The cost to move from California to Michigan averages from $1,505 to $7,806 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Michigan to California guide.
Moving from California to Michigan resources
- Best California to Michigan movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from California to Michigan.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving cost calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving expenses.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- California to Michigan car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 2,405 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
The best California to Michigan movers
Hiring an interstate moving company from California to Michigan is a big deal.
There are more than 8,000 moving companies in the U.S. But don’t worry, you won’t have to filter through all of them. We’ve done the research for you and narrowed the list based on customer satisfaction, cost, and services. Here are the best long-distance moving companies serving California to Michigan.
- Safeway Moving: Best overall value
- International Van Lines: Best customer service
- American Van Lines: Best industry reputation
- Air Van northAmerican Van Lines: Best for complex moves
- JK Moving Services: Best for high-end moves
Get A Quote(855) 650-0657
% of users select this mover
Get A Quote(855) 929-4120
% of users select this mover
Get A Quote(866) 835-2392
% of users select this mover
Get A Quote(844) 950-2963
% of users select this mover
Get A Quote(703) 972-1772
% of users select this mover
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to move from California to Michigan?
The table below lays out average cost ranges when moving from California to Michigan for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Move size||Moving company||Moving container||Rental truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,320 - $5,411||$1,321 - $3,284||$1,390 - $2,690|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,739 - $7,806||$2,349 - $4,874||$1,505 - $3,202|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,027 - $12,077||$3,230 - $6,616||$1,902 - $3,926|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,405 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
There are many factors that influence California moving costs. The cost to move from California to Michigan will depend on these factors:
- Move size: Moving a large home costs more than moving a studio apartment.
- Time of year: The peak moving season in California is in the summer, so moving companies will likely charge more.
- DIY vs. professional mover: DIY moving services are cheaper but you do all the heavy lifting compared to letting the pros handle your move.
How much does it cost to hire movers from California to Michigan?
Hiring movers for a studio apartment or one-bedroom home from California to Michigan will cost between $1,320 to $5,411. The cost to move a two- to three-bedroom home from CA to MI will range from $3,739 to $7,806, and a large move from California to Michigan will cost from $7,027 to $12,077.
How much are moving containers like PODS from California to Michigan?
Moving containers from California to Michigan will cost you $1,321 to $3,284 for a small move. For a two- to three-bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,349 to $4,874. A four-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,230 to $6,616. Learn more about PODS cost.
Here are the cheapest moving container companies when moving out of California.
How much is a moving truck from California to Michigan?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,390 to $2,690. A larger move will cost $1,505 to $3,202, and a 4+ bedroom move from California to Michigan costs from $1,902 to $3,926.
Is moving from California to Michigan a good idea?
If you’re moving to Michigan from California, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: California vs Michigan
|Average rent cost||$1,503||$871|
|Average home cost||$758,360||$225,774|
|Average income (per capita)||$78,672||$59,234|
|Cost of Living Index||100||89|
|Average Sales Tax||8.68%||6.0%|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||4.25%|
- Rent is about 42% less expensive in Michigan than in California.
- Home prices are about 70.2% lower in Michigan than in California.
- The average income is about 24.7% lower in Michigan than in California.
- Cost of living is 11.0% lower in Michigan than in California.
- Michigan has a lower unemployment rate than California by about 15.5%.
- Sales taxes are 30.88% lower in Michigan than in California.
- Income taxes are 68.05% lower in Michigan than in California.
How is life different in Michigan from California?
|Political leaning||Democratic 59-48||Democratic 63-34|
- The population of Michigan is approximately 74% lower than the population of California.
- In the last presidential election, Michigan voted Democratic and California voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Michigan is 81ºF and in California, it’s 87ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Michigan reaches the temperature of 14ºF and California gets down to 59ºF.
- You can expect about 34 inches of annual rainfall in Michigan vs 22 inches of rainfall in California.
- In Michigan, it snows about 64 inches annually vs 7 inches of snow in California.
- Michigan has a lower crime rate than California with a crime index of 25.7 vs 18.19.
Comparing the pros of California vs. Michigan:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in California vs Michigan side-by-side.
|Pros of living in California||Pros of living in Michigan|
|Ample economic opportunity||Scenic beauty|
|Pleasant weather||Good higher education|
|Abundant recreational options||Bountiful recreational opportunities|
|High quality of life||Low cost of living|
|Fresh and healthy foods||Beautiful lakes|
Comparing the cons of living in California vs. Michigan:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving California for Michigan.
|Cons of living in California||Cons of living in Michigan|
|High cost of living||Cold snowy winters|
|Heavy tax burdens||Spotty economic opportunity|
|Natural disasters||Poor transportation infrastructure|
|Terrible traffic||Expensive education|
|Strange laws||Thick accents|
Considerations for moving to Michigan
- Weather: Michigan has a continental climate, although there are two distinct regions. The southern and central parts of the Lower Peninsula (south of Saginaw Bay and from the Grand Rapids area southward) have a warmer climate with hot summers and cold winters. The northern part of the Lower Peninsula and the entire Upper Peninsula has a more severe climate (Köppen Dfb), with warm, but shorter summers and longer, cold to very cold winters. Some parts of the state average high temperatures below freezing from December through February, and into early March in the far northern parts. During the winter through the middle of February, the state is frequently subjected to heavy lake-effect snow. The state averages 30 days of thunderstorm activity per year. These can be severe, especially in the southern part of the state. The state averages 17 tornadoes per year, which are more common in the state's extreme southern section.
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: The agency regulating local and intrastate household goods movers in Michigan is the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). State regulation and oversight activities include commercial vehicle registration and safety compliance, review of published tariff rates, licensing, and consumer protection efforts. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Michigan moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Michigan does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Michigan. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local California movers?
most popularSmooth Move USA
|Get A Quote||
3101 Gilmore Avenue, Bakersfield, CA, 93308
|All Star Movers & Storage||Get A Quote||
101 Dublin Blvd Suite F #517, Dublin, CA, 94568
|Grace Moving Company||Get A Quote||
800 Janopaul Lane, Modesto, CA, 95351
Visit our Best Movers in California page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Things to do in Michigan
While you’re in Michigan, you won’t be bored. These are some of the coolest places to visit in your new home state.
- Mackinac Island
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
- Henry Ford Museum
- Michigan State Capitol
- University of Michigan
- Isle Royale National Park
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Colonial Michilimackinac
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Windmill Island Gardens
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Detroit Zoo
- Michigan History Center
- Mackinac Bridge
- Soo Locks Boat Tour
- Belle Isle
- Motown Historical Museum
- Michigan’s Adventure
- Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
FAQs about moving from California to Michigan
What is the cheapest way to move from California to Michigan?
The cheapest way to move from California to Michigan is with a DIY move. Here’s our guide for the cheapest way to move out of state.
What are the benefits of moving from California to Michigan?
The main reasons people are moving from California to Michigan are the amazing upsides of living in Michigan such as scenic beauty and good higher education.