Quick Answer: The cost to move from Houston, TX to Hartford, CT averages from $1,200 to $7,523 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Hartford, CT. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Hartford to Houston guide.
- Best Houston to Hartford movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Houston to Hartford.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Houston to Hartford car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,751 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Houston to Hartford?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,300 - $4,998||$1,469 - $2,401||$1,149 - $1,486|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,460 - $7,523||$2,492 - $3,797||$1,200 - $1,733|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,481 - $11,220||$3,453 - $4,894||$1,501 - $2,083|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,751 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Houston to Hartford will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Houston to Hartford Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Houston to Hartford?
To ship furniture from Houston to Hartford with a mover will cost between $1,300 to $4,998. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,460 to $7,523, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Houston to Hartford will cost from $6,481 to $11,220.
How much are moving container companies from Houston to Hartford?
Moving containers from Houston to Hartford will cost you $1,469 to $2,401 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,492 to $3,797. A larger home will cost $3,453 to $4,894.
How much is a moving truck from Houston to Hartford?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,149 to $1,486. A larger move will cost $1,200 to $1,733, and a 4+ bedroom move from Houston to Hartford costs from $1,501 to $2,083.
How to ship a car from Houston to Hartford
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Houston to Hartford car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Houston, TX to Hartford, CT a good idea?
Cost of Living: Houston vs Hartford
|Average rent cost||$1,242||$1,200|
|Average home value||$243,875||$163,301|
|Average income (per capita)||$62,076||$68,210|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$838||$2,107|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,976||$5,749|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||6.99%|
- Rent Prices in Hartford, CT are 3% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Home Prices in Hartford, CT are 33.0% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Income in Hartford, CT is 9.9% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Hartford, CT is 151.4% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Hartford, CT is 93.2% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Hartford, CT is 191.67% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Hartford, CT are 23.03% lower than in Houston, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Hartford, CT are 6.99% higher than in Houston, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $-1,543.0 in Hartford to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Houston.
How is life different in Houston, TX to Hartford, CT?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||8||5|
|Bike friendliness score||54||49|
- Hartford’s population is about 95% less than Houston.
- Hartford’s public transportation is not as good as Houston with a score of 8 vs 5.
- Hartford is more walkable than Houston with a score of 67 vs 47.
- Hartford is more bike-friendly than Houston with a score of 54 vs 49.
- Hartford's crime rate is lower than Houston with a score of 7.0 compared to 55.87.
- Hartford is considered to be less safe than Houston with a score of 36.2 vs 36.23.
- Air Quality in Hartford is Moderate, and in Houston it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Hartford, CT
- Weather: June, August and September are the best months if you're considering to move to Hartford. Seasonally, the period from May through October is warm to hot in Hartford. Winters are cold, with periods of snow, while summers are warm to hot and humid. Spring and fall are normally transition seasons, with weather ranging from mild to cool..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CDOT) regulates in-state moving companies and taxi, trucking, and bus companies. In addition, customers are also protected from scam movers by regulations set forth by the Connecticut State Department of Consumer Protection. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Connecticut moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Connecticut does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Hartford. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Houston Movers
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
7935 Wright Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Hartford, CT
Now that you've decided to make the move to "New England's Rising Star", these are the best neighborhoods in Hartford to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Asylum Hill
- Rocky Hill
- Sheldon-Charter Oak
- East Windsor
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Glastonbury Center
- West Simsbury
What to do in Hartford
Moving to The “New England's Rising Star”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Connecticut home.
- The Mark Twain House & Museum
- Wadsworth Atheneum
- Connecticut Science Center
- State Capitol
- Elizabeth Park Rose Garden
- Bushnell Park & Carousel
- The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Center
- Connecticut Historical Society Museum
Get your sports on!Hartford is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Hartford Athletic (Soccer-USL Championship)
- Hartford Wolf Pack (Hockey-AHL)
- Hartford Yard Goats (Baseball-Eastern League)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Hartford
- New York City to Hartford
- Chicago to Hartford
- Houston to Hartford
- Phoenix to Hartford
- Philadelphia to Hartford
- San Antonio to Hartford
- San Diego to Hartford
- Dallas to Hartford
- San Jose to Hartford
Learn more about Hartford
- What Is The Cost To Move In Hartford?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Connecticut ?
- Best Moving Companies in Connecticut
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!