Quick Answer: The average cost to move from New Jersey to Florida ranges from $923 to $7,250. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Florida. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best New Jersey to Florida movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from New Jersey to Florida.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New Jersey to Florida car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from New Jersey to Florida?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,425 - $5,800||$1,168 - $2,330||$877 - $1,212|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,020 - $7,250||$2,193 - $3,494||$923 - $1,424|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,950 - $9,500||$2,928 - $4,369||$1,168 - $1,705|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,107 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New Jersey to Florida will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New Jersey to Florida Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Safeway Moving Systems
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Air Van northAmerican Van Lines
Best for complex moves
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How to ship a car from New Jersey to Florida
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car safely arrives in Florida.
Here's our list of the best New Jersey to Florida car shipping companies.
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||best for quick pick up||
Is moving from New Jersey to Florida a good idea?
Cost of Living: New Jersey vs Florida
|New Jersey||Florida||% difference|
|Average rent cost||$1,334||$1,175||-12%|
|Average home cost||$440,081||$356,349||-19.0%|
|Average income (per capita)||$85,245||$57,703||-32.3%|
|Cost of Living Index||125||98||-27.0%|
|Average Sales Tax||6.6%||7.08%||+7.27%|
|State Income Tax||10.75%||0.0%||-100.00%|
How is life different in Florida from New Jersey?
|Political leaning||Republican 51-48||Democratic 57-41|
Considerations for moving to Florida
- Weather: Severe weather is a common occurrence in Florida, as Florida is the most hurricane-prone state in the US. June 1st and November 30 is the time when most hurricanes in Florida occur, the most severe dates lie between August - October. Be sure to check your local weather station before your move as Florida is known for its thunderstorms and high levels of precipitation. Perhaps plan for a Winter or Springtime move to ensure the safety of your belongings.
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: Individuals and companies engaging in for-profit local and intrastate moving within the Sunshine State must register each year with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Division of Consumer Services Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- Moving Permits: Florida does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Florida. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Except as provided in paragraph (b), each mover operating in this state must maintain current and valid liability insurance coverage of at least $10,000 per shipment for the loss or damage of household goods resulting from the negligence of the mover or its employees or agents.
Where to live in Florida
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Sunshine State," these are the best cities in Florida to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Florida:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!