Quick Answer: The cost to move from Houston, TX to Milwaukee, WI averages from $1,107 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Milwaukee, WI. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Milwaukee to Houston guide.
- Best Houston to Milwaukee movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Houston to Milwaukee.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Houston to Milwaukee car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,150 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Houston to Milwaukee?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$1,214 - $2,273||$1,056 - $1,459|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$2,286 - $3,410||$1,107 - $1,706|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$3,054 - $4,265||$1,386 - $2,036|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,150 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Houston to Milwaukee will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Houston to Milwaukee Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Houston to Milwaukee?
To ship furniture from Houston to Milwaukee with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Houston to Milwaukee will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from Houston to Milwaukee?
Moving containers from Houston to Milwaukee will cost you $1,214 to $2,273 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,286 to $3,410. A larger home will cost $3,054 to $4,265.
How much is a moving truck from Houston to Milwaukee?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,056 to $1,459. A larger move will cost $1,107 to $1,706, and a 4+ bedroom move from Houston to Milwaukee costs from $1,386 to $2,036.
How to ship a car from Houston to Milwaukee
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Houston to Milwaukee car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Houston, TX to Milwaukee, WI a good idea?
Cost of Living: Houston vs Milwaukee
|Average rent cost||$1,242||$899|
|Average home value||$243,875||$175,763|
|Average income (per capita)||$62,076||$44,192|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$838||$894|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,976||$3,141|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||7.65%|
- Rent Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 28% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Home Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 27.9% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Income in Milwaukee, WI is 28.8% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Milwaukee, WI is 6.7% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Milwaukee, WI is 5.5% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Milwaukee, WI is 45.83% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Milwaukee, WI are 33.33% lower than in Houston, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Milwaukee, WI are 7.65% higher than in Houston, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,799.5 in Milwaukee to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Houston.
How is life different in Houston, TX to Milwaukee, WI?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||8||5|
|Bike friendliness score||58||49|
- Milwaukee’s population is about 75% less than Houston.
- Milwaukee’s public transportation is not as good as Houston with a score of 8 vs 5.
- Milwaukee is more walkable than Houston with a score of 62 vs 47.
- Milwaukee is more bike-friendly than Houston with a score of 58 vs 49.
- Milwaukee's crime rate is lower than Houston with a score of 45.22 compared to 55.87.
- Milwaukee is considered to be less safe than Houston with a score of 33.79 vs 36.23.
- Air Quality in Milwaukee is Moderate, and in Houston it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Milwaukee, WI
- Weather: Milwaukee's location in the Great Lakes Region often has rapidly changing weather, producing a humid continental climate, with cold, snowy winters, and hot, humid summers. Thunderstorms in the region can be dangerous and damaging, bringing hail and high winds. In rare instances, they can bring a tornado. Be sure to check your weather app to avoid inclement weather during your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Movers providing in-state relocation services in the Badger State must register with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), but strictly speaking, it’s not a regulated state. However, movers must comply with individual insurance, licensing, and other state laws and regulations. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Wisconsin moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Wisconsin does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Milwaukee. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Houston Movers
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
7935 Wright Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Milwaukee, WI
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Brew City", these are the best neighborhoods in Milwaukee to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Bay View
- Brewer’s Hill
- Historic Third Ward
- Lower East Side
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Bay View
- Historic Third Ward
- Juneau Town
- Lower East Side
What to do in Milwaukee
Moving to The “Brew City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Wisconsin home.
- Harley Davidson Museum
- The Milwaukee Art Museum
- Miller Park
- The Domes: Mitchell Park Conservatory
- Milwaukee County Zoo
- Basilica of St. Josaphat
- Historic Third Ward
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- Pabst Mansion
- Discovery World
Get your sports on!Milwaukee is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Milwaukee Bucks (NBA)
- Milwaukee Brewers (MLB)
- Marquette Golden Eagles (NCAA)
- Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Milwaukee
- New York City to Milwaukee
- Chicago to Milwaukee
- Houston to Milwaukee
- Phoenix to Milwaukee
- Philadelphia to Milwaukee
- San Antonio to Milwaukee
- San Diego to Milwaukee
- Dallas to Milwaukee
- San Jose to Milwaukee
Learn more about Milwaukee
- What Is The Cost To Move In Milwaukee?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Wisconsin?
- Tips On Moving To Milwaukee, WI: Ultimate Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in Milwaukee, WI
- Best Moving Companies in Wisconsin
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!