| || |
How does Giant Moving Company compare to other Philadelphia movers?
|Company||Price||Vendor Type||Quoting options||Storage||Minimum Move Size||Interstate|
|Gentle Giant||$$||Carrier||Phone/virtual estimate||Yes||1 bedroom||Yes|
|L & J Transportation||$$||Carrier||Phone/virtual estimate||Yes||1 bedroom||Yes|
|Moverama||$$||Carrier||Phone/virtual estimate||Yes||1 bedroom||Yes|
|Broadstreet Movers||$$$||Carrier||Phone/virtual estimate/In-person||Yes||1 bedroom||Yes|
|Bellhop||$||Carrier||Phone/virtual estimate||Yes||1 bedroom||Yes|
Jump to the Giant Moving Company review section that you’re looking for:
- About Giant Moving Company
- Services Offered
- Reputation and Online Presence
- Licensing and Registrations
- Should You Consider Giant Moving Company
About Gentle Giant Moving Company
Larry O’Toole founded the DBA Gentle Giant Moving Company Inc. (Legal Name: Gentle Giant Interstate Company LLC) and began operations in 1980. They recently moved the company headquarters from Somerville, Massachusetts, to Winchester, Massachusetts. The company remains privately owned and now has 10 locations in cities beyond the Boston area, including Charlotte, Fort Lauderdale, South San Francisco, Providence, and Washington D.C.
The majority of their locations maintain active community involvement through the Gentle Giant Charitable Foundation and support the American Cancer Society, the Junior League of San Francisco, Read to a Child, and others. Gentle Giant Moving Company’s marketing department deserves praise, as they have developed an excellent brand and a superb overall profile.
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2022
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2022 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
Gentle Giant offers a broad range of services
- The FMCSA’s information system shows they have a fleet of roughly 141 power units (vehicles)
- Local moving: The company will handle local moves of any size in the regions where they have a location—even at the last minute.
- Long-distance moving: Gentle Giant movers handle interstate moves, cross-country moves, and other long-distance moves in the U.S.
- International moving services: Customers with future moves to other countries should know they have the moving experience to make the process seamless. They are compliant with the Registered International Mover Program (RIM) and have experience in customs clearance and international logistics.
- Commercial moving: The staff helps small businesses move out to a site or larger corporate relocations. Company reviews indicate they will handle weekend or after-hours projects if necessary. Other options include furniture disassembly, storage, and assistance with donating unneeded assets.
- Packing and unpacking: Experienced professional packers will take great care to prepare all items for shipping safely. Optional packing services are an add-on service offered in their full-service packages. In addition, the company has a Pack Like The Pros™ video series tutorial available online.
- Storage services: Self-storage and climate-controlled storage units are readily available. They can first move items to temporary storage units until they are ready and prepared for the second move. Then, they promptly inventory and label all stored items, which is then accessible as an electronic inventory.
- Specialty moving services: As a full-service mover, the organization offers a variety of specialized services
- Craning service: They will deploy a crane to move difficult items. For example, a customer moving into a third-floor walk-up unit cannot accommodate a massive armoire or heavy sleeper sofa.
- Piano moving: The crew members have many years of experience safely moving pianos, including grand or upright models, and offer climate-controlled piano storage. In the Boston area, they have a partnership with Allston Piano Moving for performing these projects.
- Custom crating: Large or fragile items such as artwork may require a customized crate for transport to the new home.
- Assembly/disassembly: Their moving crews will disassemble items such as pool tables or custom cabinetry systems for transport and then reassemble them upon arrival at the new house.
- Moving supplies: Top Box is the Gentle Giant Moving Company’s online retail shop. Orders include free delivery.
How much does Gentle Giant charge?
The estimates for local moves include a calculation based on an hourly rate that includes driving time. The estimates for long-distance moving projects use a flat, fixed-rate price. This price is binding once they set an inventory of all items and the timeframe. Customized crating services represent an additional cost.
The price ranges for moving supplies available through their Top Box online ordering application are pictured below.
The storage pricing in Massachusetts begins at $90 per vault with discounts for multiple vaults, which becomes $40 per vault beyond a quantity of 10.
For the most accurate ball-park pricing for your move, get a free quote from our Moving Cost Calculator.
Gentle Giant Moving Company has an excellent online reputation
The company has an overall Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A+. They have been BBB accredited since 1990 and have had 2 closed complaints over the past 3 years.
The following is a summary of the categories (nature) of the BBB complaints received.
|BBB Complaint Types||Number|
|Sales or Advertising||0|
|Collections or Billing||0|
|Warranty or Guarantee||0|
|Product or Service Problems||1|
On Google, the company has roughly 373 reviews with an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5.
On Yelp, each of their office locations has an independent page. Some of the locations ratings include:
- Brooklyn, NY: 4.5 of 5
- Philadelphia, PA: 5 of 5
- Seattle, WA: 4.5 of 5
In the majority of cases, a company representative responds to address any complaints or unfavorable posts.
They also maintain an active Facebook page.
Is Gentle Giant licensed and insured?
Gentle Giant Moving Company offers three types of moving insurance (valuation).
- Actual cash value: They will either repair the damaged item or give the customer compensation for the actual cash value.
- Full (replacement) value: A damaged item is either repaired, replaced with a comparable item, or compensated for the replacement value
- Released value: According to law, they provide coverage of sixty-cents (.60) per pound per item up to a maximum of $2,000All claims for damage must be filed within 15 business days
They are also BBB accredited and registered with all three of the major government agencies regulating the moving industry.
|Licensing Insurance FMCSA?||Yes|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||Yes|
In 2020, the company had 253 drivers that traveled over 5,000,000 miles. They are authorized for hire for interstate operations to transport household goods. The company maintains $1,000,000 in bodily injury and property damage (BIPD) insurance coverage and coverage for cargo.
Should You Consider Gentle Giant for a Move?
Gentle Giant Moving Company has an impeccable online reputation with only 2 complaints to the BBB over the past 3 years, which is excellent for a company with more than 100 trucks and 200 drivers.
They provide a full scope of services, including local, interstate, and international moving services. Other options include packing/unpacking, storage, crane moving, piano moving, and maintain an easy means of ordering moving supplies that include free delivery.
The organization continues expanding throughout most major U.S. markets and represents a great option for those preparing for a move.
For more help choosing the right moving company and a free moving quote, check out our moving cost calculator.
Or, browse some other top Philadelphia movers.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!