Moving from Albany, NY to San Francisco, CA: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Albany, NY to San Francisco, CA averages from $1,816 to $8,540 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to San Francisco, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from San Francisco to Albany guide.
- Best Albany to San Francisco movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Albany to San Francisco.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Albany to San Francisco car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,929 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Albany to San Francisco?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,425 - $6,010||$1,514 - $3,777||$1,677 - $3,254|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,254 - $8,540||$2,684 - $5,621||$1,816 - $3,873|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,004 - $13,234||$3,708 - $7,680||$2,296 - $4,756|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,929 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Albany to San Francisco will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Albany to San Francisco Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Albany to San Francisco?
To ship furniture from Albany to San Francisco with a mover will cost between $1,425 to $6,010. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,254 to $8,540, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Albany to San Francisco will cost from $8,004 to $13,234.
How much are moving container companies from Albany to San Francisco?
Moving containers from Albany to San Francisco will cost you $1,514 to $3,777 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,684 to $5,621. A larger home will cost $3,708 to $7,680.
How much is a moving truck from Albany to San Francisco?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,677 to $3,254. A larger move will cost $1,816 to $3,873, and a 4+ bedroom move from Albany to San Francisco costs from $2,296 to $4,756.
How to ship a car from Albany to San Francisco
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Albany to San Francisco car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Albany, NY to San Francisco, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Albany vs San Francisco
|Average rent cost||$1,125||$2,900|
|Average home value||$274,500||$1,579,001|
|Average income (per capita)||$63,475||$123,859|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,801||$1,270|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$4,205||$4,576|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in San Francisco, CA are 158% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Home Prices in San Francisco, CA are 475.2% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Income in San Francisco, CA is 95.1% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in San Francisco, CA is 29.5% lower than in Albany, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in San Francisco, CA is 8.8% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Unemployment rate in San Francisco, CA is 29.58% lower than in Albany, NY.
- Sales Taxes in San Francisco, CA are 7.88% higher than in Albany, NY.
- State Income Taxes in San Francisco, CA are 22.02% higher than in Albany, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,115.5 in San Francisco to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Albany.
How is life different in Albany, NY to San Francisco, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||10||8|
|Bike friendliness score||99||55|
- San Francisco’s population is about 781% greater than Albany.
- San Francisco’s public transportation is not as good as Albany with a score of 10 vs 8.
- San Francisco is more walkable than Albany with a score of 99 vs 65.
- San Francisco is more bike-friendly than Albany with a score of 99 vs 55.
- San Francisco's crime rate is higher than Albany with a score of 50.72 compared to 10.0.
- San Francisco is considered to be less safe than Albany with a score of 40.45 vs 49.65.
- Air Quality in San Francisco is Moderate, and in Albany it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to San Francisco, CA
- Weather: San Francisco's weather is strongly influenced by the cool currents of the Pacific Ocean on the west side of the city, and the water of San Francisco Bay to the north and east. This moderates temperature swings and produces a remarkably mild year-round climate with little seasonal temperature variation..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to San Francisco. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Albany Movers
|Mabey's Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
515 Third Avenue Extension, Rensselaer, NY, 12144
|Mack's Moving Company||Get A Quote||
4 Center Street, Green Island, NY, 12183
|Lamanna Moving & Storage, LLC||Get A Quote||
559 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12204
Visit our Best Movers in Albany page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in San Francisco, CA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Golden Gate City", these are the best neighborhoods in San Francisco to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Marina District
- Mission Bay
- Mission District
- Noe Valley
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Bernal Heights
- Inner Sunset
- Noe Valley
- North Beach
- Presidio Heights
What to do in San Francisco
Moving to The “The Golden Gate City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Fisherman's Wharf
- Alcatraz Island
- San Francisco Cable Cars
- Golden Gate Park
- San Francisco's Chinatown
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- The Exploratorium
- California Academy of Science
- Twin Peaks
- Yerba Buena Gardens
- Legion of Honor Museum
- Palace of Fine Arts
- Ferry Building Marketplace
- Mission District
- Union Square
- City Lights Booksellers and Publishers
- Asian Art Museum
- Presidio of San Francisco
- Lands End
Get your sports on!San Francisco is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- San Francisco 49ers (NFL)
- San Francisco Giants (MLB)
- Golden State Warriors (NBA)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to San Francisco
- Chicago to San Francisco
- Houston to San Francisco
- Phoenix to San Francisco
- Philadelphia to San Francisco
- San Antonio to San Francisco
- Dallas to San Francisco
- Austin to San Francisco
- Jacksonville to San Francisco
- Fort Worth to San Francisco
Learn more about San Francisco
- What Is The Cost To Move In San Francisco?
- What Is The Cost To Move To California?
- Who’s Moving Into and Out of San Francisco?
- Tips on Moving to San Francisco, CA: Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in San Francisco, CA
- Best Moving Companies in California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!