Moving from Durham, NC to Dallas, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Durham, NC to Dallas, TX averages from $826 to $6,367 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Dallas, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Dallas to Durham guide.
- Best Durham to Dallas movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Durham to Dallas.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Durham to Dallas car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,163 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Durham to Dallas?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,225 - $4,940||$917 - $2,241||$764 - $1,455|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,701 - $6,367||$1,642 - $3,290||$826 - $1,731|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,548 - $8,547||$2,222 - $4,351||$1,038 - $2,109|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,163 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Durham to Dallas will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Durham to Dallas Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Durham to Dallas?
To ship furniture from Durham to Dallas with a mover will cost between $1,225 to $4,940. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,701 to $6,367, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Durham to Dallas will cost from $4,548 to $8,547.
How much are moving container companies from Durham to Dallas?
Moving containers from Durham to Dallas will cost you $917 to $2,241 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,642 to $3,290. A larger home will cost $2,222 to $4,351.
How much is a moving truck from Durham to Dallas?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $764 to $1,455. A larger move will cost $826 to $1,731, and a 4+ bedroom move from Durham to Dallas costs from $1,038 to $2,109.
How to ship a car from Durham to Dallas
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Durham to Dallas car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Durham, NC to Dallas, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Durham vs Dallas
|Average rent cost||$1,150||$1,464|
|Average home value||$370,805||$293,549|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,220||$61,361|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$928||$936|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,372||$3,334|
|State Income Tax||5.25%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Dallas, TX are 27% higher than in Durham, NC.
- Home Prices in Dallas, TX are 20.8% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Income is the same in Dallas, TX and Durham, NC.
- Cost of Living for a single person is the same in Dallas, TX and Durham, NC.
- Cost of Living for a family in Dallas, TX is 1.1% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Unemployment rate in Dallas, TX is 12.20% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Sales Taxes in Dallas, TX are 10.00% higher than in Durham, NC.
- State Income Taxes in Dallas, TX are 100.00% lower than in Durham, NC.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,974.1 in Dallas to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Durham.
How is life different in Durham, NC to Dallas, TX?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||4|
|Bike friendliness score||49||38|
- Dallas’s population is about 360% greater than Durham.
- Dallas’s public transportation is not as good as Durham with a score of 6 vs 4.
- Dallas is more walkable than Durham with a score of 46 vs 30.
- Dallas is more bike-friendly than Durham with a score of 49 vs 38.
- Dallas's crime rate is lower than Durham with a score of 45.35 compared to 47.6.
- Dallas is considered to be safer than Durham with a safety index of 49.82 vs 45.44.
- Air Quality in Dallas is Good, and in Durham it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Dallas, TX
- Weather: Although temperatures throughout the year are suitable for moving, rainfall is more frequent in May and October meaning your move could be slightly delayed. Spring is the time of year that tornados in Dallas are most likely..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Dallas. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Durham Movers
|Get A Quote||
1 Whitford Dr,, Durham, NC, 27705
|Truckin' Movers Corporation||Get A Quote||
1031 Harvest St, Durham, NC, 27704
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
1816 S Briggs Ave, Durham, NC, 27703
Visit our Best Movers in Durham page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Dallas, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Big D", these are the best neighborhoods in Dallas to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Bishop Arts District
- Deep Ellum
- Design District
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Preston Hollow
- Lake Highlands
- Preston Highlands
- University Park
What to do in Dallas
Moving to The “Big D”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Texas home.
- The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
- Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
- Reunion Tower
- The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum
- Perot Museum of Nature and Science
- Dallas Museum of Art
- Dallas Cattle Drive Sculptures
- Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District
- Klyde Warren Park
- The Dallas World Aquarium
- Bishop Arts District
- White Rock Lake Park
- Deep Ellum (Deep Elm)
- American Airlines Center
- Dallas Zoo
Get your sports on!Dallas is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Texas Rangers (MLB)
- Dallas Cowboys (NFL)
- Dallas Stars (NHL)
- Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
- FC Dallas (MLS)
- Dallas Wings (WNBA)
- Dallas Rattlers (MLL)
- Frisco Fighters (IFL)
- Dallas Jackals (MLR)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Dallas
- New York City to Dallas
- Chicago to Dallas
- Phoenix to Dallas
- Philadelphia to Dallas
- San Diego to Dallas
- San Jose to Dallas
- Jacksonville to Dallas
- Columbus to Dallas
- Indianapolis to Dallas
Learn more about Dallas
- What Is The Cost To Move In Dallas?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Texas?
- Best Moving Companies in Dallas, TX
- Best Moving Companies in Texas
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!