Moving from New York City, NY to Charleston, SC: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Charleston, SC averages from $603 to $5,769 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Charleston, SC. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Charleston to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Charleston movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Charleston.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Charleston car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 764 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Charleston?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,193 - $4,072||$782 - $1,896||$558 - $1,051|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,325 - $5,769||$1,408 - $2,765||$603 - $1,248|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,998 - $8,048||$1,888 - $3,601||$755 - $1,512|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 764 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Charleston will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Charleston Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Charleston?
To ship furniture from New York City to Charleston with a mover will cost between $1,193 to $4,072. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,325 to $5,769, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Charleston will cost from $3,998 to $8,048.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Charleston?
Moving containers from New York City to Charleston will cost you $782 to $1,896 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,408 to $2,765. A larger home will cost $1,888 to $3,601.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Charleston?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $558 to $1,051. A larger move will cost $603 to $1,248, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Charleston costs from $755 to $1,512.
How to ship a car from New York City to Charleston?
If you're moving from New York City to Charleston and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated New York City to Charleston car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Charleston, SC a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Charleston
|New York City||Charleston|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$1,560|
|Average home value||$746,354||$510,922|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$57,816|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$1,055|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$3,685|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||7.0%|
- Rent Prices in Charleston, SC are 54% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Charleston, SC are 31.5% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Charleston, SC is 19.7% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Charleston, SC is 22.7% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Charleston, SC is 26.4% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Charleston, SC is 64.29% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Charleston, SC are 12.50% higher than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Charleston, SC are 35.78% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,320.4 in Charleston to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Charleston, SC?
|Charleston||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||3||10|
|Bike friendliness score||50||69|
- Charleston’s population is about 98% less than New York City.
- Charleston’s public transportation is better than New York City with a score of 3 vs 10.
- Charleston is less walkable than New York City with a score of 40 vs 88.
- Charleston is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 50 vs 69.
- Charleston's crime rate is lower than New York City with a score of 18.0 compared to 25.8.
- Charleston is considered to be safer than New York City with a safety index of 61.13 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Charleston is Good, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Charleston, SC
- Weather: Consider moving to Charleston around October, April and May as these are the most pleasant months, while July and August are the least comfortable ones due to thunderstorms which can cause delays in your moving plans..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: To promote safety, economic development, and ethical business practices, the South Carolina Office of Regulatory Staff (ORS) oversees movers in the state. They are responsible for inspecting, examining, and auditing public utility providers like movers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a South Carolina moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: South Carolina does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Charleston. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Charleston, SC
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Holy City", these are the best neighborhoods in Charleston to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Harleston Village
- James Island
- North Charleston
- South of Broad West Ashley
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Mount Pleasant
- Park Circle
- Stiles Point
- Wagener Terrace
What to do in Charleston
Moving to The “The Holy City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new South Carolina home.
- City Market
- Fort Sumter National Monument
- James Island
- Boone Hall
- Waterfront Park
- Dock Street Theater
- South Carolina Aquarium
- Magnolia Cemetery
- Rainbow Row
- Old Slave Mart
Get your sports on!Charleston is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Charleston RiverDogs (Carolina League)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Charleston
- Chicago to Charleston
- Houston to Charleston
- Phoenix to Charleston
- Philadelphia to Charleston
- San Antonio to Charleston
- San Diego to Charleston
- Dallas to Charleston
- San Jose to Charleston
- Austin to Charleston