350||$3,054 - $4,265||$1,386 - $2,036|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,301 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City, NY to Florida will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City, NY to Florida Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Safeway Moving Systems
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Air Van northAmerican Van Lines
Best for complex moves
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How to ship a car from New York City, NY to Florida
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to Florida car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||best for quick pick up||
Is moving from New York City, NY to Florida a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City, NY vs Florida
|New York City, NY||Florida||% difference|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$1,175||-65%|
|Average home cost||$746,354||$356,349||-52.3%|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$57,703||-19.8%|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||0.0%||-100.00%|
How is life different in New York City, NY from Florida?
|New York City, NY||Florida|
|Political leaning||Democratic 76-23||Republican 51-48|
Considerations for moving to Florida
- Weather: Severe weather is a common occurrence in Florida, as Florida is the most hurricane-prone state in the US. June 1st and November 30 is the time when most hurricanes in Florida occur, the most severe dates lie between August - October. Be sure to check your local weather station before your move as Florida is known for its thunderstorms and high levels of precipitation. Perhaps plan for a Winter or Springtime move to ensure the safety of your belongings..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Individuals and companies engaging in for-profit local and intrastate moving within the Sunshine State must register each year with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Division of Consumer Services Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- Moving Permits: Florida does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Except as provided in paragraph (b), each mover operating in this state must maintain current and valid liability insurance coverage of at least $10,000 per shipment for the loss or damage of household goods resulting from the negligence of the mover or its employees or agents.
Where to move in Florida
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Sunshine State," these are the best cities in Florida to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Florida:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!