Moving from San Antonio, TX to Boston, MA: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Antonio, TX to Boston, MA averages from $1,314 to $7,534 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Boston, MA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Boston to San Antonio guide.
- Best San Antonio to Boston movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Antonio to Boston.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Antonio to Boston car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,042 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Antonio to Boston?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,300 - $5,024||$1,211 - $2,999||$1,214 - $2,342|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,473 - $7,534||$2,156 - $4,440||$1,314 - $2,787|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,508 - $11,280||$2,955 - $5,992||$1,658 - $3,414|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,042 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Antonio to Boston will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best San Antonio to Boston Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from San Antonio to Boston?
To ship furniture from San Antonio to Boston with a mover will cost between $1,300 to $5,024. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,473 to $7,534, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from San Antonio to Boston will cost from $6,508 to $11,280.
How much are moving container companies from San Antonio to Boston?
Moving containers from San Antonio to Boston will cost you $1,211 to $2,999 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,156 to $4,440. A larger home will cost $2,955 to $5,992.
How much is a moving truck from San Antonio to Boston?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,214 to $2,342. A larger move will cost $1,314 to $2,787, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Antonio to Boston costs from $1,658 to $3,414.
How to ship a car from San Antonio to Boston
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable San Antonio to Boston car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from San Antonio, TX to Boston, MA a good idea?
Cost of Living: San Antonio vs Boston
|Average rent cost||$1,083||$2,525|
|Average home value||$248,346||$718,756|
|Average income (per capita)||$56,076||$79,018|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$831||$1,159|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,883||$4,173|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||5.0%|
- Rent Prices in Boston, MA are 133% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Home Prices in Boston, MA are 189.4% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Income in Boston, MA is 40.9% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Boston, MA is 39.5% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Boston, MA is 44.7% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Boston, MA is 62.16% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Boston, MA are 24.24% lower than in San Antonio, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Boston, MA are 5.00% higher than in San Antonio, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $1,815.9 in Boston to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in San Antonio.
How is life different in San Antonio, TX to Boston, MA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||6|
|Bike friendliness score||86||45|
- Boston’s population is about 53% less than San Antonio.
- Boston’s public transportation is not as good as San Antonio with a score of 9 vs 6.
- Boston is more walkable than San Antonio with a score of 98 vs 37.
- Boston is more bike-friendly than San Antonio with a score of 86 vs 45.
- Boston's crime rate is lower than San Antonio with a score of 26.45 compared to 47.99.
- Boston is considered to be safer than San Antonio with a safety index of 62.78 vs 51.16.
- Air Quality in Boston is Good, and in San Antonio it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Boston, MA
- Weather: Boston summers are typically warm and humid, while winters are cold and stormy, with occasional periods of heavy snow. Spring and fall are usually cool to mild..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Moving companies in Massachusetts are required to obtain a license from the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities – Transportation Oversight Division to provide local and intrastate moving services in Massachusetts movers must carry adequate cargo insurance and publicly file their tariffs required to list the services they provide and the cost for each. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Massachusetts moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Massachusetts does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Boston. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local San Antonio Movers
|Get A Quote||
12634 Carriage Blvd, San Antonio, TX, 78249
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
302 Casa Blanca St, San Antonio, TX, 78215
|All My Sons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
10725 IH 35 North City,, San Antonio, TX, 78233
Visit our Best Movers in San Antonio page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Boston, MA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Athens of America", these are the best neighborhoods in Boston to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Back Bay-Beacon Hill
- East Boston
- Jamaica Plain
- South Boston
Best neighborhoods for families:
- East Boston
- Hyde Park
- West Roxbury
What to do in Boston
Moving to The “Athens of America”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Massachusetts home.
- South End
- Freedom Trail
- North End
- Fenway Park
- Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum
- Boston Public Library
- Back Bay
- Harvard Yard
- Boston Public Garden
- The ICA
Get your sports on!Boston is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Boston Red Sox (MLB)
- Boston Bruins (NHL)
- Boston Celtics (NBA)
- New England Patriots (NFL)
- New England Revolution (MLS)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Boston
- New York City to Boston
- Chicago to Boston
- Houston to Boston
- Phoenix to Boston
- Philadelphia to Boston
- San Antonio to Boston
- San Diego to Boston
- Dallas to Boston
- San Jose to Boston
Learn more about Boston
- What Is The Cost To Move In Boston?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Massachusetts?
- Best Moving Companies in Boston, MA
- Best Moving Companies in Massachusetts
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!