Moving from Dallas, TX to Indianapolis, IN: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Dallas, TX to Indianapolis, IN averages from $672 to $5,965 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Indianapolis, IN. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Indianapolis to Dallas guide.
- Best Dallas to Indianapolis movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Dallas to Indianapolis.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Dallas to Indianapolis car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 899 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Dallas to Indianapolis?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,202 - $4,501||$825 - $2,004||$623 - $1,177|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,446 - $5,965||$1,482 - $2,929||$672 - $1,398|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,103 - $8,061||$1,992 - $3,835||$843 - $1,699|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 899 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Dallas to Indianapolis will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Dallas to Indianapolis Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Dallas to Indianapolis?
To ship furniture from Dallas to Indianapolis with a mover will cost between $1,202 to $4,501. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,446 to $5,965, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Dallas to Indianapolis will cost from $4,103 to $8,061.
How much are moving container companies from Dallas to Indianapolis?
Moving containers from Dallas to Indianapolis will cost you $825 to $2,004 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,482 to $2,929. A larger home will cost $1,992 to $3,835.
How much is a moving truck from Dallas to Indianapolis?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $623 to $1,177. A larger move will cost $672 to $1,398, and a 4+ bedroom move from Dallas to Indianapolis costs from $843 to $1,699.
How to ship a car from Dallas to Indianapolis?
If you're moving from Dallas to Indianapolis and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Dallas to Indianapolis car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Dallas, TX to Indianapolis, IN a good idea?
Cost of Living: Dallas vs Indianapolis
|Average rent cost||$1,464||$975|
|Average home value||$293,549||$213,785|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,361||$49,661|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$936||$892|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,334||$3,139|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||3.23%|
- Rent Prices in Indianapolis, IN are 33% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Home Prices in Indianapolis, IN are 27.2% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Income in Indianapolis, IN is 19.1% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Indianapolis, IN is 4.7% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Indianapolis, IN is 5.8% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Indianapolis, IN is 66.67% higher than in Dallas, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Indianapolis, IN are 15.15% lower than in Dallas, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Indianapolis, IN are 3.23% higher than in Dallas, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,859.0 in Indianapolis to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Dallas.
How is life different in Dallas, TX to Indianapolis, IN?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||6|
|Bike friendliness score||43||49|
- Indianapolis’s population is about 32% less than Dallas.
- Indianapolis’s public transportation is better than Dallas with a score of 5 vs 6.
- Indianapolis is less walkable than Dallas with a score of 31 vs 46.
- Indianapolis is less bike-friendly than Dallas with a score of 43 vs 49.
- Indianapolis's crime rate is lower than Dallas with a score of 44.8 compared to 45.35.
- Indianapolis is considered to be less safe than Dallas with a score of 42.87 vs 49.82.
- Air Quality in Indianapolis is Good, and in Dallas it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Indianapolis, IN
- Weather: Indianapolis summers are hot, humid, and wet. Winters are generally cold with moderate snowfall. The rainiest months occur in the spring and summer, with slightly higher averages during May, June, and July. May is typically the wettest..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) regulate movers operating within Indiana and issue moving companies Indiana Households Goods Carriers Numbers. Check to make sure prospective movers have one and that it’s up to date. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Indiana moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Indiana does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Indianapolis. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Dallas Movers
|Get A Quote||
3736 Glencoe Street #1108,, Dallas, TX, 75206
|Firefighting's Finest Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2306 Sherwin St., Garland, TX, 75041
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
7055 John W. Carpenter Fwy,, Dallas, TX, 75247
Visit our Best Movers in Dallas page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Indianapolis, IN
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Amateur Sports Capital of the World", these are the best neighborhoods in Indianapolis to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Broad Ripple Village
- Fountain Square
- Mile Square
- Old Northside
Best neighborhoods for families:
What to do in Indianapolis
Moving to The “Amateur Sports Capital of the World”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Indiana home.
- Children's Museum of Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Zoo
- Freedom Springs Aquatic Park
- Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
- Go Ape Treetop Adventure
- Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Garfield Park Conservatory and Gardens
- The Hall of Fame Museum at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art
- Indiana Medical History Museum
- Indiana State Police Museum
- Canal Walk
- Soldiers and Sailors Monument
- Indiana War Memorial
- Indiana State Museum
- Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library
- Beer Mile Tour
- Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park
- White River State Park
- Oldfields-Lilly House and Gardens
Get your sports on!Indianapolis is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
- Indianapolis Pacers (NBA)
- Indianapolis Fever (WNBA)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Indianapolis
- New York City to Indianapolis
- Chicago to Indianapolis
- Phoenix to Indianapolis
- Philadelphia to Indianapolis
- San Diego to Indianapolis
- San Jose to Indianapolis
- Jacksonville to Indianapolis
- Columbus to Indianapolis
- Charlotte to Indianapolis