Quick Answer: The cost to move from Dallas, TX to Stockton, CA averages from $1,200 to $6,843 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Stockton, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Stockton to Dallas guide.
- Best Dallas to Stockton movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Dallas to Stockton.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Dallas to Stockton car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,682 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Dallas to Stockton?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,255 - $4,964||$1,469 - $2,401||$1,149 - $1,486|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,013 - $6,843||$2,492 - $3,797||$1,200 - $1,733|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,344 - $9,648||$3,453 - $4,894||$1,501 - $2,083|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,682 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Dallas to Stockton will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Dallas to Stockton?
To ship furniture from Dallas to Stockton with a mover will cost between $1,255-$4,964. The cost to move a 2-3 bedroom home will range from $3,013 to $6,843, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Dallas to Stockton will cost from $5,344 to $9,648.
How much are moving container companies from Dallas to Stockton?
Moving containers from Dallas to Stockton will cost you $1,469-$2,401 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2-3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,492 - $3,797. A larger home will cost $3,453 - $4,894.
How much is a moving truck from Dallas to Stockton?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,149 to $1,486. A larger move will cost $1,200 - $1,733, and a 4+ bedroom move from Dallas to Stockton costs from $1,501 - $2,083.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Dallas to Stockton Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
Local Dallas Movers
|Get A Quote||
3736 Glencoe Street #1108,, Dallas, TX, 75206
|Firefighting's Finest Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2306 Sherwin St., Garland, TX, 75041
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
7055 John W. Carpenter Fwy,, Dallas, TX, 75247
Visit our Best Movers in Dallas page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
How to ship a car from Dallas to Stockton
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Dallas to Stockton car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
|Best Overall Value||Best Insurance Coverage||Best for Quick Pick Up||Best for accurate pricing||Best auto transport marketplace|
|(224) 206-5633||(866) 563-0804||(888) 259-6046||(833) 775-1461|
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Dallas, TX to Stockton, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Dallas vs Stockton
|Average rent cost||$1,464||$1,198|
|Average home value||$293,549||$449,924|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,361||$59,504|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$936||$941|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,334||$3,306|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in Stockton, CA are 18% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Home Prices in Stockton, CA are 53.3% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Income in Stockton, CA is 3.0% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Stockton, CA is 0.5% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Stockton, CA is 0.8% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Stockton, CA is 177.78% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Stockton, CA are 9.09% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Stockton, CA are 13.30% higher than in Dallas, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,984.0 in Stockton to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Dallas.
How is life different in Dallas, TX to Stockton, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||4||6|
|Bike friendliness score||52||49|
- Stockton’s population is about 75% less than Dallas.
- Stockton’s public transportation is not as good as Dallas with a score of 4 vs 6.
- Stockton is less walkable than Dallas with a score of 44 vs 46.
- Stockton is more bike-friendly than Dallas with a score of 52 vs 49.
- Stockton's crime rate is lower than Dallas with a score of 43.43 compared to 45.35.
- Stockton is considered to be less safe than Dallas with a score of 21.89 vs 49.82.
- Air Quality in Stockton is Good, and in Dallas it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Stockton, CA
- Weather: Stockton is characterized by hot to sweltering, arid summers and pleasant to warm winters..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Stockton. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
What to do in
Moving to The “Asparagus Capital of the World”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- Historic Bob Hope Theatre
- The Haggin Museum
- Stockton Arena
- University of the Pacific
- Pixie Woods - Louis Park
- Banner Island Ballpark
- Children's Museum of Stockton
- Rusty Wallace Racing Experience - Stockton 99 Speedway
- Wat Dhammararam Buddhist Temple
- Channel Brewing Company
- Downtown Stockton Marina and Joan Darrah Promenade
Get your sports on!Stockton is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Stockton Heat (AHL)
- Stockton Kings (NBA G League)
- Stockton Ports (Low-A West)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Stockton
- Chicago to Stockton
- Houston to Stockton
- Phoenix to Stockton
- Philadelphia to Stockton
- San Antonio to Stockton
- Dallas to Stockton
- Austin to Stockton
- Jacksonville to Stockton
- Fort Worth to Stockton
Learn more about Stockton
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!