Quick Answer: The cost to move from Indianapolis, IN to Dallas, TX averages from $923 to $7,250 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Dallas, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best Indianapolis to Dallas movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Indianapolis to Dallas.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Indianapolis to Dallas car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 900 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Indianapolis to Dallas?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,425 - $5,800||$1,168 - $2,330||$877 - $1,212|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,020 - $7,250||$2,193 - $3,494||$923 - $1,424|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,950 - $9,500||$2,928 - $4,369||$1,168 - $1,705|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 900 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Indianapolis to Dallas will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Indianapolis to Dallas Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Safeway Moving Systems
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Air Van northAmerican Van Lines
Best for complex moves
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How to ship a car from Indianapolis to Dallas
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Indianapolis to Dallas car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||best for quick pick up||
Is moving from Indianapolis, IN to Dallas, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Indianapolis vs Dallas
|Average rent cost||$975||$1,464||50%|
|Average home value||$213,785||$293,549||37.3%|
|Average income (per capita)||$49,661||$61,361||23.6%|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$892||$936||4.9%|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,139||$3,334||6.2%|
|State Income Tax||3.23%||0.0%||-100.00%|
How is life different in Indianapolis, IN to Dallas, TX?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||5|
|Bike friendliness score||49||43|
Considerations for moving to Dallas, TX
- Weather: Although temperatures throughout the year are suitable for moving, rainfall is more frequent in May and October meaning your move could be slightly delayed. Spring is the time of year that tornados in Dallas are most likely..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: All moving companies in Texas are required to be licensed with the TXDMV Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Dallas. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. The Texas DMV requires auto insurance in the amount of $300,000, and cargo insurance in the amount of $5,000 for household movers.
Where to live in Dallas, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Big D", these are the best neighborhoods in Dallas to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Bishop Arts District
- Deep Ellum
- Design District
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Preston Hollow
- Lake Highlands
- Preston Highlands
- University Park
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Dallas
- New York City to Dallas
- Chicago to Dallas
- Phoenix to Dallas
- Philadelphia to Dallas
- San Diego to Dallas
- San Jose to Dallas
- Jacksonville to Dallas
- Columbus to Dallas
- Indianapolis to Dallas
Learn more about Dallas
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!