Quick Answer: The cost to move from Philadelphia, PA to Bakersfield, CA averages from $2,182 to $7,982 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Bakersfield, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Bakersfield to Philadelphia guide.
- Best Philadelphia to Bakersfield movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Philadelphia to Bakersfield.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Philadelphia to Bakersfield car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,726 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Philadelphia to Bakersfield?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,332 - $5,617||$2,004 - $3,432||$2,014 - $2,651|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,975 - $7,982||$3,525 - $5,364||$2,182 - $3,155|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,480 - $12,368||$4,874 - $6,910||$2,784 - $3,876|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,726 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Philadelphia to Bakersfield will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Philadelphia to Bakersfield?
To ship furniture from Philadelphia to Bakersfield with a mover will cost between $1,332 to $5,617. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,975 to $7,982, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Philadelphia to Bakersfield will cost from $7,480 to $12,368.
How much are moving container companies from Philadelphia to Bakersfield?
Moving containers from Philadelphia to Bakersfield will cost you $2,004 to $3,432 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $3,525 to $5,364. A larger home will cost $4,874 to $6,910.
How much is a moving truck from Philadelphia to Bakersfield?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $2,014 to $2,651. A larger move will cost $2,182 to $3,155, and a 4+ bedroom move from Philadelphia to Bakersfield costs from $2,784 to $3,876.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Philadelphia to Bakersfield Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
Local Philadelphia Movers
|Get A Quote||
230 S Broad St, Philadelphia, PA, 19102
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
1450 S Warfield Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19146
|EverSafe Moving Co.||Get A Quote||
8701 Torresdale Ave., Philadelphia, PA, 19136
Visit our Best Movers in Philadelphia page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
How to ship a car from Philadelphia to Bakersfield
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Philadelphia to Bakersfield car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
|Best Overall Value||Best Insurance Coverage||Best for Quick Pick Up||Best for accurate pricing||Best auto transport marketplace|
|(224) 206-5633||(866) 563-0804||(888) 259-6046||(833) 775-1461|
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Philadelphia, PA to Bakersfield, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Philadelphia vs Bakersfield
|Average rent cost||$1,400||$1,125|
|Average home value||$227,569||$368,025|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,077||$62,402|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,068||$0|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,813||$0|
|State Income Tax||3.07%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in Bakersfield, CA are 20% lower than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Home Prices in Bakersfield, CA are 61.7% higher than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Income in Bakersfield, CA is 4.1% lower than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Bakersfield, CA is 100.0% lower than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Bakersfield, CA is 100.0% lower than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Unemployment rate in Bakersfield, CA is 27.27% lower than in Philadelphia, PA.
- Sales Taxes in Bakersfield, CA are 3.13% higher than in Philadelphia, PA.
- State Income Taxes in Bakersfield, CA are 333.22% higher than in Philadelphia, PA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $0.0 in Bakersfield to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Philadelphia.
How is life different in Philadelphia, PA to Bakersfield, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||4||9|
|Bike friendliness score||44||67|
- Bakersfield’s population is about 75% less than Philadelphia.
- Bakersfield’s public transportation is not as good as Philadelphia with a score of 4 vs 9.
- Bakersfield is less walkable than Philadelphia with a score of 37 vs 75.
- Bakersfield is less bike-friendly than Philadelphia with a score of 44 vs 67.
- Bakersfield's crime rate is higher than Philadelphia with a score of 44.33 compared to 39.3.
- Bakersfield is considered to be safer than Philadelphia with a safety index of 42.86 vs 37.1.
- Air Quality in Bakersfield is Moderate, and in Philadelphia it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Bakersfield, CA
- Weather: Bakersfield has very hot, dry summers, and winters that consist of mild days with chilly/cold nights. Check your weather app before your move to avoid extreme heat..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Bakersfield. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
What to do in
Moving to The “California's Country Music Capital”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- California Area Living Museum (CALM)
- Buck Owens' Crystal Palace
- Kern County Museum
- Murray Family Farms, The Big Red Barn
- The Park at River Walk
- Fox Theater
- Buena Vista Museum of Natural History
- Peacocks at Hart Park
- Kern County Raceway Park
- Rabobank Arena, Theater & Convention Center
- Kern River Parkway Trail
- Bakersfield Museum of Art
- The Great Central Valley
- The Gaslight Theatre & Music Hall
Get your sports on!Bakersfield is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Bakersfield Condors (AHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Bakersfield
- Chicago to Bakersfield
- Houston to Bakersfield
- Phoenix to Bakersfield
- Philadelphia to Bakersfield
- San Antonio to Bakersfield
- Dallas to Bakersfield
- Austin to Bakersfield
- Jacksonville to Bakersfield
- Fort Worth to Bakersfield
Learn more about Bakersfield
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!