Quick Answer: The cost to move from Houston, TX to Philadelphia, PA averages from $1,142 to $6,843 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Philadelphia, PA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Philadelphia to Houston guide.
- Best Houston to Philadelphia movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Houston to Philadelphia.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Houston to Philadelphia car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,547 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Houston to Philadelphia?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,255 - $4,964||$1,314 - $2,429||$1,093 - $1,509|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,013 - $6,843||$2,442 - $3,650||$1,142 - $1,763|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,344 - $9,648||$3,273 - $4,573||$1,444 - $2,121|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,547 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Houston to Philadelphia will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Houston to Philadelphia Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Houston to Philadelphia?
To ship furniture from Houston to Philadelphia with a mover will cost between $1,255 to $4,964. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,013 to $6,843, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Houston to Philadelphia will cost from $5,344 to $9,648.
How much are moving container companies from Houston to Philadelphia?
Moving containers from Houston to Philadelphia will cost you $1,314 to $2,429 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,442 to $3,650. A larger home will cost $3,273 to $4,573.
How much is a moving truck from Houston to Philadelphia?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,093 to $1,509. A larger move will cost $1,142 to $1,763, and a 4+ bedroom move from Houston to Philadelphia costs from $1,444 to $2,121.
How to ship a car from Houston to Philadelphia
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Houston to Philadelphia car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Houston, TX to Philadelphia, PA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Houston vs Philadelphia
|Average rent cost||$1,242||$1,400|
|Average home value||$243,875||$227,569|
|Average income (per capita)||$62,076||$65,077|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$838||$1,068|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,976||$3,813|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||3.07%|
- Rent Prices in Philadelphia, PA are 13% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Home Prices in Philadelphia, PA are 6.7% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Income in Philadelphia, PA is 4.8% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Philadelphia, PA is 27.4% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Philadelphia, PA is 28.1% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Philadelphia, PA is 129.17% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Philadelphia, PA are 3.03% lower than in Houston, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Philadelphia, PA are 3.07% higher than in Houston, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,176.6 in Philadelphia to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Houston.
How is life different in Houston, TX to Philadelphia, PA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||9||5|
|Bike friendliness score||67||49|
- Philadelphia’s population is about 30% less than Houston.
- Philadelphia’s public transportation is not as good as Houston with a score of 9 vs 5.
- Philadelphia is more walkable than Houston with a score of 75 vs 47.
- Philadelphia is more bike-friendly than Houston with a score of 67 vs 49.
- Philadelphia's crime rate is lower than Houston with a score of 39.3 compared to 55.87.
- Philadelphia is considered to be safer than Houston with a safety index of 37.1 vs 36.23.
- Air Quality in Philadelphia is Good, and in Houston it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Philadelphia, PA
- Weather: Philadelphia has hot and muggy summers and the fall and spring are generally mild, and winter is moderately cold. If you are planning a summer move make sure to check the weather to avoid overall humid and hot days,.
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: For decades movers In Pennsylvania were regulated by the Public Utility Commission (PUC). Each company was issued a PUC Number and was required to abide by a universal publicly published tariff that established the rates movers could charge for various services. Now, some sources claim that the PUC no longer regulates in-state movers, and it appears as though the PUC’s website is no longer functioning. So if you’re moving within Pennsylvania, you’ll want to address these issues with your moving company representative and if possible, contact the state directly. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Pennsylvania moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Pennsylvania does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Philadelphia. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Houston Movers
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
7935 Wright Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Philadelphia, PA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Philly", these are the best neighborhoods in Philadelphia to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Cedar Park
- Point Breeze
- Washington Square West
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Bella Vista
- Chestnut Hill
- Fitler Square/Rittenhouse Square (City Center West)
What to do in Philadelphia
Moving to The “Philly”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Pennsylvania home.
- Independence National Historical Park
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- Philadelphia Zoo
- Reading Terminal Market
- Please Touch Museum
- Betsy Ross House
- Franklin Square
- Center City Shopping and LOVE Park
- UPenn (The University of Pennsylvania)
- South Street
- Philadelphia Magic Gardens
- Philadelphia Sports Tailgate
- Italian Market
- Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest and Winterfest
- Barnes Foundation
- Spruce Street Harbor Park
- The Franklin Institute
- Mutter Museum
- Chestnut Hill
- Frankford Ave/Fishtown
Get your sports on!Philadelphia is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
- Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
- Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
- Philadelphia Phillies (MLB)
- Philadelphia Union (MLS)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Philadelphia
- New York City to Philadelphia
- Chicago to Philadelphia
- Houston to Philadelphia
- Phoenix to Philadelphia
- San Antonio to Philadelphia
- San Diego to Philadelphia
- Dallas to Philadelphia
- San Jose to Philadelphia
- Austin to Philadelphia
Learn more about Philadelphia
- What Is The Cost To Move In Philadelphia?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Pennsylvania?
- Who’s Moving Into and Out of Philadelphia?
- Philadelphia Neighborhood Guide
- 40 Lesser-Known Things To Do In Philadelphia
- What is the cost of living in Philadelphia, PA?
- Is Moving to Philadelphia Worth It?
- Best Moving Companies in Philadelphia, PA
- Best Moving Companies in Pennsylvania
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!