Quick Answer: The cost to move from Los Angeles, CA to Portland, ME averages from $2,308 to $8,780 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Portland, ME. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Portland to Los Angeles guide.
- Best Los Angeles to Portland movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Los Angeles to Portland.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Los Angeles to Portland car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 3,083 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Los Angeles to Portland?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,465 - $6,178||$2,151 - $3,710||$2,130 - $2,803|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,373 - $8,780||$3,811 - $5,796||$2,308 - $3,337|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,228 - $13,604||$5,268 - $7,470||$2,917 - $4,100|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 3,083 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Los Angeles to Portland will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Los Angeles to Portland Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Los Angeles to Portland?
To ship furniture from Los Angeles to Portland with a mover will cost between $1,465 to $6,178. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,373 to $8,780, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Los Angeles to Portland will cost from $8,228 to $13,604.
How much are moving container companies from Los Angeles to Portland?
Moving containers from Los Angeles to Portland will cost you $2,151 to $3,710 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $3,811 to $5,796. A larger home will cost $5,268 to $7,470.
How much is a moving truck from Los Angeles to Portland?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $2,130 to $2,803. A larger move will cost $2,308 to $3,337, and a 4+ bedroom move from Los Angeles to Portland costs from $2,917 to $4,100.
How to ship a car from Los Angeles to Portland
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Los Angeles to Portland car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Los Angeles, CA to Portland, ME a good idea?
Cost of Living: Los Angeles vs Portland
|Average rent cost||$2,306||$1,460|
|Average home value||$2,110,111||$502,536|
|Average income (per capita)||$68,632||$59,564|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,060||$2,374|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,843||$5,630|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||7.15%|
- Rent Prices in Portland, ME are 37% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Home Prices in Portland, ME are 76.2% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Income in Portland, ME is 13.2% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Portland, ME is 124.0% higher than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Portland, ME is 46.5% higher than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Portland, ME is 52.73% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Portland, ME are 42.11% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Portland, ME are 46.24% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $-718.9 in Portland to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Los Angeles.
How is life different in Los Angeles, CA to Portland, ME?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||8|
|Bike friendliness score||68||59|
- Portland’s population is about 99% less than Los Angeles.
- Portland’s public transportation is not as good as Los Angeles with a score of 6 vs 8.
- Portland is less walkable than Los Angeles with a score of 62 vs 69.
- Portland is more bike-friendly than Los Angeles with a score of 68 vs 59.
- Portland's crime rate is higher than Los Angeles with a score of 31.0 compared to 29.96.
- Portland is considered to be safer than Los Angeles with a safety index of 67.26 vs 49.78.
- Air Quality in Portland is Good, and in Los Angeles it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Portland, ME
- Weather: August, July and June are the most pleasant months in Portland, while January and February are the least comfortable months..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in Maine, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Maine moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Maine does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Portland. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Los Angeles Movers
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
355 S Grand Ave Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA, 90071
|Move Central Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2466 E 16th St, Los Angeles, CA, 90021
|ABC Moving Systems||Get A Quote||
11301 W Olympic Blvd #727, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
Visit our Best Movers in Los Angeles page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Portland, ME
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Forest City", these are the best neighborhoods in Portland to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- East End
- West End
- West Bayside
- Back Cove
- Valley Street
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Deering Center
- East End
- West End
- Valley Street
- North Deering
- Back Cove
- East Deering
What to do in Portland
Moving to The “The Forest City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Maine home.
- Portland's Old Port District & Commercial Street
- Casco Bay and the Calendar Islands
- Victoria Mansion
- Eastern Promenade
- Portland Museum of Art
- Children's Museum & Theatre of Maine
- Crescent Beach
- Portland Observatory
- Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co and Museum
- Portland Head Light & Fort Williams Park
- Wadsworth Longfellow House
Get your sports on!Portland is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Maine Celtics (G League)
- Maine Mariners (ECHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Portland
- New York City to Portland
- Chicago to Portland
- Houston to Portland
- Phoenix to Portland
- Philadelphia to Portland
- San Antonio to Portland
- San Diego to Portland
- Dallas to Portland
- San Jose to Portland
Learn more about Portland
- What Is The Cost To Move In Portland?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Maine?
- Best Moving Companies in Portland, ME
- Best Moving Companies in Maine
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!