Moving from Washington DC, MD to Jacksonville, FL: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Washington DC, MD to Jacksonville, FL averages from $575 to $5,690 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Jacksonville, FL. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Jacksonville to Washington DC guide.
- Best Washington DC to Jacksonville movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Washington DC to Jacksonville.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Washington DC to Jacksonville car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 708 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Washington DC to Jacksonville?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,189 - $3,900||$766 - $1,853||$533 - $1,000|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,276 - $5,690||$1,379 - $2,700||$575 - $1,187|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,956 - $8,042||$1,845 - $3,507||$719 - $1,438|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 708 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Washington DC to Jacksonville will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Washington DC to Jacksonville Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Washington DC to Jacksonville?
To ship furniture from Washington DC to Jacksonville with a mover will cost between $1,189 to $3,900. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,276 to $5,690, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Washington DC to Jacksonville will cost from $3,956 to $8,042.
How much are moving container companies from Washington DC to Jacksonville?
Moving containers from Washington DC to Jacksonville will cost you $766 to $1,853 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,379 to $2,700. A larger home will cost $1,845 to $3,507.
How much is a moving truck from Washington DC to Jacksonville?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $533 to $1,000. A larger move will cost $575 to $1,187, and a 4+ bedroom move from Washington DC to Jacksonville costs from $719 to $1,438.
How to ship a car from Washington DC to Jacksonville
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Washington DC to Jacksonville car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Washington DC, MD to Jacksonville, FL a good idea?
Cost of Living: Washington DC vs Jacksonville
|Average rent cost||$2,250||$1,271|
|Average home value||$703,253||$279,696|
|Average income (per capita)||$92,266||$56,975|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,211||$914|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$4,423||$3,272|
|State Income Tax||5.75%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Jacksonville, FL are 44% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Home Prices in Jacksonville, FL are 60.2% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Income in Jacksonville, FL is 38.2% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Jacksonville, FL is 24.5% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Cost of Living for a family in Jacksonville, FL is 26.0% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Unemployment rate in Jacksonville, FL is 28.57% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
- Sales Taxes in Jacksonville, FL are 25.00% higher than in Washington DC, MD.
- State Income Taxes in Jacksonville, FL are 100.00% lower than in Washington DC, MD.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,264.2 in Jacksonville to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Washington DC.
How is life different in Washington DC, MD to Jacksonville, FL?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||4||9|
|Bike friendliness score||41||70|
- Jacksonville’s population is about 38% greater than Washington DC.
- Jacksonville’s public transportation is not as good as Washington DC with a score of 4 vs 9.
- Jacksonville is less walkable than Washington DC with a score of 26 vs 77.
- Jacksonville is less bike-friendly than Washington DC with a score of 41 vs 70.
- Jacksonville's crime rate is lower than Washington DC with a score of 34.87 compared to 46.45.
- Jacksonville is considered to be safer than Washington DC with a safety index of 43.76 vs 41.16.
- Air Quality in Jacksonville is Good, and in Washington DC it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Jacksonville, FL
- Weather: Jacksonville has hot humid summers, and warm to mild and drier winters. Seasonal rainfall is concentrated in the warmest months from May through September, when brief but intense downpours with thunder and lightning are common, while the driest months are from November through April. Be sure to check your weather app to avoid rain during your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Individuals and companies engaging in for-profit local and intrastate moving within the Sunshine State must register each year with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Division of Consumer Services. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Florida moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Florida does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Jacksonville. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Washington DC Movers
|Get A Quote||
1 Thomas Circle NW #700, Washington D.C, DC, 20005
|Zip Moving And Storage, Inc.||Get A Quote||
8705 Grovemont Cir, Gaithersburg, MD, 20877
|Olympia Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
4814 Frolich Ln, Hyattsville, MD, 20781
Visit our Best Movers in Washington DC page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Jacksonville, FL
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Jax", these are the best neighborhoods in Jacksonville to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Secret Cove
- South Riverside
- Windy Hill
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Beacon Hills & Harbour
- Orange Park
- Ortega Forest
What to do in Jacksonville
Moving to The “Jax”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Florida home.
- Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
- Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
- Museum of Science and History
- Friendship Fountain
- Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Adventure Landing: Jacksonville Beach
- Little Talbot Island State Park
- Downtown Jacksonville
- Ritz Theater and Museum
Get your sports on!Jacksonville is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Jacksonville
- New York City to Jacksonville
- Chicago to Jacksonville
- Houston to Jacksonville
- Phoenix to Jacksonville
- Philadelphia to Jacksonville
- San Antonio to Jacksonville
- San Diego to Jacksonville
- Dallas to Jacksonville
- San Jose to Jacksonville
Learn more about Jacksonville
- What Is The Cost To Move In Jacksonville?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Florida?
- Tips on Moving to Jacksonville, FL: Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in Jacksonville, FL
- Best Moving Companies in Florida
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!