Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Montgomery, AL averages from $914 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Montgomery, AL. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Montgomery to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Montgomery movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Montgomery.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Montgomery car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 752 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Montgomery?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$1,026 - $2,039||$864 - $1,197|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$1,917 - $3,048||$914 - $1,411|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$2,545 - $3,787||$1,153 - $1,667|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 752 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Montgomery will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Montgomery Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Montgomery?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Montgomery with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Montgomery will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Montgomery?
Moving containers from Chicago to Montgomery will cost you $1,026 to $2,039 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,917 to $3,048. A larger home will cost $2,545 to $3,787.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Montgomery?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $864 to $1,197. A larger move will cost $914 to $1,411, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Montgomery costs from $1,153 to $1,667.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Montgomery
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Chicago to Montgomery car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Montgomery, AL a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Montgomery
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$675|
|Average home value||$306,098||$127,030|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$48,011|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$0|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$0|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||5.0%|
- Rent Prices in Montgomery, AL are 58% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Montgomery, AL are 58.5% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Montgomery, AL is 26.8% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Montgomery, AL is 100.0% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Montgomery, AL is 100.0% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Montgomery, AL is 33.33% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Montgomery, AL are 2.44% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Montgomery, AL are 1.01% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $0.0 in Montgomery to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Montgomery, AL?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||2||9|
|Bike friendliness score||33||72|
- Montgomery’s population is about 93% less than Chicago.
- Montgomery’s public transportation is not as good as Chicago with a score of 2 vs 9.
- Montgomery is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 26 vs 77.
- Montgomery is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 33 vs 72.
- Montgomery's crime rate is higher than Chicago with a score of 37.5 compared to 35.19.
- Montgomery is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 36.55 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Montgomery is Moderate, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Montgomery, AL
- Weather: Montgomery ith short, mild winters, warm springs and autumns, and long, hot, humid summers. Severe storms also bring a risk of tornadoes..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: To ensure that in-state movers operate safely and reliably, moving companies in Alabama must have a registration number issued by the Alabama Public Service Commission (APSC). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Alabama moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Alabama does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Montgomery. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Movers assume liability at 60 cents (or less) per-pound per item. Thus, a lightweight five-pound item valued at $500 only pays out $3, if it's lost or damaged. Some moving companies offer expanded valuations, such as declared value or lump sum value protection, which offers a step up from released value protection. You may inquire about these options with your preferred moving company.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Montgomery
Moving to The “Capital of the South”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Alabama home.
- Legacy Museum
- National Memorial for Peace and Justice
- Rosa Parks Library and Museum
- Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
- Civil Rights Memorial Center
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church
- First White House of the Confederacy
- Montgomery Zoo
- Hank Williams Memorial - Oakwood Annex Cemetery
- Alabama Department of Archives and History
Get your sports on!Montgomery is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Montgomery Biscuits (Double A)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Montgomery
- New York City to Montgomery
- Chicago to Montgomery
- Houston to Montgomery
- Phoenix to Montgomery
- Philadelphia to Montgomery
- San Antonio to Montgomery
- San Diego to Montgomery
- Dallas to Montgomery
- San Jose to Montgomery
Learn more about Montgomery
- What Is The Cost To Move In Montgomery?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Alabama?
- Best Moving Companies in Montgomery, AL
- Best Moving Companies in Alabama
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!