How Much Will it Cost you to Move to South Dakota?
South Dakota. The land of outstanding tax benefits, robust job market, low cost of living, and beautiful rural landscapes . It’s very easy to see why you’d want to move there.
Surely if you’re looking to move to South Dakota, you know all of this but… How much does it cost to move to South Dakota?
That’s a far less known fact that you need to know if you’re moving to South Dakota.
Fortunately, you’re here. We’re going to break down how much it generally costs to move to South Dakota.
Of course, it’s crucial to get a personalized quote for your move. For that, take a look at our moving cost calculator.
So… How Much Does it Cost to Move to South Dakota?
The following prices are what you might expect to pay a professional moving company to move your items to South Dakota.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$662||$255||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$917||$255||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$1,478||$357||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$3,407||$500||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$3,907||$500||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$6,007||$700||5 movers||10 hours|
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Factors for your move
Before we get into the actual figures, it’s important that we touch on the main contributing factors that are going to affect the cost of your move to South Dakota.
- Size of your move: The more things you move, the more the move is going to cost. You’ll want to make sure that you’re only bringing with you those things that you truly want to have in South Dakota.
- Distance of the move: How far you are moving is another thing that is going to affect the cost of the relocation. The further the move, the higher the cost.
- Type of move: You have four main options for your move. A full-service moving company, renting a moving truck, getting a moving container, and hiring a freight trailer. We will break these down further in the article.
- Add-on services: Generally speaking, the more you do yourself the less the move is going to cost you. However, it can be nice to have professionals do your packing and unpacking for you. That’s going to cost a little extra.
- Time of the year: Moving in the summer can cost from 20-30% more! Relocating when moving companies have less demand will certainly bring your costs down.
How much does it cost to live in South Dakota?
- The cost index in South Dakota is 100. This means it's similar to the national average.
- The average rent in South Dakota for a one-bedroom apartment is $747 which is 43.67% lower than the national average.
- The average home value in South Dakota is $278,097 which is about 21.89% less expensive than the national average.
- The average income in South Dakota is $59,896 which is about 7.84% lower than the national average.
What are your moving options?
Hire a Professional Moving Company
Hiring a professional mover to move to South Dakota will cost the most money but will require the least amount of work.
Below is a list of the best companies to hire for your move.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
Other Moving to South Dakota options
- Rent a Moving Truck: This is your typical rental from a company like U-Haul. This will require the most amount of work but is the cheapest option.
- Rent a Moving Container: The pricing is a little more than a rental truck but less than a professional mover. This is a great option if you need storage with your move.
- Use Freight Shipping: An option for cross-country moves.
How do I ship a car to South Dakota?
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move. Here are the top shippers:
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||Best for Quick Pick Up||
Things to Know about your move
Although cost is certainly important, there are other factors that you should consider about your move.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in South Dakota, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number.
- Mover's Insurance: Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Weather: In South Dakota, drivers are required to have liability insurance coverage with at least the following minimum limits: $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person in an accident, $50,000 for total bodily injury or death per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.
What is the cheapest way to move to South Dakota?
Consider the particularities of your move. For some people, it’s cheaper to rent a moving container, but for others, it makes more sense to hire a professional moving company. To get the best idea of which option is best for you, we have a moving cost calculator that will give you a free, personalized, and instant quote.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!