Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Des Moines, IA averages from $142 to $4,505 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Des Moines, IA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Des Moines to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Des Moines movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Des Moines.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Des Moines car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 145 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Des Moines?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$893 - $3,013||$638 - $1,243||$135 - $186|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$1,556 - $4,505||$1,169 - $1,833||$142 - $217|
|4+ bedrooms||$2,100 - $5,933||$1,510 - $2,223||$166 - $235|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 145 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Des Moines will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Des Moines Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Des Moines?
To ship furniture from New York City to Des Moines with a mover will cost between $893 to $3,013. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $1,556 to $4,505, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Des Moines will cost from $2,100 to $5,933.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Des Moines?
Moving containers from New York City to Des Moines will cost you $638 to $1,243 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,169 to $1,833. A larger home will cost $1,510 to $2,223.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Des Moines?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $135 to $186. A larger move will cost $142 to $217, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Des Moines costs from $166 to $235.
How to ship a car from New York City to Des Moines
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to Des Moines car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Des Moines, IA a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Des Moines
|New York City||Des Moines|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$878|
|Average home value||$746,354||$189,518|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$58,492|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$1,891|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$4,380|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||8.53%|
- Rent Prices in Des Moines, IA are 74% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Des Moines, IA are 74.6% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Des Moines, IA is 18.7% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Des Moines, IA is 38.6% higher than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Des Moines, IA is 12.6% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Des Moines, IA is 47.32% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Des Moines, IA are 12.50% lower than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Des Moines, IA are 21.74% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $1,840.9 in Des Moines to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Des Moines, IA?
|Des Moines||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||10|
|Bike friendliness score||39||69|
- Des Moines’s population is about 92% less than New York City.
- Des Moines’s public transportation is not as good as New York City with a score of 5 vs 10.
- Des Moines is less walkable than New York City with a score of 45 vs 88.
- Des Moines is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 39 vs 69.
- Des Moines's crime rate is lower than New York City with a score of 5.0 compared to 25.8.
- Des Moines is considered to be safer than New York City with a safety index of 57.8 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Des Moines is Good, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Des Moines, IA
- Weather: September, June and May are the most pleasant months in Des Moines, while January and December are the least comfortable months..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When moving within Iowa, make sure to hire a company that is licensed by the Iowa Department of Transportation. Each household goods mover in the state should have an Iowa Motor Carrier (IOWAMC) Number, which means they’ve met minimum insurance and highway safety requirements. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Iowa moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Iowa does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Des Moines. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Des Moines, IA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Hartford of the West", these are the best neighborhoods in Des Moines to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Sherman Hill
- East Village
- North of Grand
- Woodland Heights
- Arbor Peaks
- Chautauqua Park
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Linden Heights
- Waveland Park
- Salisbury Oaks
What to do in Des Moines
Moving to The “Hartford of the West”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Iowa home.
- State Capitol
- Science Center of Iowa
- John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park
- Salisbury House & Gardens
- Des Moines Art Center
- Principal Park
- East Village
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Water Works Park
- Iowa State Fair
- Hoyt Sherman Place
- Robert D. Ray Asian Gardens
Get your sports on!Des Moines is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Drake Bulldogs
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Des Moines
- New York City to Des Moines
- Chicago to Des Moines
- Houston to Des Moines
- Phoenix to Des Moines
- Philadelphia to Des Moines
- San Antonio to Des Moines
- San Diego to Des Moines
- Dallas to Des Moines
- San Jose to Des Moines
Learn more about Des Moines
- What Is The Cost To Move In Des Moines?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Iowa?
- Best Moving Companies in Des Moines, IA
- Best Moving Companies in Iowa
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!