Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 1306 miles from California to Montana ranges from $1,027 to $1,552 and takes 3-8 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Montana to California car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from California to Montana
Because the distance between California to Montana is about 1306 miles, it’ll take from 3 to 8 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Los Angeles, CA to Montana
- Los Angeles to Billings: $968 to $1,482
- Los Angeles to Missoula: $968 to $1,482
- Los Angeles to Belgrade: $823 to $1,317
- Los Angeles to Bozeman: $823 to $1,317
- Los Angeles to Butte: $896 to $1,404
Cost to ship a car from San Diego, CA to Montana
- San Diego to Billings: $1,027 to $1,552
- San Diego to Missoula: $968 to $1,482
- San Diego to Belgrade: $896 to $1,404
- San Diego to Bozeman: $896 to $1,404
- San Diego to Butte: $896 to $1,404
Cost to ship a car from San Jose, CA to Montana
- San Jose to Billings: $896 to $1,404
- San Jose to Missoula: $823 to $1,317
- San Jose to Belgrade: $823 to $1,317
- San Jose to Bozeman: $823 to $1,317
- San Jose to Butte: $823 to $1,317
Cost to ship a car from San Francisco, CA to Montana
- San Francisco to Billings: $896 to $1,404
- San Francisco to Missoula: $827 to $1,308
- San Francisco to Belgrade: $823 to $1,317
- San Francisco to Bozeman: $823 to $1,317
- San Francisco to Butte: $823 to $1,317
Cost to ship a car from Fresno, CA to Montana
- Fresno to Billings: $968 to $1,482
- Fresno to Missoula: $823 to $1,317
- Fresno to Belgrade: $896 to $1,404
- Fresno to Bozeman: $896 to $1,404
- Fresno to Butte: $896 to $1,404
Shipping an SUV or Truck from California to Montana
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from California to Montana you should expect to pay between $1,284 and $1,940.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from California to Montana
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from California to Montana tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to Montana will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from California to Montana should take between 3 and 8 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in California and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in Montana. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from California to Montana
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from California to Montana:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from California to Montana. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best California to Montana movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between California and Montana.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- California to Montana movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from California to Montana.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and California car shippers you should use.
The best California to Montana car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from California to Montana works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from California to Montana.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in California where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in Montana on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from California to Montana?
- Car Insurance requirements: The minimum car insurance liability coverage in Montana are $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $20,000 per accident for property damage.
- Vehicle Inspection: If you are moving to Montana, you are not required to have your vehicle inspected.
- Driver’s License: New residents in Montana must start their driver’s license application process within 60 days of moving to the state.
- Additional Taxes: In Montana, there is no state-level sales tax on vehicles, however, local governments in Montana may impose their own taxes and fees on vehicles.
Alternative ways to ship your car from California to Montana
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 1306 miles on your car going from California to Montana. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from California to Montana for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from California to Montana FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in California and when dropping off my car in Montana?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in California and when dropping it off in Montana.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from California to Montana?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from California to Montana, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to Montana, which you should verify before loading your car in California.
How long does it take to ship a car from California to Montana?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from California to Montana being about 1306 miles, that’s as fast as about 3 days. But most car transporting companies will take 3-8 days to go from California to Montana.