Quick Answer: The cost to move from New York City, NY to Tucson, AZ averages from $1,107 to $6,843 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Tucson, AZ. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Tucson to New York City guide.
- Best New York City to Tucson movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from New York City to Tucson.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- New York City to Tucson car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,256 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from New York City to Tucson?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,255 - $4,964||$1,214 - $2,273||$1,056 - $1,459|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,013 - $6,843||$2,286 - $3,410||$1,107 - $1,706|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,344 - $9,648||$3,054 - $4,265||$1,386 - $2,036|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,256 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from New York City to Tucson will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best New York City to Tucson Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from New York City to Tucson?
To ship furniture from New York City to Tucson with a mover will cost between $1,255 to $4,964. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,013 to $6,843, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from New York City to Tucson will cost from $5,344 to $9,648.
How much are moving container companies from New York City to Tucson?
Moving containers from New York City to Tucson will cost you $1,214 to $2,273 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,286 to $3,410. A larger home will cost $3,054 to $4,265.
How much is a moving truck from New York City to Tucson?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,056 to $1,459. A larger move will cost $1,107 to $1,706, and a 4+ bedroom move from New York City to Tucson costs from $1,386 to $2,036.
How to ship a car from New York City to Tucson
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable New York City to Tucson car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from New York City, NY to Tucson, AZ a good idea?
Cost of Living: New York City vs Tucson
|New York City||Tucson|
|Average rent cost||$3,367||$895|
|Average home value||$746,354||$300,294|
|Average income (per capita)||$71,983||$56,826|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,364||$848|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$5,009||$2,936|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||4.5%|
- Rent Prices in Tucson, AZ are 73% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Home Prices in Tucson, AZ are 59.8% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Income in Tucson, AZ is 21.1% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Tucson, AZ is 37.8% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in Tucson, AZ is 41.4% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Unemployment rate in Tucson, AZ is 33.93% lower than in New York City, NY.
- Sales Taxes in Tucson, AZ are 8.75% higher than in New York City, NY.
- State Income Taxes in Tucson, AZ are 58.72% lower than in New York City, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $1,865.1 in Tucson to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in New York City.
How is life different in New York City, NY to Tucson, AZ?
|Tucson||New York City|
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||10|
|Bike friendliness score||66||69|
- Tucson’s population is about 94% less than New York City.
- Tucson’s public transportation is not as good as New York City with a score of 5 vs 10.
- Tucson is less walkable than New York City with a score of 43 vs 88.
- Tucson is less bike-friendly than New York City with a score of 66 vs 69.
- Tucson's crime rate is higher than New York City with a score of 43.93 compared to 25.8.
- Tucson is considered to be less safe than New York City with a score of 49.81 vs 52.42.
- Air Quality in Tucson is Good, and in New York City it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Tucson, AZ
- Weather: Extreme heat may cause discomfort if you choose to move in the summer. Pay close attention to heat sensitive household items such as instruments, antique furniture, and electronics. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Though Arizona is largely an “unregulated” state, local moving companies are subject to some Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) and Department of Weights and Measures regulations intended to ensure that they operate safely and ethically. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Arizona moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Arizona does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Tucson. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local New York City Movers
|Get A Quote||
311 W 43rd St, New York, NY, 10036
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
100 Bowne Street, New York, NY, 11231
|Roadway Moving||Get A Quote||
845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY, 11232
Visit our Best Movers in New York City page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Tucson
Moving to The “The Old Pueblo”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Arizona home.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway
- Sabino Canyon
- Pima Air and Space Museum
- Saguaro National Park
- Mission San Xavier del Bac
- Gates Pass
- Madera Canyon
- Catalina State Park
- Tohono Chul
- Tucson Botanical Gardens
- The Gaslight Theatre
- DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun Museum
- Cactus Forest Drive
- Reid Park Zoo
Get your sports on!Tucson is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- University of Arizona Wildcats (NCAA)
- Tucson Saguaros (Pecos League)
- Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- FC Tucson (USL)
- Tucson Monsoon (IWFL)
- Tucson Sugar Skulls (IFL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Tucson
- New York City to Tucson
- Chicago to Tucson
- Houston to Tucson
- Philadelphia to Tucson
- San Antonio to Tucson
- San Diego to Tucson
- Dallas to Tucson
- San Jose to Tucson
- Austin to Tucson
Learn more about Tucson
- What Is The Cost To Move In Tucson?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Arizona?
- Best Moving Companies in Tucson, AZ
- Best Moving Companies in Arizona
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!