Moving from Chicago, IL to Fresno, CA: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Fresno, CA averages from $1,370 to $7,583 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Fresno, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Fresno to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Fresno movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Fresno.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Fresno car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,140 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Fresno?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,301 - $5,130||$1,245 - $3,086||$1,266 - $2,443|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,528 - $7,583||$2,215 - $4,570||$1,370 - $2,908|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,617 - $11,518||$3,038 - $6,180||$1,729 - $3,563|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,140 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Fresno will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Fresno Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Fresno?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Fresno with a mover will cost between $1,301 to $5,130. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,528 to $7,583, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Fresno will cost from $6,617 to $11,518.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Fresno?
Moving containers from Chicago to Fresno will cost you $1,245 to $3,086 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,215 to $4,570. A larger home will cost $3,038 to $6,180.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Fresno?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,266 to $2,443. A larger move will cost $1,370 to $2,908, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Fresno costs from $1,729 to $3,563.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Fresno?
If you're moving from Chicago to Fresno and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Chicago to Fresno car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Fresno, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Fresno
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$1,440|
|Average home value||$306,098||$365,650|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$53,161|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$916|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$3,181|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in Fresno, CA are 10% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Fresno, CA are 19.5% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Fresno, CA is 19.0% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Fresno, CA is 8.5% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Fresno, CA is 11.2% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Fresno, CA is 11.11% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Fresno, CA are 22.15% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Fresno, CA are 168.69% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,745.3 in Fresno to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Fresno, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||9|
|Bike friendliness score||58||72|
- Fresno’s population is about 80% less than Chicago.
- Fresno’s public transportation is better than Chicago with a score of 5 vs 9.
- Fresno is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 47 vs 77.
- Fresno is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 58 vs 72.
- Fresno's crime rate is higher than Chicago with a score of 37.69 compared to 35.19.
- Fresno is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 49.51 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Fresno is Good, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Fresno, CA
- Weather: Fresno has mild, wet winters and very long, hot, dry summers..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Fresno. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Fresno, CA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "", these are the best neighborhoods in Fresno to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Tower District
- Mural District
- Central Fresno
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Woodrow Park
- Fig Garden
What to do in Fresno
Moving to The “”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Rotary Storyland and Playland
- Fashion Fair Mall
- Legion of Valor Museum
- Saint Jon the Baptist Catherdral
- Blackbeard's Family Entertainment Center
- Roger Rocka's Dinner Theatre
- Fac Water Tower
- Fresno County Blossom Trail
Get your sports on!Fresno is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Fresno Grizzlies (Low-A West)
- Fresno Monsters (Premier Hockey League)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Fresno
- Houston to Fresno
- Phoenix to Fresno
- Philadelphia to Fresno
- San Antonio to Fresno
- Dallas to Fresno
- Austin to Fresno
- Jacksonville to Fresno
- Fort Worth to Fresno
- Columbus to Fresno