Moving from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL averages from $687 to $6,005 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Mobile, AL. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Mobile to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Mobile movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Mobile.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Mobile car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 920 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Mobile?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,204 - $4,587||$833 - $2,026||$636 - $1,202|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,470 - $6,005||$1,496 - $2,962||$687 - $1,429|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,123 - $8,064||$2,013 - $3,882||$861 - $1,736|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 920 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Mobile will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Mobile Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Mobile?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Mobile with a mover will cost between $1,204 to $4,587. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,470 to $6,005, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Mobile will cost from $4,123 to $8,064.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Mobile?
Moving containers from Chicago to Mobile will cost you $833 to $2,026 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,496 to $2,962. A larger home will cost $2,013 to $3,882.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Mobile?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $636 to $1,202. A larger move will cost $687 to $1,429, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Mobile costs from $861 to $1,736.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Mobile?
If you're moving from Chicago to Mobile and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Chicago to Mobile car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Mobile
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$913|
|Average home value||$306,098||$180,920|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$57,486|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$1,517|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$3,419|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||5.0%|
- Rent Prices in Mobile, AL are 43% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Mobile, AL are 40.9% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Mobile, AL is 12.4% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Mobile, AL is 51.5% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Mobile, AL is 4.6% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Mobile, AL is 31.11% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Mobile, AL are 2.44% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Mobile, AL are 1.01% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $1,453.5 in Mobile to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||3||9|
|Bike friendliness score||34||72|
- Mobile’s population is about 93% less than Chicago.
- Mobile’s public transportation is better than Chicago with a score of 3 vs 9.
- Mobile is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 32 vs 77.
- Mobile is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 34 vs 72.
- Mobile's crime rate is lower than Chicago with a score of 15.0 compared to 35.19.
- Mobile is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 34.51 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Mobile is Good, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Mobile, AL
- Weather: October, April and November are the most pleasant months in Mobile, so consider this in your plans in moving to Mobile City. Mobile City experiences extreme heat on summer and rainy days on winter. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: To ensure that in-state movers operate safely and reliably, moving companies in Alabama must have a registration number issued by the Alabama Public Service Commission (APSC). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Alabama moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Alabama does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Mobile. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Movers assume liability at 60 cents (or less) per-pound per item. Thus, a lightweight five-pound item valued at $500 only pays out $3, if it's lost or damaged. Some moving companies offer expanded valuations, such as declared value or lump sum value protection, which offers a step up from released value protection. You may inquire about these options with your preferred moving company.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Mobile, AL
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Port City", these are the best neighborhoods in Mobile to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Spanish Fort
- Point Clear
- Tillmans Corner
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Point Clear
What to do in Mobile
Moving to The “The Port City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Alabama home.
- Fort Conde
- Richards- DAR House
- USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park
- Mobile Museum of Art
- Mobile Bay
- Bellingrath Museum Home
- Mobile Opera
- Mobile Mardi Gras
- The Gulf Coast Explorium Science Center
- History Museum of Mobile
Get your sports on!Mobile is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- South Alabama Jaguars (Sun Belt)
- Spring Hill Badgers (SIAC)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Mobile
- New York City to Mobile
- Houston to Mobile
- Phoenix to Mobile
- Philadelphia to Mobile
- San Antonio to Mobile
- San Diego to Mobile
- Dallas to Mobile
- San Jose to Mobile
- Austin to Mobile