Quick Answer: The cost to move from Houston, TX to Phoenix, AZ averages from $1,107 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Phoenix, AZ. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Phoenix to Houston guide.
- Best Houston to Phoenix movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Houston to Phoenix.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Houston to Phoenix car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,178 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Houston to Phoenix?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$1,214 - $2,273||$1,056 - $1,459|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$2,286 - $3,410||$1,107 - $1,706|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$3,054 - $4,265||$1,386 - $2,036|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,178 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Houston to Phoenix will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Houston to Phoenix Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Houston to Phoenix?
To ship furniture from Houston to Phoenix with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Houston to Phoenix will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from Houston to Phoenix?
Moving containers from Houston to Phoenix will cost you $1,214 to $2,273 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,286 to $3,410. A larger home will cost $3,054 to $4,265.
How much is a moving truck from Houston to Phoenix?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,056 to $1,459. A larger move will cost $1,107 to $1,706, and a 4+ bedroom move from Houston to Phoenix costs from $1,386 to $2,036.
How to ship a car from Houston to Phoenix
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Houston to Phoenix car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Houston, TX to Phoenix, AZ a good idea?
Cost of Living: Houston vs Phoenix
|Average rent cost||$1,242||$1,300|
|Average home value||$243,875||$396,063|
|Average income (per capita)||$62,076||$59,455|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$838||$928|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,976||$3,262|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||4.5%|
- Rent Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 5% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Home Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 62.4% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Income in Phoenix, AZ is 4.2% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Phoenix, AZ is 10.7% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Phoenix, AZ is 9.6% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Phoenix, AZ is 37.50% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Phoenix, AZ are 4.24% higher than in Houston, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Phoenix, AZ are 4.50% higher than in Houston, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,677.8 in Phoenix to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Houston.
How is life different in Houston, TX to Phoenix, AZ?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||5|
|Bike friendliness score||56||49|
- Phoenix’s population is about 30% less than Houston.
- Phoenix’s public transportation is not as good as Houston with a score of 6 vs 5.
- Phoenix is less walkable than Houston with a score of 41 vs 47.
- Phoenix is more bike-friendly than Houston with a score of 56 vs 49.
- Phoenix's crime rate is lower than Houston with a score of 40.25 compared to 55.87.
- Phoenix is considered to be safer than Houston with a safety index of 48.11 vs 36.23.
- Air Quality in Phoenix is Moderate, and in Houston it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Phoenix, AZ
- Weather: The climate is unlikely to affect your move but summers in Phoenix are unsurprisingly very hot with daily averages over 100° F. You should take this into consideration because moving often requires spending many hours outdoors. You should also be sure that air conditioning is set up in your new home before move day, especially if you're moving in the summer. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Though Arizona is largely an “unregulated” state, local moving companies are subject to some Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) and Department of Weights and Measures regulations intended to ensure that they operate safely and ethically. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Arizona moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Arizona does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Phoenix. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Houston Movers
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
7935 Wright Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Phoenix, AZ
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Arizona's Urban Heart", these are the best neighborhoods in Phoenix to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Camelback East
- Estrella Village
- North Gateway
- South Mountain
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Paradise Valley
What to do in Phoenix
Moving to The “Arizona's Urban Heart”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Arizona home.
- Musical Instrument Museum
- Desert Botanical Garden
- Camelback Mountain
- Heard Museum
- South Mountain Park
- Piestewa Peak
- Hole in the Rock
- Papago Park
- Chase Field
- Wrigley Mansion
- Phoenix Art Museum
- Echo Canyon Trail and Recreation Area
- Phoenix Zoo
- Children’s Museum of Phoenix
- Dobbins Lookout
Get your sports on!Phoenix is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB)
- Phoenix Suns(NBA)
- Arizona Coyotes (NHL)
- Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
- Arizona Rattlers (IFL)
- Phoenix Rising FC (USLC)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Phoenix
- New York City to Phoenix
- Chicago to Phoenix
- Houston to Phoenix
- Philadelphia to Phoenix
- San Antonio to Phoenix
- San Diego to Phoenix
- Dallas to Phoenix
- San Jose to Phoenix
- Austin to Phoenix
Learn more about Phoenix
- What Is The Cost To Move In Phoenix?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Arizona?
- 10 Best Cities for Remote Workers
- Tips on Moving to Phoenix, AZ: Ultimate Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in Phoenix, AZ
- Best Moving Companies in Arizona
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!