Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Charleston, WV averages from $630 to $5,375 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Charleston, WV. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Charleston to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Charleston movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Charleston.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Charleston car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 491 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Charleston?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,174 - $3,213||$848 - $1,674||$597 - $826|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,083 - $5,375||$1,574 - $2,492||$630 - $972|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,788 - $8,020||$2,068 - $3,062||$760 - $1,150|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 491 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Charleston will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Charleston Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Charleston?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Charleston with a mover will cost between $1,174 to $3,213. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,083 to $5,375, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Charleston will cost from $3,788 to $8,020.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Charleston?
Moving containers from Chicago to Charleston will cost you $848 to $1,674 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,574 to $2,492. A larger home will cost $2,068 to $3,062.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Charleston?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $597 to $826. A larger move will cost $630 to $972, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Charleston costs from $760 to $1,150.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Charleston
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Chicago to Charleston car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Charleston, WV a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Charleston
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$950|
|Average home value||$306,098||$151,330|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$55,955|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$1,866|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$4,269|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||6.5%|
- Rent Prices in Charleston, WV are 40% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Charleston, WV are 50.6% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Charleston, WV is 14.7% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Charleston, WV is 86.4% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Charleston, WV is 19.1% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Charleston, WV is 31.11% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Charleston, WV are 31.71% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Charleston, WV are 31.31% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $407.6 in Charleston to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Charleston, WV?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||2||9|
|Bike friendliness score||28||72|
- Charleston’s population is about 98% less than Chicago.
- Charleston’s public transportation is not as good as Chicago with a score of 2 vs 9.
- Charleston is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 33 vs 77.
- Charleston is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 28 vs 72.
- Charleston's crime rate is lower than Chicago with a score of 3.0 compared to 35.19.
- Charleston is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 46.06 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Charleston is Good, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Charleston, WV
- Weather: September, June and May are the most pleasant months in Charleston, while January and February are the least comfortable months..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In the Mountaineer State, the state’s Public Service Commission oversees local and intrastate movers. The commission strives to support and promote the interests of both businesses and consumers, and those interested in hiring an in-state mover can browse the Commission’s Regulated Motor Carrier Database to verify that they’re reputable businesses in good standing. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a West Virginia moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: West Virginia does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Charleston. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Charleston
Moving to The “Charlie West”? These are some of the best things to do in your new West Virginia home.
- State Capitol
- West Virginia State Museum
- Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences
- Capitol Street and Capitol Market
- West Virginia Veterans Memorial
- East End Historic District
- Governor's Mansion
- Kanawha State Forest
- Avampato Discovery Museum
Get your sports on!Charleston is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Charleston Golden Eagles (Mountain East)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Charleston
- New York City to Charleston
- Chicago to Charleston
- Houston to Charleston
- Phoenix to Charleston
- Philadelphia to Charleston
- San Antonio to Charleston
- San Diego to Charleston
- Dallas to Charleston
- San Jose to Charleston
Learn more about Charleston
- What Is The Cost To Move In Charleston?
- What Is The Cost To Move To West Virginia?
- Best Moving Companies in West Virginia
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!