Moving from Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD averages from $645 to $5,887 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Sioux Falls, SD. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Sioux Falls to Dallas guide.
- Best Dallas to Sioux Falls movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Dallas to Sioux Falls.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Dallas to Sioux Falls car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 839 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Dallas to Sioux Falls?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,199 - $4,329||$808 - $1,961||$598 - $1,126|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,398 - $5,887||$1,452 - $2,864||$645 - $1,338|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,060 - $8,055||$1,950 - $3,742||$808 - $1,624|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 839 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Dallas to Sioux Falls will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Dallas to Sioux Falls Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Dallas to Sioux Falls?
To ship furniture from Dallas to Sioux Falls with a mover will cost between $1,199 to $4,329. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,398 to $5,887, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Dallas to Sioux Falls will cost from $4,060 to $8,055.
How much are moving container companies from Dallas to Sioux Falls?
Moving containers from Dallas to Sioux Falls will cost you $808 to $1,961 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,452 to $2,864. A larger home will cost $1,950 to $3,742.
How much is a moving truck from Dallas to Sioux Falls?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $598 to $1,126. A larger move will cost $645 to $1,338, and a 4+ bedroom move from Dallas to Sioux Falls costs from $808 to $1,624.
How to ship a car from Dallas to Sioux Falls?
If you're moving from Dallas to Sioux Falls and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Dallas to Sioux Falls car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD a good idea?
Cost of Living: Dallas vs Sioux Falls
|Average rent cost||$1,464||$795|
|Average home value||$293,549||$304,712|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,361||$54,451|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$936||$1,602|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,334||$3,376|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Sioux Falls, SD are 46% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Home Prices in Sioux Falls, SD are 3.8% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Income in Sioux Falls, SD is 11.3% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Sioux Falls, SD is 71.2% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Sioux Falls, SD is 1.3% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Sioux Falls, SD is 11.11% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Sioux Falls, SD are 21.21% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- State Income Taxes are the same in Sioux Falls, SD and Dallas, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $865.4 in Sioux Falls to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Dallas.
How is life different in Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||2||6|
|Bike friendliness score||46||49|
- Sioux Falls’s population is about 84% less than Dallas.
- Sioux Falls’s public transportation is better than Dallas with a score of 2 vs 6.
- Sioux Falls is less walkable than Dallas with a score of 38 vs 46.
- Sioux Falls is less bike-friendly than Dallas with a score of 46 vs 49.
- Sioux Falls's crime rate is lower than Dallas with a score of 10.0 compared to 45.35.
- Sioux Falls is considered to be safer than Dallas with a safety index of 55.57 vs 49.82.
- Air Quality in Sioux Falls is Good, and in Dallas it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Sioux Falls, SD
- Weather: August, June and September are the most pleasant months in Sioux Falls, while January and December are the least comfortable months..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in South Dakota, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a South Dakota moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: South Dakota does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Sioux Falls. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Dallas Movers
|Get A Quote||
3736 Glencoe Street #1108,, Dallas, TX, 75206
|Firefighting's Finest Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2306 Sherwin St., Garland, TX, 75041
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
7055 John W. Carpenter Fwy,, Dallas, TX, 75247
Visit our Best Movers in Dallas page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Sioux Falls, SD
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Best Little City in America", these are the best neighborhoods in Sioux Falls to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Downtown Sioux Falls
- East Sioux Falls
- McKennan Park
Best neighborhoods for families:
- McKennan Park
- Downtown Sioux Falls
- West Sioux Falls
- East Sioux Falls
- Cherry Lake
What to do in Sioux Falls
Moving to The “Best Little City in America”? These are some of the best things to do in your new South Dakota home.
- Falls Park
- SculptureWalk & Arc of Dreams Monument
- St. Joseph Cathedral
- Sioux Falls Bike Trails
- Butterfly House & Aquarium
- Washington Pavilion
- Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum of Natural History
- USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial
- Pettigrew Home & Museum
- Old Courthouse Museum
- Denny Sanford Premier Center
- WoodGrain Brewing Company
Get your sports on!Sioux Falls is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Sioux Falls Skyforce (G League)
- Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
- Augustana Vikings (NSIC)
- Sioux Falls Cougars (NSIC)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Sioux Falls
- New York City to Sioux Falls
- Chicago to Sioux Falls
- Phoenix to Sioux Falls
- Philadelphia to Sioux Falls
- San Diego to Sioux Falls
- San Jose to Sioux Falls
- Jacksonville to Sioux Falls
- Columbus to Sioux Falls
- Indianapolis to Sioux Falls