Moving from San Jose, CA to Chicago, IL: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Jose, CA to Chicago, IL averages from $1,384 to $7,595 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Chicago, IL. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Chicago to San Jose guide.
- Best San Jose to Chicago movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Jose to Chicago.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Jose to Chicago car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,165 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Jose to Chicago?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,301 - $5,156||$1,254 - $3,107||$1,278 - $2,468|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,541 - $7,595||$2,230 - $4,604||$1,384 - $2,938|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,644 - $11,577||$3,059 - $6,226||$1,747 - $3,601|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,165 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Jose to Chicago will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best San Jose to Chicago Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from San Jose to Chicago?
To ship furniture from San Jose to Chicago with a mover will cost between $1,301 to $5,156. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,541 to $7,595, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from San Jose to Chicago will cost from $6,644 to $11,577.
How much are moving container companies from San Jose to Chicago?
Moving containers from San Jose to Chicago will cost you $1,254 to $3,107 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,230 to $4,604. A larger home will cost $3,059 to $6,226.
How much is a moving truck from San Jose to Chicago?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,278 to $2,468. A larger move will cost $1,384 to $2,938, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Jose to Chicago costs from $1,747 to $3,601.
How to ship a car from San Jose to Chicago
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable San Jose to Chicago car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from San Jose, CA to Chicago, IL a good idea?
Cost of Living: San Jose vs Chicago
|Average rent cost||$2,500||$1,595|
|Average home value||$1,444,420||$306,098|
|Average income (per capita)||$75,709||$65,601|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,033||$1,001|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,704||$3,584|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||4.95%|
- Rent Prices in Chicago, IL are 36% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Home Prices in Chicago, IL are 78.8% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Income in Chicago, IL is 13.4% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Chicago, IL is 3.1% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Chicago, IL is 3.2% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Chicago, IL is 28.57% higher than in San Jose, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Chicago, IL are 9.28% higher than in San Jose, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Chicago, IL are 62.78% lower than in San Jose, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,907.1 in Chicago to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in San Jose.
How is life different in San Jose, CA to Chicago, IL?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||7|
|Bike friendliness score||72||62|
- Chicago’s population is about 171% greater than San Jose.
- Chicago’s public transportation is not as good as San Jose with a score of 9 vs 7.
- Chicago is more walkable than San Jose with a score of 77 vs 51.
- Chicago is more bike-friendly than San Jose with a score of 72 vs 62.
- Chicago's crime rate is higher than San Jose with a score of 35.19 compared to 28.18.
- Chicago is considered to be less safe than San Jose with a score of 33.87 vs 53.91.
- Air Quality in Chicago is Good, and in San Jose it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Chicago, IL
- Weather: Although Chicago gets less snowfall than surrounding areas in the Midwest and the Great Lakes region, heavy snowfall could still affect your move in the wintertime..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In Illinois, regulations on in-state moves and local movers are set forth by the Illinois Commerce Commission. To move household goods locally and intrastate, companies need to have a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity, so make sure the companies you’re considering have one and that it’s current. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Illinois moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Illinois does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Chicago. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local San Jose Movers
|Silicon Valley Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
186 Barnard Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125
|All Reasons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
600 E Trimble Rd, San Jose, CA, 95131
|Lunardi Moving||Get A Quote||
1856 Almaden Road Unit 3, San Jose, CA, 95125
Visit our Best Movers in San Jose page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Chicago, IL
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Chi-Town", these are the best neighborhoods in Chicago to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Lake View
- Lincoln Park
- The Loop
- Near North Side
- West Town
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Edison Park
- Lincoln Park
- North Center
- West Loop
What to do in Chicago
Moving to The “Chi-Town”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Illinois home.
- Millennium Park, Crown Fountain, and The Cloud Gate
- Navy Pier
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Buckingham Fountain
- Chicago Riverwalk and Lakefront Trail
- 360 Chicago and the John Hancock Center
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Field Museum
- The Magnificent Mile
- Willis Tower SkyDeck
- Garfield Park Conservatory
- Chicago Cultural Center
- Wrigley Field
- Chicago Pizza Tours
- Oz Park
- Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise
- Maggie Daley Park
- Woolly Mammoth Antiques and Oddities
- Shedd Aquarium
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Green Mill Jazz Club
- The Richard H. Driehaus Museum
- The Chicago Theatre
- The Second City
Get your sports on!Chicago is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Chicago Bears (NFL)
- Chicago Cubs (MLB)
- Chicago White Sox (MLB)
- Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
- Chicago Bulls (NBA)
- Chicago Fire (MLS)
- Chicago Sky (WNBA)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Chicago
- New York City to Chicago
- Houston to Chicago
- Phoenix to Chicago
- Philadelphia to Chicago
- San Antonio to Chicago
- San Diego to Chicago
- Dallas to Chicago
- San Jose to Chicago
- Austin to Chicago
Learn more about Chicago
- What Is The Cost To Move In Chicago?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Illinois?
- Who’s Moving Into and Out of Chicago?
- Chicago Nightlife: Living it Up in the Windy City
- Chicago, IL: Surrounding Suburbs Guide
- What’s the cost of living in Chicago, IL?
- Chicago, IL: Surrounding Neighborhood Guide
- Best Moving Companies in Chicago, IL
- Best Moving Companies in Illinois
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!