Moving from Durham, NC to San Antonio, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Durham, NC to San Antonio, TX averages from $938 to $6,639 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to San Antonio, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from San Antonio to Durham guide.
- Best Durham to San Antonio movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Durham to San Antonio.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Durham to San Antonio car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,372 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Durham to San Antonio?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,242 - $4,954||$984 - $2,415||$867 - $1,658|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,880 - $6,639||$1,760 - $3,553||$938 - $1,972|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,004 - $9,176||$2,389 - $4,726||$1,180 - $2,407|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,372 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Durham to San Antonio will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Durham to San Antonio Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Durham to San Antonio?
To ship furniture from Durham to San Antonio with a mover will cost between $1,242 to $4,954. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,880 to $6,639, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Durham to San Antonio will cost from $5,004 to $9,176.
How much are moving container companies from Durham to San Antonio?
Moving containers from Durham to San Antonio will cost you $984 to $2,415 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,760 to $3,553. A larger home will cost $2,389 to $4,726.
How much is a moving truck from Durham to San Antonio?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $867 to $1,658. A larger move will cost $938 to $1,972, and a 4+ bedroom move from Durham to San Antonio costs from $1,180 to $2,407.
How to ship a car from Durham to San Antonio
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Durham to San Antonio car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Durham, NC to San Antonio, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Durham vs San Antonio
|Average rent cost||$1,150||$1,083|
|Average home value||$370,805||$248,346|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,220||$56,076|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$928||$831|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,372||$2,883|
|State Income Tax||5.25%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in San Antonio, TX are 6% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Home Prices in San Antonio, TX are 33.0% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Income in San Antonio, TX is 8.4% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Cost of Living for a single person in San Antonio, TX is 10.5% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Cost of Living for a family in San Antonio, TX is 14.5% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Unemployment rate in San Antonio, TX is 9.76% lower than in Durham, NC.
- Sales Taxes in San Antonio, TX are 10.00% higher than in Durham, NC.
- State Income Taxes in San Antonio, TX are 100.00% lower than in Durham, NC.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,686.4 in San Antonio to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Durham.
How is life different in Durham, NC to San Antonio, TX?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||6||4|
|Bike friendliness score||45||38|
- San Antonio’s population is about 406% greater than Durham.
- San Antonio’s public transportation is not as good as Durham with a score of 6 vs 4.
- San Antonio is more walkable than Durham with a score of 37 vs 30.
- San Antonio is more bike-friendly than Durham with a score of 45 vs 38.
- San Antonio's crime rate is higher than Durham with a score of 47.99 compared to 47.6.
- San Antonio is considered to be safer than Durham with a safety index of 51.16 vs 45.44.
- Air Quality in San Antonio is Moderate, and in Durham it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to San Antonio, TX
- Weather: San Antonio has mild winters and hot summers, the rainiest months are typically May, June, and October so your move may be affected in these months..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to San Antonio. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Durham Movers
|Get A Quote||
1 Whitford Dr,, Durham, NC, 27705
|Truckin' Movers Corporation||Get A Quote||
1031 Harvest St, Durham, NC, 27704
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
1816 S Briggs Ave, Durham, NC, 27703
Visit our Best Movers in Durham page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in San Antonio, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Alamo City", these are the best neighborhoods in San Antonio to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Alamo Heights
- Tobin Hill
- Monte Vista
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Alamo Heights
- Great Northwest
- Northwest Crossing
- Oak Park-Northwood
- Terrell Hills
What to do in San Antonio
Moving to The “Alamo City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Texas home.
- San Antonio River Walk
- Natural Bridge Caverns
- The Alamo
- Japanese Tea Gardens
- Mission San Jose
- San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
- San Antonio Botanical Garden
- San Antonio Zoo
- Witte Museum
- San Fernando De Bexar Cathedral
- Mission Trail
- Tower of the Americas
- San Antonio Aquarium
- King William Historic District
Get your sports on!San Antonio is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- UTSA Roadrunners American football
- San Antonio Spurs Basketball
- San Antonio Missions
- San Antonio FC
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to San Antonio
- New York City to San Antonio
- Chicago to San Antonio
- Phoenix to San Antonio
- Philadelphia to San Antonio
- San Diego to San Antonio
- San Jose to San Antonio
- Jacksonville to San Antonio
- Columbus to San Antonio
- Indianapolis to San Antonio
Learn more about San Antonio
- What Is The Cost To Move In San Antonio?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Texas?
- What’s the cost of living in San Antonio, TX?
- San Antonio, TX: Surrounding Neighborhoods Guide
- Tips on Moving to San Antonio, TX: Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in San Antonio, TX
- Best Moving Companies in Texas
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!