Moving from Jacksonville, FL to Jersey City, NJ: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Jacksonville, FL to Jersey City, NJ averages from $700 to $5,742 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Jersey City, NJ. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Jersey City to Jacksonville guide.
- Best Jacksonville to Jersey City movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Jacksonville to Jersey City.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Jacksonville to Jersey City car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 929 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Jacksonville to Jersey City?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,145 - $4,438||$842 - $2,047||$649 - $1,227|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,370 - $5,742||$1,510 - $2,995||$700 - $1,459|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,938 - $7,664||$2,034 - $3,929||$879 - $1,773|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 929 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Jacksonville to Jersey City will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Jacksonville to Jersey City Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Jacksonville to Jersey City?
To ship furniture from Jacksonville to Jersey City with a mover will cost between $1,145 to $4,438. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,370 to $5,742, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Jacksonville to Jersey City will cost from $3,938 to $7,664.
How much are moving container companies from Jacksonville to Jersey City?
Moving containers from Jacksonville to Jersey City will cost you $842 to $2,047 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,510 to $2,995. A larger home will cost $2,034 to $3,929.
How much is a moving truck from Jacksonville to Jersey City?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $649 to $1,227. A larger move will cost $700 to $1,459, and a 4+ bedroom move from Jacksonville to Jersey City costs from $879 to $1,773.
How to ship a car from Jacksonville to Jersey City?
If you're moving from Jacksonville to Jersey City and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Jacksonville to Jersey City car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Jacksonville, FL to Jersey City, NJ a good idea?
Cost of Living: Jacksonville vs Jersey City
|Average rent cost||$1,271||$3,300|
|Average home value||$279,696||$606,537|
|Average income (per capita)||$56,975||$72,743|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$914||$1,091|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,272||$4,028|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||10.75%|
- Rent Prices in Jersey City, NJ are 160% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Home Prices in Jersey City, NJ are 116.9% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Income in Jersey City, NJ is 27.7% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Jersey City, NJ is 19.4% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Jersey City, NJ is 23.1% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Unemployment rate in Jersey City, NJ is 66.00% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
- Sales Taxes in Jersey City, NJ are 11.60% lower than in Jacksonville, FL.
- State Income Taxes in Jersey City, NJ are 10.75% higher than in Jacksonville, FL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,419.0 in Jersey City to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Jacksonville.
How is life different in Jacksonville, FL to Jersey City, NJ?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||4|
|Bike friendliness score||64||41|
- Jersey City’s population is about 69% less than Jacksonville.
- Jersey City’s public transportation is not as good as Jacksonville with a score of 9 vs 4.
- Jersey City is more walkable than Jacksonville with a score of 87 vs 26.
- Jersey City is more bike-friendly than Jacksonville with a score of 64 vs 41.
- Jersey City's crime rate is lower than Jacksonville with a score of 34.0 compared to 34.87.
- Jersey City is considered to be safer than Jacksonville with a safety index of 56.04 vs 43.76.
- Air Quality in Jersey City is Moderate, and in Jacksonville it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Jersey City, NJ
- Weather: September, June and May are the best months in Jersey City, while January and February are the least comfortable months as these are the coldest. Plan your moves accordingly. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In New Jersey, the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs handles the regulation of in-state moving companies. The state’s Division of Consumer Affairs works to ensure that warehousemen (public storage companies) and public movers provide safe, reliable, and ethical services while adhering to all relevant state rules and regulations. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New Jersey moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New Jersey does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Jersey City. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Jacksonville Movers
|Get A Quote||
718 South 2nd Street, Jacksonville Beach, FL, 32250
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
9450 Philips Highway, Jacksonville, FL, 32256
|All My Sons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
6805-1 Stuart Ln S, Jacksonville, FL, 32254
Visit our Best Movers in Jacksonville page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Jersey City, NJ
Now that you've decided to make the move to "J.C.", these are the best neighborhoods in Jersey City to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Journal Square
- Mcginley Square
- The Heights
- The Waterfront
- Liberty Park
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Mcginley Square
- West Side
- Hackensack Waterfront
- Grove Street
What to do in Jersey City
Moving to The “J.C.”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New Jersey home.
- Liberty State Park
- Empty Sky - 9/11 Memorial
- Liberty Science Center
- Newport Centre
- Liberty Landing Marina
- J. Owen Grundy Park
- New Jersey Colgate Clock
- Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal
- The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre
- RPM Raceway
Get your sports on!Jersey City is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Saint Peter’s Peacocks (MAAC)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Jersey City
- New York City to Jersey City
- Chicago to Jersey City
- Houston to Jersey City
- Phoenix to Jersey City
- Philadelphia to Jersey City
- San Antonio to Jersey City
- San Diego to Jersey City
- Dallas to Jersey City
- San Jose to Jersey City