Moving from Texas to Raleigh, NC: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from Texas to Raleigh, NC ranges from $966 to $6,707. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Raleigh, NC. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Raleigh, NC to Texas guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best Texas to Raleigh, NC movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from Texas to Raleigh, NC.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Texas to Raleigh, NC car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from Texas to Raleigh, NC?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,247 - $4,957||$1,001 - $2,458||$893 - $1,709|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,924 - $6,707||$1,789 - $3,618||$966 - $2,032|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,117 - $9,333||$2,432 - $4,820||$1,216 - $2,482|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,409 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Texas to Raleigh, NC will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Texas to Raleigh, NC Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Texas to Raleigh, NC?
To ship furniture from Texas to Raleigh with a mover will cost between $1,247 to $4,957. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Raleigh to NC will range from $2,924 to $6,707, and a large move from Texas to Raleigh will cost from $5,117 to $9,333.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Texas to Raleigh, NC?
Moving pods from Texas to Raleigh will cost you $1,001 to $2,458 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,789 to $3,618. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,432 to $4,820.
How much is a moving truck from Texas to Raleigh, NC?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $893 to $1,709. A larger move will cost $966 to $2,032, and a 4+ bedroom move from Texas to Raleigh costs from $1,216 to $2,482.
How to ship a car from Texas to Raleigh, NC
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable TX to Raleigh, NC car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Texas to Raleigh, NC a good idea?
Cost of Living: Texas vs Raleigh, NC
|Average rent cost||$1,045||$1,156|
|Average home value||$276,048||$412,599|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,874||$59,492|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||5.25%|
Raleigh sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 11% more expensive in Raleigh than in Texas.
- Home prices are about 49.5% higher in Raleigh than in Texas.
- The average income is about 3.8% lower in Raleigh than in Texas.
- Raleigh has a lower unemployment rate than Texas by about 14.0%.
- Income taxes are 5.25% higher in Raleigh than in Texas.
How is life different in Raleigh from Texas?
|Political leaning||Democrat 62-36||Republican 52-46|
Raleigh sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Raleigh is approximately 98% lower than the population of Texas.
- In the last presidential election, Raleigh voted Democrat and Texas voted Republican.
- The average high in the summertime in Raleigh is 90ºF and in Texas, it’s 94ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Raleigh reaches the temperature of 30ºF and Texas gets down to 36ºF.
- You can expect about 46 inches of annual rainfall in Raleigh vs 36 inches of rainfall in Texas.
- In Raleigh, it snows about 4 inches annually vs 2 inches of snow in Texas.
- Raleigh has a lower crime rate than Texas with a crime index of 27.11 vs 25.49.
Considerations for moving to Raleigh, NC
- Weather: The climate in Raleigh is unlikely to affect your move. However, some days in the winter, the roads may become icy which causes traffic issues. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: For-profit household goods carriers in the state fall under the jurisdiction of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division. All legitimate movers should have a “C Number” issued by the commission, signifying that they’ve met minimum insurance requirements and adhere to the provisions outlined in the state’s Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a North Carolina moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: North Carolina does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to North Carolina. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Texas movers?
|Square Cow||Get A Quote||
2500 Brushy Creek Loop, Cedar Park, TX, 78613
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
302 Casa Blanca St, San Antonio, TX, 78215
|Olde World Movers||Get A Quote||
909 Heather Dr, Euless, TX, 76040
Visit our Best Movers in Texas page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Comparing the pros of Texas vs. Raleigh, NC:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in Texas vs Raleigh side-by-side.
|Pros of living in Texas||Pros of living in Raleigh, NC|
|Ample economic opportunity||Exceptional beauty|
|Favorable climate||Ample economic opportunity|
|Delicious barbecue||Quality education|
|Low taxes||Bountiful arts and recreational activities|
|Privacy and freedom||Quality healthcare|
Comparing the cons of living in Texas vs. Raleigh, NC:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving Texas for Raleigh.
|Cons of living in Texas||Cons of living in Raleigh, NC|
|Severe weather||High cost of living|
|Limited healthcare access||Quiet nightlife|
|High crime rate||Temperamental weather|
|Traffic issues||Allergy-inducing pollen|
Need a local Raleigh mover?
|Get A Quote||
2717 Western Boulevard, Raleigh, NC, 27606
|All My Sons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
7417 ACC Blvd, Raleigh, NC, 27617
|Crabtree Family Moving||Get A Quote||
3216 Spottswood St Unit #115, Raleigh, NC, 27615
Visit our Best Movers in Raleigh page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Raleigh?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Raleigh.
Museums in Raleigh
- African American Cultural Complex
- Contemporary Art Museum of Raleigh
- Gregg Museum of Art & Design at North Carolina State University
- Haywood Hall House & Gardens
- Marbles Kids Museum
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- North Carolina Museum of History
- North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame
- City of Raleigh Museum
- J. C. Raulston Arboretum
- Joel Lane House
- Mordecai Plantation
- Pope House Museum
Parks in Raleigh
- Pullen Park
- William B. Umstead State Park
- Yates Mill County Park
- JC Raulston Arboretum
- Neuse River Trail
- Lake Johnson Park
- Mordecai Historic Park
- Anderson Point Park
Sports Teams in Raleigh
- Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
- North Carolina FC (USL)
- North Carolina Courage (NWSL)
- Carolina Mudcats (MiLB)
Universities in Raleigh
- North Carolina State University
- Wake Technical Community College
- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
- Montreat College's School of Professional and Adult Studies
- William Peace University
- Shaw University
- Skema Business School
- St. Augustine's University
Where to move to in Raleigh, NC?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The City of Oaks," these are the best neighborhoods in Raleigh to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Central Raleigh
- Five Points
- North Raleigh
- Northwest Raleigh
- West Raleigh
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Cameron Village
- Boylan Heights
- Hayes Barton
- North Hills
- South Park
- Brier Creek
- Six Forks
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Raleigh
- New York City to Raleigh
- Chicago to Raleigh
- Houston to Raleigh
- Phoenix to Raleigh
- Philadelphia to Raleigh
- San Antonio to Raleigh
- San Diego to Raleigh
- Dallas to Raleigh
- San Jose to Raleigh
Learn more about Raleigh, NC
- What Is The Cost To Move In Raleigh?
- What Is The Cost To Move To North Carolina?
- Tips on Moving to Raleigh, NC: Relocation Guide
- Top 10 Cities for Young Families 2017
- Best Moving Companies in North Carolina
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!