Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Greensboro, NC averages from $914 to $5,375 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Greensboro, NC. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Greensboro to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Greensboro movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Greensboro.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Greensboro car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 740 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Greensboro?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,174 - $3,213||$1,026 - $2,039||$864 - $1,197|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,083 - $5,375||$1,917 - $3,048||$914 - $1,411|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,788 - $8,020||$2,545 - $3,787||$1,153 - $1,667|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 740 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Greensboro will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Greensboro Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Greensboro?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Greensboro with a mover will cost between $1,174 to $3,213. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,083 to $5,375, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Greensboro will cost from $3,788 to $8,020.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Greensboro?
Moving containers from Chicago to Greensboro will cost you $1,026 to $2,039 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,917 to $3,048. A larger home will cost $2,545 to $3,787.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Greensboro?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $864 to $1,197. A larger move will cost $914 to $1,411, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Greensboro costs from $1,153 to $1,667.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Greensboro
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Chicago to Greensboro car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Greensboro, NC a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Greensboro
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$880|
|Average home value||$306,098||$218,809|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$57,714|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$930|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$3,306|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||5.25%|
- Rent Prices in Greensboro, NC are 45% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Greensboro, NC are 28.5% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Greensboro, NC is 12.0% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Greensboro, NC is 7.1% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Greensboro, NC is 7.8% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Greensboro, NC is 37.78% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Greensboro, NC are 34.15% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Greensboro, NC are 6.06% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,787.2 in Greensboro to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Greensboro, NC?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||3||9|
|Bike friendliness score||32||72|
- Greensboro’s population is about 89% less than Chicago.
- Greensboro’s public transportation is not as good as Chicago with a score of 3 vs 9.
- Greensboro is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 29 vs 77.
- Greensboro is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 32 vs 72.
- Greensboro's crime rate is higher than Chicago with a score of 45.46 compared to 35.19.
- Greensboro is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 56.64 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Greensboro is Good, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Greensboro, NC
- Weather: The climate in Greensboro is unlikely to affect your move. However, some days in the winter, the roads may become icy which causes traffic issues. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: For-profit household goods carriers in the state fall under the jurisdiction of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division. All legitimate movers should have a “C Number” issued by the commission, signifying that they’ve met minimum insurance requirements and adhere to the provisions outlined in the state’s Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a North Carolina moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: North Carolina does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Greensboro. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Greensboro
Moving to The “The Gate City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new North Carolina home.
- International Civil Rights Center & Museum
- Greensboro Science Center
- Tanger Family Bicentennial Garden
- Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
- The Bog Garden at Benjamin Park
- Greensboro History Museum
- The Greensboro Arboretum
- LeBauer Park
- Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe
- Greensboro Coliseum Complex
- Carolina Theatre
- Gateway Gardens
- Lake Brandt Marina
- BurMil Park
Get your sports on!Greensboro is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Greensboro Grasshoppers (Baseball)
- Greensboro Swarm (Basketball)
- Carolina Cobras (Indoor football)
- Carolina Dynamo (Soccer)
- Greensboro Roller Derby (Roller Derby)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Greensboro
- New York City to Greensboro
- Chicago to Greensboro
- Houston to Greensboro
- Phoenix to Greensboro
- Philadelphia to Greensboro
- San Antonio to Greensboro
- San Diego to Greensboro
- Dallas to Greensboro
- San Jose to Greensboro
Learn more about Greensboro
- What Is The Cost To Move In Greensboro?
- What Is The Cost To Move To North Carolina?
- Best Moving Companies in Greensboro, NC
- Best Moving Companies in North Carolina
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!