Moving from Tampa, FL to Newark, NJ: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Tampa, FL to Newark, NJ averages from $798 to $5,984 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Newark, NJ. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Newark to Tampa guide.
- Best Tampa to Newark movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Tampa to Newark.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Tampa to Newark car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,122 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Tampa to Newark?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,159 - $4,690||$900 - $2,199||$739 - $1,405|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,523 - $5,984||$1,613 - $3,225||$798 - $1,670|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,213 - $7,971||$2,180 - $4,257||$1,003 - $2,034|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,122 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Tampa to Newark will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Tampa to Newark Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Tampa to Newark?
To ship furniture from Tampa to Newark with a mover will cost between $1,159 to $4,690. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,523 to $5,984, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Tampa to Newark will cost from $4,213 to $7,971.
How much are moving container companies from Tampa to Newark?
Moving containers from Tampa to Newark will cost you $900 to $2,199 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,613 to $3,225. A larger home will cost $2,180 to $4,257.
How much is a moving truck from Tampa to Newark?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $739 to $1,405. A larger move will cost $798 to $1,670, and a 4+ bedroom move from Tampa to Newark costs from $1,003 to $2,034.
How to ship a car from Tampa to Newark?
If you're moving from Tampa to Newark and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Tampa to Newark car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Tampa, FL to Newark, NJ a good idea?
Cost of Living: Tampa vs Newark
|Average rent cost||$1,679||$1,346|
|Average home value||$374,697||$393,961|
|Average income (per capita)||$57,709||$40,235|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,013||$1,015|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,611||$3,390|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||10.75%|
- Rent Prices in Newark, NJ are 20% lower than in Tampa, FL.
- Home Prices in Newark, NJ are 5.1% higher than in Tampa, FL.
- Income in Newark, NJ is 30.3% lower than in Tampa, FL.
- Cost of Living for a single person is the same in Newark, NJ and Tampa, FL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Newark, NJ is 6.1% lower than in Tampa, FL.
- Unemployment rate in Newark, NJ is 160.00% higher than in Tampa, FL.
- Sales Taxes in Newark, NJ are 11.60% lower than in Tampa, FL.
- State Income Taxes in Newark, NJ are 10.75% higher than in Tampa, FL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,994.1 in Newark to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Tampa.
How is life different in Tampa, FL to Newark, NJ?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||8|
|Bike friendliness score||51||51|
- Newark’s population is about 19% less than Tampa.
- Newark’s public transportation is not as good as Tampa with a score of 9 vs 8.
- Newark is more walkable than Tampa with a score of 76 vs 51.
- Newark and Tampa are similarily bike-friendly.
- Newark's crime rate is lower than Tampa with a score of 20.25 compared to 21.92.
- Newark is considered to be less safe than Tampa with a score of 28.53 vs 52.86.
- Air Quality in Newark is Good, and in Tampa it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Newark, NJ
- Weather: Newark has cold winters and hot humid summers..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In New Jersey, the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs handles the regulation of in-state moving companies. The state’s Division of Consumer Affairs works to ensure that warehousemen (public storage companies) and public movers provide safe, reliable, and ethical services while adhering to all relevant state rules and regulations. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New Jersey moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New Jersey does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Newark. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Tampa Movers
|Coleman Worldwide Moving||Get A Quote||
6000 N 51st St, Tampa, FL, 33610
|2 College Brothers Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
4701 Acline Dr E, Tampa, FL, 33605
|Bull Moving, LLC||Get A Quote||
12204 N Florida Ave, Tampa, FL, 33612
Visit our Best Movers in Tampa page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Newark, NJ
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Brick City", these are the best neighborhoods in Newark to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- North Ironbound
- South Ironbound
- Seventh Avenue
- Upper Roseville
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Upper Vailsburg
- Seventh Avenue
- North Ironbound
What to do in Newark
Moving to The “Brick City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New Jersey home.
- Branch Brook Park
- Prudential Center
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart
- Newark Museum
- Newark Penn Station
- Newark Public Library
- St. Lucy's Church
- AirTrain Newark
- Military Park
Get your sports on!Newark is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- New Jersey Devils (NHL)
- Metropolitan Riveters (NWHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Newark
- New York City to Newark
- Chicago to Newark
- Houston to Newark
- Phoenix to Newark
- Philadelphia to Newark
- San Antonio to Newark
- San Diego to Newark
- Dallas to Newark
- San Jose to Newark