Moving from San Francisco, CA to New York City, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Francisco, CA to New York City, NY averages from $1,802 to $8,460 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to New York City, NY. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from New York City to San Francisco guide.
- Best San Francisco to New York City movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Francisco to New York City.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Francisco to New York City car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,906 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Francisco to New York City?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,412 - $5,954||$1,505 - $3,755||$1,664 - $3,228|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,214 - $8,460||$2,670 - $5,589||$1,802 - $3,844|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,929 - $13,110||$3,687 - $7,632||$2,279 - $4,719|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,906 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Francisco to New York City will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best San Francisco to New York City Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from San Francisco to New York City?
To ship furniture from San Francisco to New York City with a mover will cost between $1,412 to $5,954. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,214 to $8,460, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from San Francisco to New York City will cost from $7,929 to $13,110.
How much are moving container companies from San Francisco to New York City?
Moving containers from San Francisco to New York City will cost you $1,505 to $3,755 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,670 to $5,589. A larger home will cost $3,687 to $7,632.
How much is a moving truck from San Francisco to New York City?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,664 to $3,228. A larger move will cost $1,802 to $3,844, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Francisco to New York City costs from $2,279 to $4,719.
How to ship a car from San Francisco to New York City?
If you're moving from San Francisco to New York City and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated San Francisco to New York City car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from San Francisco, CA to New York City, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: San Francisco vs New York City
|San Francisco||New York City|
|Average rent cost||$2,900||$3,367|
|Average home value||$1,579,001||$746,354|
|Average income (per capita)||$123,859||$71,983|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,270||$1,364|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$4,576||$5,009|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
- Rent Prices in New York City, NY are 16% higher than in San Francisco, CA.
- Home Prices in New York City, NY are 52.7% lower than in San Francisco, CA.
- Income in New York City, NY is 41.9% lower than in San Francisco, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in New York City, NY is 7.4% higher than in San Francisco, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in New York City, NY is 9.5% higher than in San Francisco, CA.
- Unemployment rate in New York City, NY is 124.00% higher than in San Francisco, CA.
- Sales Taxes in New York City, NY are 7.30% lower than in San Francisco, CA.
- State Income Taxes in New York City, NY are 18.05% lower than in San Francisco, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,778.0 in New York City to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in San Francisco.
How is life different in San Francisco, CA to New York City, NY?
|New York City||San Francisco|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||10||10|
|Bike friendliness score||69||99|
- New York City’s population is about 907% greater than San Francisco.
- New York City’s public transportation has a similar score to San Francisco.
- New York City is less walkable than San Francisco with a score of 88 vs 99.
- New York City is less bike-friendly than San Francisco with a score of 69 vs 99.
- New York City's crime rate is lower than San Francisco with a score of 25.8 compared to 50.72.
- New York City is considered to be safer than San Francisco with a safety index of 52.42 vs 40.45.
- Air Quality in New York City is Good, and in San Francisco it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to New York City, NY
- Weather: New York City tends to have chilly and damp winters and rather hot summers. New York City tends to have warm and humid summers with mixes of rain, and very cold, snowy, and windy winters. The city is generally cloudy year-round. Temperatures typically vary from 26°F to 887°F. Temps are rarely below 10°F or above 95°F..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to New York City. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local San Francisco Movers
|Get A Quote||
149 New Montgomery St., San Francisco, CA, 94105
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
361 Swift Ave, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
|Good Green Moving||Get A Quote||
1355 Market Street Suite 488, San Francisco, CA, 94103
Visit our Best Movers in San Francisco page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in New York City, NY
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Big Apple", these are the best neighborhoods in New York City to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Astoria, Queens
- Lower East Side, Manhattan
- Murray Hill, Manhattan
- Upper East Side, Manhattan
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Battery Park City, Manhattan
- Forest Hills, Queens
- Great Kills, Staten Island
- Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Riverdale, Bronx
What to do in New York City
Moving to The “The Big Apple”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New York home.
- Central Park
- Empire State Building
- Statue of Liberty and Battery Park
- Times Square
- Fifth Avenue
- Rockefeller Center
- Grand Central Terminal
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
Get your sports on!New York City is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Brooklyn Nets (NBA)
- Long Island Nets (NBA G League)
- New York City FC (MLS)
- New York Giants (NFL)
- New York Islanders (NHL)
- New York Jets (NFL)
- New York Knicks (NBA)
- New York Liberty (WNBA)
- New York Mets (MLB)
- New York Rangers (NHL)
- New York Red Bulls (MLS)
- New York Yankees (MLB)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Chicago to New York City
- Houston to New York City
- Phoenix to New York City
- Philadelphia to New York City
- San Antonio to New York City
- Dallas to New York City
- Austin to New York City
- Jacksonville to New York City
- Fort Worth to New York City
- Columbus to New York City