Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 205 miles from Maryland to New York ranges from $512 to $652 and takes 1-4 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our New York to Maryland car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from Maryland to New York
Because the distance between Maryland to New York is about 205 miles, it’ll take from 1 to 4 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Washington DC, MD to New York
- Washington DC to New York City: $518 to $676
- Washington DC to Buffalo: $663 to $908
- Washington DC to Yonkers: $516 to $693
- Washington DC to Rochester: $663 to $908
- Washington DC to Albany: $639 to $873
Cost to ship a car from Baltimore, MD to New York
- Baltimore to New York City: $495 to $644
- Baltimore to Buffalo: $639 to $873
- Baltimore to Yonkers: $512 to $652
- Baltimore to Rochester: $611 to $835
- Baltimore to Albany: $611 to $835
Cost to ship a car from Hagerstown, MD to New York
- Hagerstown to New York City: $516 to $693
- Hagerstown to Buffalo: $581 to $793
- Hagerstown to Yonkers: $512 to $698
- Hagerstown to Rochester: $611 to $835
- Hagerstown to Albany: $639 to $873
Cost to ship a car from Frederick, MD to New York
- Frederick to New York City: $518 to $685
- Frederick to Buffalo: $611 to $835
- Frederick to Yonkers: $512 to $698
- Frederick to Rochester: $611 to $835
- Frederick to Albany: $639 to $873
Cost to ship a car from Aberdeen, MD to New York
- Aberdeen to New York City: $419 to $587
- Aberdeen to Buffalo: $639 to $873
- Aberdeen to Yonkers: $459 to $620
- Aberdeen to Rochester: $611 to $835
- Aberdeen to Albany: $548 to $748
Shipping an SUV or Truck from Maryland to New York
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from Maryland to New York you should expect to pay between $640 and $815.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from Maryland to New York
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from Maryland to New York tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to New York will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from Maryland to New York should take between 1 and 4 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in Maryland and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in New York. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from Maryland to New York
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from Maryland to New York:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from Maryland to New York. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best Maryland to New York movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between Maryland and New York.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- Maryland to New York movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from Maryland to New York.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and Maryland car shippers you should use.
The best Maryland to New York car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from Maryland to New York works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from Maryland to New York.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in Maryland where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in New York on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from Maryland to New York?
- Car Insurance requirements: To register a car in NY, you must have NY State issued auto liability insurance. If you don't, your car registration and NY driver's license may be suspended. Minimum coverage required: $10,000 property damage, $25,000/$50,000 bodily injury/death for one person, $50,000/$100,000 for two or more people in an accident.
- Vehicle Inspection: If your vehicle was registered in another state that issues an inspection sticker, you have one year from the registration date or until the sticker expires to get a New York State vehicle inspection. If the previous inspection was performed in a jurisdiction that does not issue an inspection sticker, you must get a New York State inspection immediately.
- Driver’s License: New York residents must obtain a state driver license within 30 days of moving to the state.
- Additional Taxes: If you bought a vehicle from a NY State dealership or an out-of-state dealership authorized to collect NY State sales tax, bring the dealer's bill of sale that shows NY State sales tax was paid. Also bring the MV-50 form (for NY State dealers only) or the DTF-803 form (for out-of-state dealers). If NY State sales tax was paid to a NY State dealer, the DMV will not collect sales tax or issue a receipt when you apply for vehicle registration.
Alternative ways to ship your car from Maryland to New York
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 205 miles on your car going from Maryland to New York. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from Maryland to New York for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from Maryland to New York FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in Maryland and when dropping off my car in New York?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in Maryland and when dropping it off in New York.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from Maryland to New York?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from Maryland to New York, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to New York, which you should verify before loading your car in Maryland.
How long does it take to ship a car from Maryland to New York?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from Maryland to New York being about 205 miles, that’s as fast as about 1 day. But most car transporting companies will take 1-4 days to go from Maryland to New York.