Quick Answer: The average cost of hiring movers in West Virginia is $133 per hour with an average total move cost between $668 and $4,570, depending on the size and distance of your move.
Average cost to hire a moving company in West Virginia
The following prices are what you might expect to pay a professional moving company in West Virginia to move your belongings.
|Avg. total cost
|# of movers
- Studio: The average cost to hire movers in West Virginia to move a studio apartment is $668. You'll need two movers for three hours at $186 per hour.
- One bedroom: If you have a one-bedroom apartment or home, expect to pay around $854 for local West Virginia movers. You'll need two movers for four hours at $186 per hour.
- Two bedrooms: The average cost to hire West Virginia movers to move a two-bedroom home is $1,264. You'll need three movers for five hours at $261 per hour.
- Three bedrooms: For a three-bedroom home, expect to pay $2,672 for local West Virginia movers. A three-bedroom typically requires four movers for eight hours at $365 per hour.
- Four bedrooms: Moving a four-bedroom house in West Virginia will cost $3,037, on average. The cost to move a larger home can vary, but typically requires four movers for nine hours at $365 per hour.
- Five or more bedrooms: The cost of hiring West Virginia movers for a home with five or more bedrooms is $4,570. You'll need five movers for 10 hours at $511 per hour.
Average cost to hire an interstate mover in West Virginia
The cost to hire an interstate moving company from West Virginia to another state varies based on even more factors than a local move. Here are some cost examples from popular moving routes:
Cost to move a two- or three-bedroom home out of West Virginia
- West Virginia to California: $3,835–$6,328
- West Virginia to New York: $2,086–$4,331
- West Virginia to Illinois: $2,194–$4,516
- West Virginia to Texas: $2,846–$6,145
- West Virginia to Arizona: $3,544–$6,360
Now that you have an idea of what your move from West Virginia should cost, it’s time to start looking at the best long-distance moving movers in West Virginia.
Factors that affect the cost of your move to West Virginia
Here are the main contributing factors that are going to affect the cost of your move to West Virginia.
- Size of your move: The more items you move, the more the move is going to cost. You’ll want to make sure that you’re only bringing with you those things that you truly want to have in West Virginia.
- Distance of the move: How far you are moving will also affect the cost of your relocation to the Mountain State. Are you using a long distance mover? Or just moving a few miles away? The further the move, the higher the cost.
- Type of move: You have four main options for your move to West Virginia: A full-service moving company, renting a moving truck, getting a moving container, and hiring a freight trailer. We will break these down further in the article.
- Add-on services: Generally speaking, the more you do yourself the less the move to West Virginia is going to cost you. However, it can be nice to have professionals do your packing and unpacking for you. That’s going to cost a little extra.
- Time of the year: Moving in the summer can cost from 20-30% more! Relocating to West Virginia when moving companies have less demand will certainly bring your costs down.
The average cost of living in West Virginia
- The cost index in West Virginia is 91. This means it’s about 9% less expensive than the national average.
- The average rent in West Virginia for a one-bedroom apartment is $725 which is 45.32% lower than the national average.
- The average home value in West Virginia is $129,659 which is about 63.58% less expensive than the national average.
- The average income in West Virginia is $48,037 which is about 26.09% lower than the national average.
Options you have when moving to West Virginia
Hire a professional moving company
Hiring a professional mover to move to West Virginia will cost the most money but will require the least amount of work.
Below is a list of the best moving companies in West Virginia to hire for your move.
Other moving to West Virginia options
- Rent a moving truck: This is your typical rental from a company like U-Haul. This will require the most amount of work but is the cheapest option.
- Rent a moving container: You load the container, they drive it. The pricing is a little more than a rental truck but less than a professional mover. This is a great option if you need storage with your move.
- Use freight shipping: You pack a large 28-foot trailer at your house and they drive it for you. This is a good option for large cross-country moves.
How do I ship a car to West Virginia?
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move. Here are the top shippers:
|SGT Auto Transport
|Easy Auto Ship
|Montway Auto Transport
|Sherpa Auto Transport
|Ship A Car Direct
Things to know about your move to West Virginia
Although cost is certainly important, there are other factors that you should consider about your move.
- State Licensing: In the Mountaineer State, the state’s Public Service Commission oversees local and intrastate movers. The commission strives to support and promote the interests of both businesses and consumers, and those interested in hiring an in-state mover can browse the Commission’s Regulated Motor Carrier Database to verify that they’re reputable businesses in good standing.
- Mover's Insurance: When relocating in West Virginia, prioritize movers' insurance for comprehensive coverage. Many movers provide Released Value Protection at no additional cost, covering items at 60 cents per pound. Elevate your protection by exploring Full Value Protection options with the moving company or considering tailored plans from third-party insurance providers. Understand coverage limits, potential extra costs, and read reviews to make an informed decision on your West Virginia state moving insurance, ensuring a secure and stress-free relocation experience.
- Weather: West Virginia has warm to hot, humid summers and chilly winters. Be sure to check the weather during your move to avoid inclement weather.
What is the cheapest way to move to West Virginia?
The cheapest way to move in West Virginia is a DIY move. For some people in West Virginia, it’s cheaper to rent a moving truck, but for others, it makes more sense to hire a professional moving company. To get the best idea of which option is best for you, we have a moving cost calculator that will give you a free personalized and instant quote.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!