Quick Answer: The average cost to move from New York to San Jose, CA ranges from $1,200 to $7,748. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to San Jose, CA. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from San Jose, CA to New York guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best New York to San Jose, CA movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from New York to San Jose, CA.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York to San Jose, CA car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from New York to San Jose, CA?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,339 - $5,147||$1,469 - $2,401||$1,149 - $1,486|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,563 - $7,748||$2,492 - $3,797||$1,200 - $1,733|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,675 - $11,556||$3,453 - $4,894||$1,501 - $2,083|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,845 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York to San Jose, CA will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York to San Jose, CA Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from New York to San Jose, CA?
To ship furniture from New York to San Jose with a mover will cost between $1,339 to $5,147. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from San Jose to CA will range from $3,563 to $7,748, and a large move from New York to San Jose will cost from $6,675 to $11,556.
How much are moving containers like PODS from New York to San Jose, CA?
Moving pods from New York to San Jose will cost you $1,469 to $2,401 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,492 to $3,797. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,453 to $4,894.
How much is a moving truck from New York to San Jose, CA?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,149 to $1,486. A larger move will cost $1,200 to $1,733, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York to San Jose costs from $1,501 to $2,083.
How to ship a car from New York to San Jose, CA
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable NY to San Jose, CA car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York to San Jose, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York vs San Jose, CA
|New York||San Jose|
|Average rent cost||$1,280||$2,500|
|Average home value||$381,335||$1,444,420|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,117||$75,709|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent is about 95% more expensive in San Jose than in New York.
- Home prices are about 278.8% higher in San Jose than in New York.
- The average income is about 6.5% higher in San Jose than in New York.
- San Jose has a higher unemployment rate than New York by about 32.1%.
- Income taxes are 22.02% higher in San Jose than in New York.
How is life different in San Jose from New York?
|San Jose||New York|
|Political leaning||Democratic 73-25||Democratic 61-38|
- The population of San Jose is approximately 95% lower than the population of New York.
- In the last presidential election, San Jose voted Democratic and New York voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in San Jose is 82ºF and in New York, it’s 81ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, San Jose reaches the temperature of 42ºF and New York gets down to 16ºF.
- You can expect about 17 inches of annual rainfall in San Jose vs 44 inches of rainfall in New York.
- In San Jose, it snows about 0 inches annually vs 62 inches of snow in New York.
- San Jose has a higher crime rate than New York with a crime index of 28.18 vs 16.99.
Considerations for moving to San Jose, CA
- Weather: San Jose, like most of the Bay Area, has warm to hot, dry summers and mild to cool, wet winters. The city is somewhat more sheltered from rain, giving it a semi-arid feel .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to California. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local New York movers?
|Interior Moving Services Inc||Get A Quote||
157 La Grange Ave, Rochester, NY, 14613
|Triangle Movers Inc.||Get A Quote||
240 Dupont Ave., Newburgh, NY, 12550
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Need a local San Jose mover?
|Silicon Valley Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
186 Barnard Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125
|Lunardi Moving||Get A Quote||
1856 Almaden Road Unit 3, San Jose, CA, 95125
|All Reasons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
600 E Trimble Rd, San Jose, CA, 95131
Visit our Best Movers in San Jose page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in San Jose?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in San Jose.
Museums in San Jose
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Children's Discovery Museum
- The Tech Interactive
- San Jose Museum of Art
- New Almaden Mercury Mining Museum
- Japanese American Resource Center/Museum
- History San Jose
- Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies
- San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
- Mexican Heritage Plaza
- San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art
- American Firearms Museum
- California Trolley and Railroad Corporation
- Anno Domini Gallery
- Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana
Parks in San Jose
- Almaden Quicksilver County Park
- Alum Rock Park
- Emma Prusch Farm Park
- Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park
- Joseph D. Grant County Park
- Rotary Playgarden
- Monopoly in the Park
- Santa Teresa County Park
- Martial Cottle Park
- Guadalupe River Park
- Kelley Park
- Overfelt Gardens
- Lake Cunningham Park
- Hellyer County Park
- Saint James Park
Sports Teams in San Jose
- San Jose Barracuda (AHL)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
- San Jose Giants (California League)
- San Jose Sharks (NHL)
Universities in San Jose
- San Jose State University
- San Jose City College
- Evergreen Valley College
- International Technological University
- WestMed College
- Cogswell College
Where to move to in San Jose, CA?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Man Jose," these are the best neighborhoods in San Jose to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- West San Jose
- Willow Glen
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Cambrian Park
- West San Jose
- Willow Glen
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to San Jose
- Chicago to San Jose
- Houston to San Jose
- Phoenix to San Jose
- Philadelphia to San Jose
- San Antonio to San Jose
- Dallas to San Jose
- Austin to San Jose
- Jacksonville to San Jose
- Fort Worth to San Jose
Learn more about San Jose, CA
- What Is The Cost To Move In San Jose?
- What Is The Cost To Move To California?
- Best Moving Companies in California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!