Moving from New York City, NY to Fort Worth, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Fort Worth, TX averages from $1,063 to $6,945 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Fort Worth, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Fort Worth to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Fort Worth movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Fort Worth.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Fort Worth car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,588 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Fort Worth?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,262 - $4,969||$1,060 - $2,610||$983 - $1,886|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,080 - $6,945||$1,892 - $3,848||$1,063 - $2,244|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,516 - $9,884||$2,578 - $5,148||$1,340 - $2,743|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,588 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Fort Worth will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Fort Worth Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Fort Worth?
To ship furniture from New York City to Fort Worth with a mover will cost between $1,262 to $4,969. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,080 to $6,945, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Fort Worth will cost from $5,516 to $9,884.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Fort Worth?
Moving containers from New York City to Fort Worth will cost you $1,060 to $2,610 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,892 to $3,848. A larger home will cost $2,578 to $5,148.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Fort Worth?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $983 to $1,886. A larger move will cost $1,063 to $2,244, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Fort Worth costs from $1,340 to $2,743.
How to ship a car from New York City to Fort Worth?
If you're moving from New York City to Fort Worth and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated New York City to Fort Worth car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Fort Worth, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Fort Worth
|New York City||Fort Worth|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$1,220|
|Average home value||$746,354||$286,673|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$58,947|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$961|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$3,368|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Fort Worth, TX are 64% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Fort Worth, TX are 61.6% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Fort Worth, TX is 18.1% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Fort Worth, TX is 29.5% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Fort Worth, TX is 32.8% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Fort Worth, TX is 67.86% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Fort Worth, TX are 3.13% higher than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Fort Worth, TX are 100.00% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,113.6 in Fort Worth to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Fort Worth, TX?
|Fort Worth||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||3||10|
|Bike friendliness score||39||69|
- Fort Worth’s population is about 90% less than New York City.
- Fort Worth’s public transportation is better than New York City with a score of 3 vs 10.
- Fort Worth is less walkable than New York City with a score of 35 vs 88.
- Fort Worth is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 39 vs 69.
- Fort Worth's crime rate is higher than New York City with a score of 33.16 compared to 25.8.
- Fort Worth is considered to be safer than New York City with a safety index of 56.91 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Fort Worth is Moderate, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Fort Worth, TX
- Weather: Although temperatures throughout the year are suitable for moving, rainfall is more frequent in May and October meaning your move could be slightly delayed. Spring is the time of year that tornados in Fort Worth are most likely..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Fort Worth. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Fort Worth, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Cowtown", these are the best neighborhoods in Fort Worth to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Arlington Heights
- Mistletoe Heights
- Sundance Square
- White Settlement
Best neighborhoods for families:
- North Richland Hills
- Westworth Village
What to do in Fort Worth
Moving to The “Cowtown”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Texas home.
- Fort Worth Zoo
- Sundance Square
- Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District
- Fort Worth Water Gardens
- Kimbell Art Museum
- Fort Worth Botanic Garden
- Fort Worth Japanese Garden
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- SeaQuest Fort Worth
- Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
- Texas Motor Speedway
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art
- Cowtown Coliseum
- Burger's Lake
- Log Cabin Village
Get your sports on!Fort Worth is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Panther City Lacrosse Club (NLL)
- Fort Worth Vaqueros FC (NPSL)
- Inocentes FC (UPSL)
- North Texas Fresh (UBA)
- Azul City Premier FC (UPSL)
- TCU Horned Frogs (NCAA)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Fort Worth
- Chicago to Fort Worth
- Phoenix to Fort Worth
- Philadelphia to Fort Worth
- San Diego to Fort Worth
- San Jose to Fort Worth
- Jacksonville to Fort Worth
- Columbus to Fort Worth
- Indianapolis to Fort Worth
- Charlotte to Fort Worth