Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 669 miles from California to Oregon ranges from $859 to $1,222 and takes 1-6 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Oregon to California car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from California to Oregon
Because the distance between California to Oregon is about 669 miles, it’ll take from 1 to 6 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Los Angeles, CA to Oregon
- Los Angeles to Portland: $938 to $1,468
- Los Angeles to Eugene: $934 to $1,409
- Los Angeles to Salem: $938 to $1,441
- Los Angeles to Medford: $874 to $1,251
- Los Angeles to Roseburg: $916 to $1,349
Cost to ship a car from San Diego, CA to Oregon
- San Diego to Portland: $931 to $1,490
- San Diego to Eugene: $935 to $1,480
- San Diego to Salem: $931 to $1,490
- San Diego to Medford: $924 to $1,370
- San Diego to Roseburg: $938 to $1,441
Cost to ship a car from San Jose, CA to Oregon
- San Jose to Portland: $859 to $1,222
- San Jose to Eugene: $789 to $1,096
- San Jose to Salem: $827 to $1,162
- San Jose to Medford: $663 to $908
- San Jose to Roseburg: $734 to $1,008
Cost to ship a car from San Francisco, CA to Oregon
- San Francisco to Portland: $844 to $1,193
- San Francisco to Eugene: $767 to $1,061
- San Francisco to Salem: $808 to $1,130
- San Francisco to Medford: $639 to $873
- San Francisco to Roseburg: $721 to $989
Cost to ship a car from Fresno, CA to Oregon
- Fresno to Portland: $898 to $1,303
- Fresno to Eugene: $844 to $1,193
- Fresno to Salem: $886 to $1,277
- Fresno to Medford: $734 to $1,008
- Fresno to Roseburg: $789 to $1,096
Shipping an SUV or Truck from California to Oregon
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from California to Oregon you should expect to pay between $1,074 and $1,528.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from California to Oregon
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from California to Oregon tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to Oregon will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from California to Oregon should take between 1 and 6 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in California and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in Oregon. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from California to Oregon
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from California to Oregon:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from California to Oregon. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best California to Oregon movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between California and Oregon.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- California to Oregon movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from California to Oregon.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and California car shippers you should use.
The best California to Oregon car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from California to Oregon works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from California to Oregon.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in California where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in Oregon on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from California to Oregon?
- Car Insurance requirements: You are required to have car insurance with a minimum of 25/50/20 liability coverage, $15,000 PIP coverage, and UM/UIM coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.
- Vehicle Inspection: When moving to Oregon, all vehicles must pass an emissions test and safety inspection before they can be registered with the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT). Emissions testing is required for vehicles that are less than 25 years old and are located in certain areas of the state, Safety inspections are required for all vehicles. Out of state inspection may be accepted by ODOT, but you should check with them directly.
- Driver’s License: To transfer your out-of-state driver's license to Oregon, you need to visit a DMV office within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. You will need your current out-of-state license, proof of identity and residency, and payment for the license fee. You may also need to pass a vision test and a knowledge or driving test.
- Additional Taxes: In Oregon, vehicles must be registered within 30 days of becoming a resident. Fees include standard registration, $98 title transfer fee, personal property tax based on vehicle value, any city taxes, and emission test (if required). Verify with Oregon DMV for up-to-date taxes and fees.
Alternative ways to ship your car from California to Oregon
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 669 miles on your car going from California to Oregon. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from California to Oregon for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from California to Oregon FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in California and when dropping off my car in Oregon?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in California and when dropping it off in Oregon.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from California to Oregon?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from California to Oregon, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to Oregon, which you should verify before loading your car in California.
How long does it take to ship a car from California to Oregon?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from California to Oregon being about 669 miles, that’s as fast as about 2 days. But most car transporting companies will take 1-6 days to go from California to Oregon.