Moving from Albany, NY to San Jose, CA: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Albany, NY to San Jose, CA averages from $1,830 to $8,620 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to San Jose, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from San Jose to Albany guide.
- Best Albany to San Jose movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Albany to San Jose.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Albany to San Jose car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,961 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Albany to San Jose?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,439 - $6,066||$1,522 - $3,799||$1,690 - $3,278|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,293 - $8,620||$2,699 - $5,654||$1,830 - $3,904|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,078 - $13,357||$3,729 - $7,727||$2,314 - $4,793|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,961 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Albany to San Jose will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Albany to San Jose Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Albany to San Jose?
To ship furniture from Albany to San Jose with a mover will cost between $1,439 to $6,066. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,293 to $8,620, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Albany to San Jose will cost from $8,078 to $13,357.
How much are moving container companies from Albany to San Jose?
Moving containers from Albany to San Jose will cost you $1,522 to $3,799 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,699 to $5,654. A larger home will cost $3,729 to $7,727.
How much is a moving truck from Albany to San Jose?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,690 to $3,278. A larger move will cost $1,830 to $3,904, and a 4+ bedroom move from Albany to San Jose costs from $2,314 to $4,793.
How to ship a car from Albany to San Jose
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Albany to San Jose car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Albany, NY to San Jose, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Albany vs San Jose
|Average rent cost||$1,125||$2,500|
|Average home value||$274,500||$1,444,420|
|Average income (per capita)||$63,475||$75,709|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,801||$1,033|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$4,205||$3,704|
|State Income Tax||10.9%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in San Jose, CA are 122% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Home Prices in San Jose, CA are 426.2% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Income in San Jose, CA is 19.3% higher than in Albany, NY.
- Cost of Living for a single person in San Jose, CA is 42.6% lower than in Albany, NY.
- Cost of Living for a family in San Jose, CA is 11.9% lower than in Albany, NY.
- Unemployment rate in San Jose, CA is 1.41% lower than in Albany, NY.
- Sales Taxes in San Jose, CA are 17.25% higher than in Albany, NY.
- State Income Taxes in San Jose, CA are 22.02% higher than in Albany, NY.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $1,720.7 in San Jose to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Albany.
How is life different in Albany, NY to San Jose, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||7||8|
|Bike friendliness score||62||55|
- San Jose’s population is about 921% greater than Albany.
- San Jose’s public transportation is not as good as Albany with a score of 7 vs 8.
- San Jose is less walkable than Albany with a score of 51 vs 65.
- San Jose is more bike-friendly than Albany with a score of 62 vs 55.
- San Jose's crime rate is higher than Albany with a score of 28.18 compared to 10.0.
- San Jose is considered to be safer than Albany with a safety index of 53.91 vs 49.65.
- Air Quality in San Jose is Good, and in Albany it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to San Jose, CA
- Weather: San Jose, like most of the Bay Area, has warm to hot, dry summers and mild to cool, wet winters. The city is somewhat more sheltered from rain, giving it a semi-arid feel .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to San Jose. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Albany Movers
|Mabey's Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
515 Third Avenue Extension, Rensselaer, NY, 12144
|Mack's Moving Company||Get A Quote||
4 Center Street, Green Island, NY, 12183
|Lamanna Moving & Storage, LLC||Get A Quote||
559 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12204
Visit our Best Movers in Albany page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in San Jose, CA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Man Jose", these are the best neighborhoods in San Jose to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- West San Jose
- Willow Glen
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Cambrian Park
- West San Jose
- Willow Glen
What to do in San Jose
Moving to The “Man Jose”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Municipal Rose Garden
- Winchester Mystery House
- Tech Museum of Innovation
- Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
- Los Gatos Creek Trail
- San Jose Museum of Art
- San Pedro Square Market
- Willow Glen
- San Jose Flea Market
Get your sports on!San Jose is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- San Jose Barracuda (AHL)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
- San Jose Giants (California League)
- San Jose Sharks (NHL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to San Jose
- Chicago to San Jose
- Houston to San Jose
- Phoenix to San Jose
- Philadelphia to San Jose
- San Antonio to San Jose
- Dallas to San Jose
- Austin to San Jose
- Jacksonville to San Jose
- Fort Worth to San Jose
Learn more about San Jose
- What Is The Cost To Move In San Jose?
- What Is The Cost To Move To California?
- Best Moving Companies in San Jose, CA
- Best Moving Companies in California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!