Moving from Los Angeles, CA to Albany, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Los Angeles, CA to Albany, NY averages from $1,747 to $8,141 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Albany, NY. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Albany to Los Angeles guide.
- Best Los Angeles to Albany movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Los Angeles to Albany.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Los Angeles to Albany car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,818 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Los Angeles to Albany?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,358 - $5,729||$1,472 - $3,669||$1,612 - $3,127|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,055 - $8,141||$2,611 - $5,457||$1,747 - $3,723|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,630 - $12,615||$3,603 - $7,445||$2,207 - $4,570|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,818 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Los Angeles to Albany will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Los Angeles to Albany Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Los Angeles to Albany?
To ship furniture from Los Angeles to Albany with a mover will cost between $1,358 to $5,729. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,055 to $8,141, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Los Angeles to Albany will cost from $7,630 to $12,615.
How much are moving container companies from Los Angeles to Albany?
Moving containers from Los Angeles to Albany will cost you $1,472 to $3,669 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,611 to $5,457. A larger home will cost $3,603 to $7,445.
How much is a moving truck from Los Angeles to Albany?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,612 to $3,127. A larger move will cost $1,747 to $3,723, and a 4+ bedroom move from Los Angeles to Albany costs from $2,207 to $4,570.
How to ship a car from Los Angeles to Albany?
If you're moving from Los Angeles to Albany and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Los Angeles to Albany car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Los Angeles, CA to Albany, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: Los Angeles vs Albany
|Average rent cost||$2,306||$1,125|
|Average home value||$2,110,111||$274,500|
|Average income (per capita)||$68,632||$63,475|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,060||$1,801|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,843||$4,205|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
- Rent Prices in Albany, NY are 51% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Home Prices in Albany, NY are 87.0% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Income in Albany, NY is 7.5% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Albany, NY is 69.9% higher than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Albany, NY is 9.4% higher than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Albany, NY is 35.45% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Albany, NY are 15.79% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Albany, NY are 18.05% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $902.8 in Albany to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Los Angeles.
How is life different in Los Angeles, CA to Albany, NY?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||8||8|
|Bike friendliness score||55||59|
- Albany’s population is about 99% less than Los Angeles.
- Albany’s public transportation has a similar score to Los Angeles.
- Albany is less walkable than Los Angeles with a score of 65 vs 69.
- Albany is less bike-friendly than Los Angeles with a score of 55 vs 59.
- Albany's crime rate is lower than Los Angeles with a score of 10.0 compared to 29.96.
- Albany is considered to be less safe than Los Angeles with a score of 49.65 vs 49.78.
- Air Quality in Albany is Good, and in Los Angeles it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Albany, NY
- Weather: August, June and July are the best months to consider moving into Albany as weather during these months are very favorable. During October to January, Albany experiences a cold weather where it can get snow and rain and could be colder than the rest of the New York States..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Albany. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Los Angeles Movers
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
355 S Grand Ave Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA, 90071
|ABC Moving Systems||Get A Quote||
11301 W Olympic Blvd #727, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
|Move Central Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2466 E 16th St, Los Angeles, CA, 90021
Visit our Best Movers in Los Angeles page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Albany, NY
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Smallbany", these are the best neighborhoods in Albany to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Center Square
- Hudson Park
- Park South
- Washington Park
- Historic Pastures
- Sheridan Hollow
- North Albany/Shaker Park
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Center Square
- Park South
- Hudson Park
- New Scotland/Woodlawn
- Union Street
- Buckingham Pond/Crestwood
What to do in Albany
Moving to The “Smallbany”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New York home.
- New York State Capitol
- Hudson River School Landscape Paintings
- New York State's History and Environment
- Washington Park
- Hudson River
- Historic Homes of Prominent 18th-Century Citizens
- Underground Railroad
- New York State Education Building
- The Egg
- Corning Tower
Get your sports on!Albany is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Albany Great Danes (America East)
- Saint Rose Golden Knights (NE-10)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Chicago to Albany
- Houston to Albany
- Phoenix to Albany
- Philadelphia to Albany
- San Antonio to Albany
- Dallas to Albany
- Austin to Albany
- Jacksonville to Albany
- Fort Worth to Albany
- Columbus to Albany