Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Newark, NJ averages from $1,107 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Newark, NJ. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Newark to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Newark movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Newark.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Newark car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,152 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Newark?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$1,214 - $2,273||$1,056 - $1,459|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$2,286 - $3,410||$1,107 - $1,706|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$3,054 - $4,265||$1,386 - $2,036|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,152 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Newark will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Newark Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Newark?
To ship furniture from New York City to Newark with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Newark will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Newark?
Moving containers from New York City to Newark will cost you $1,214 to $2,273 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,286 to $3,410. A larger home will cost $3,054 to $4,265.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Newark?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,056 to $1,459. A larger move will cost $1,107 to $1,706, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Newark costs from $1,386 to $2,036.
How to ship a car from New York City to Newark
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to Newark car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Newark, NJ a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Newark
|New York City||Newark|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$1,346|
|Average home value||$746,354||$393,961|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$40,235|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$1,015|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$3,390|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||10.75%|
- Rent Prices in Newark, NJ are 60% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Newark, NJ are 47.2% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Newark, NJ is 44.1% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Newark, NJ is 25.6% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Newark, NJ is 32.3% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Newark, NJ is 16.07% higher than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Newark, NJ are 17.13% lower than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Newark, NJ are 1.38% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,232.4 in Newark to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Newark, NJ?
|Newark||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||10|
|Bike friendliness score||51||69|
- Newark’s population is about 96% less than New York City.
- Newark’s public transportation is not as good as New York City with a score of 9 vs 10.
- Newark is less walkable than New York City with a score of 76 vs 88.
- Newark is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 51 vs 69.
- Newark's crime rate is lower than New York City with a score of 20.25 compared to 25.8.
- Newark is considered to be less safe than New York City with a score of 28.53 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Newark is Good, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Newark, NJ
- Weather: Newark has cold winters and hot humid summers..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In New Jersey, the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs handles the regulation of in-state moving companies. The state’s Division of Consumer Affairs works to ensure that warehousemen (public storage companies) and public movers provide safe, reliable, and ethical services while adhering to all relevant state rules and regulations. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New Jersey moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New Jersey does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Newark. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Newark, NJ
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Brick City", these are the best neighborhoods in Newark to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- North Ironbound
- South Ironbound
- Seventh Avenue
- Upper Roseville
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Upper Vailsburg
- Seventh Avenue
- North Ironbound
What to do in Newark
Moving to The “Brick City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New Jersey home.
- Branch Brook Park
- Prudential Center
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart
- Newark Museum
- Newark Penn Station
- Newark Public Library
- St. Lucy's Church
- AirTrain Newark
- Military Park
Get your sports on!Newark is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- New Jersey Devils (NHL)
- Metropolitan Riveters (NWHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Newark
- New York City to Newark
- Chicago to Newark
- Houston to Newark
- Phoenix to Newark
- Philadelphia to Newark
- San Antonio to Newark
- San Diego to Newark
- Dallas to Newark
- San Jose to Newark
Learn more about Newark
- What Is The Cost To Move In Newark?
- What Is The Cost To Move To New Jersey?
- Best Moving Companies in Newark, NJ
- Best Moving Companies in New Jersey
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!