Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 756 miles from Illinois to Virginia ranges from $803 to $1,173 and takes 2-7 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Virginia to Illinois car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from Illinois to Virginia
Because the distance between Illinois to Virginia is about 756 miles, it’ll take from 2 to 7 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Chicago, IL to Virginia
- Chicago to Virginia Beach: $828 to $1,261
- Chicago to Chesapeake: $828 to $1,261
- Chicago to Arlington: $772 to $1,106
- Chicago to Norfolk: $828 to $1,261
- Chicago to Richmond: $810 to $1,193
Cost to ship a car from Rockford, IL to Virginia
- Rockford to Virginia Beach: $827 to $1,308
- Rockford to Chesapeake: $827 to $1,308
- Rockford to Arlington: $810 to $1,193
- Rockford to Norfolk: $827 to $1,308
- Rockford to Richmond: $828 to $1,261
Cost to ship a car from Springfield, IL to Virginia
- Springfield to Virginia Beach: $830 to $1,287
- Springfield to Chesapeake: $830 to $1,287
- Springfield to Arlington: $810 to $1,193
- Springfield to Norfolk: $830 to $1,287
- Springfield to Richmond: $822 to $1,229
Cost to ship a car from Peoria, IL to Virginia
- Peoria to Virginia Beach: $830 to $1,287
- Peoria to Chesapeake: $830 to $1,287
- Peoria to Arlington: $810 to $1,193
- Peoria to Norfolk: $830 to $1,287
- Peoria to Richmond: $822 to $1,229
Cost to ship a car from Round Lake Beach, IL to Virginia
- Round Lake Beach to Virginia Beach: $829 to $1,298
- Round Lake Beach to Chesapeake: $830 to $1,287
- Round Lake Beach to Arlington: $803 to $1,173
- Round Lake Beach to Norfolk: $830 to $1,287
- Round Lake Beach to Richmond: $826 to $1,246
Shipping an SUV or Truck from Illinois to Virginia
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from Illinois to Virginia you should expect to pay between $1,004 and $1,466.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from Illinois to Virginia
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from Illinois to Virginia tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to Virginia will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from Illinois to Virginia should take between 2 and 7 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in Illinois and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in Virginia. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from Illinois to Virginia
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from Illinois to Virginia:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from Illinois to Virginia. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best Illinois to Virginia movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between Illinois and Virginia.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- Illinois to Virginia movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from Illinois to Virginia.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and Illinois car shippers you should use.
The best Illinois to Virginia car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from Illinois to Virginia works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from Illinois to Virginia.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in Illinois where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in Virginia on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from Illinois to Virginia?
- Car Insurance requirements: In Virginia, all drivers must have liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $25,000 for one person's injury or death, $50,000 for multiple person's injury or death and $20,000 for property damage. Uninsured motorist coverage is also required with the same limits.
- Vehicle Inspection: All vehicles must pass annual safety and emissions inspections at DMV-approved stations. Vehicles that fail can be re-inspected for free within 60 days. Upon passing, a sticker is issued to indicate the vehicle's compliance.
- Driver’s License: To obtain a driver's license, individuals must pass written, vision, and driving tests. To be eligible, individuals must be at least 16 years old and have held a learner's permit for at least 9 months. Specialized license types such as motorcycle, commercial, and provisional for under 18 are also available. Drivers with a valid out-of-state license can convert it without taking the test. Driver's licenses are issued by the DMV and are valid for 8 years, and can be renewed online or in person.
- Additional Taxes: When moving to Virginia, you will need to register your vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. As part of the registration process, you will be required to pay various taxes and fees, including a personal property tax on your vehicle. The amount of tax you will need to pay will depend on the value of your vehicle and the county or city in which you reside. Additionally, you may also need to pay a one-time vehicle titling fee, depending on the age of your vehicle. You should check with the Virginia DMV for specific details and requirements.
Alternative ways to ship your car from Illinois to Virginia
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 756 miles on your car going from Illinois to Virginia. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from Illinois to Virginia for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from Illinois to Virginia FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in Illinois and when dropping off my car in Virginia?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in Illinois and when dropping it off in Virginia.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from Illinois to Virginia?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from Illinois to Virginia, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to Virginia, which you should verify before loading your car in Illinois.
How long does it take to ship a car from Illinois to Virginia?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from Illinois to Virginia being about 756 miles, that’s as fast as about 2 days. But most car transporting companies will take 2-7 days to go from Illinois to Virginia.