Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Akron, OH averages from $914 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Akron, OH. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Akron to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Akron movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Akron.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Akron car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 752 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Akron?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$1,026 - $2,039||$864 - $1,197|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$1,917 - $3,048||$914 - $1,411|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$2,545 - $3,787||$1,153 - $1,667|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 752 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Akron will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Akron Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Akron?
To ship furniture from New York City to Akron with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Akron will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Akron?
Moving containers from New York City to Akron will cost you $1,026 to $2,039 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,917 to $3,048. A larger home will cost $2,545 to $3,787.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Akron?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $864 to $1,197. A larger move will cost $914 to $1,411, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Akron costs from $1,153 to $1,667.
How to ship a car from New York City to Akron
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to Akron car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Akron, OH a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Akron
|New York City||Akron|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$650|
|Average home value||$746,354||$118,418|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$59,578|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$1,543|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$4,120|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||3.99%|
- Rent Prices in Akron, OH are 81% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Akron, OH are 84.1% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Akron, OH is 17.2% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Akron, OH is 13.1% higher than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Akron, OH is 17.7% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Akron, OH is 38.39% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Akron, OH are 15.63% lower than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Akron, OH are 63.39% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,606.3 in Akron to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Akron, OH?
|Akron||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||10|
|Bike friendliness score||43||69|
- Akron’s population is about 98% less than New York City.
- Akron’s public transportation is not as good as New York City with a score of 5 vs 10.
- Akron is less walkable than New York City with a score of 48 vs 88.
- Akron is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 43 vs 69.
- Akron's crime rate is lower than New York City with a score of 5.0 compared to 25.8.
- Akron is considered to be less safe than New York City with a score of 50.39 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Akron is Moderate, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Akron, OH
- Weather: Best months to move to Akron are June, August and September as these are the driest months heat is not extreme. Winters are cold and dry but typically bring a mix of rain, sleet, and snow with occasional heavy snowfall and icing..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in Ohio, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Ohio moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Ohio does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Akron. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
48 Wall St #1100, New York, NY, 10005
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Akron
Moving to The “Rubber City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Ohio home.
- Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
- Akron Zoo
- F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm
- Akron Civic Theatre
- Dr. Bob's Home
- Indian Signal Tree
Get your sports on!Akron is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Akron RubberDucks (Baseball-Eastern League)
- Akron Zips (MAC)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Akron
- New York City to Akron
- Chicago to Akron
- Houston to Akron
- Phoenix to Akron
- Philadelphia to Akron
- San Antonio to Akron
- San Diego to Akron
- Dallas to Akron
- San Jose to Akron
Learn more about Akron
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!